IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Hi everyone.. I have had my Brooklyn for over a year and decided to finally invest in a LPSU to test and see whether I get sonic improvements from this in my setup. I looked at the various options from MCRU, Booster etc. The PSU is from China and being modified from a new spec replacing one that on other forums I have seen that people had purchased and commented very positively about the specification of the PSU. If anyone is interested the PSU has an updated rectification and smoothing board and circuit and I requested an R-Core transformer to be added.

It looks like mine is now available on eBay as a finished item (I assume it was the first as I had to request the modification). If anyone is interested, I will be happy to provide feedback on it's use when it arrives and has had time to soak in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-mirror-style-100VA-R-core-Ultra-Low-Noise-Linear-Power-supply-DC-5V-30V/132158047595?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D0401b1f48d0d469fad2676c9da13b65e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131918257571

Simon

TB2aqoKl3FkpuFjSspnXXb4qFXa_!!1816774652.jpg

TB2DRVNoylnpuFjSZFgXXbi7FXa_!!1816774652.jpg

TB2GZH6l8NkpuFjy0FaXXbRCVXa_!!1816774652.jpg

TB2uyI1lYFkpuFjy1XcXXclapXa_!!1816774652.jpg

4 hours ago, rickca said:

I'm pretty sure the reference is to the ES9038PRO 

http://www.esstech.com/index.php?cID=360

I am no deep level expert but having reviewed the specs (9038 PRO vs 9018) (-122dB THD+N vs -120dB), added HW features like DSD over DoP (which many DACs have built externally), plus a few comments from designers I have seen that discuss that the vast majority of the DAC performance/differentiation is the surrounding electronics (and especially the analogue parts) then I am not inclined to rush to change. The Manhattan II uses this new ESS DAC chip and of course there will be a Brooklyn II that will use this chip as well given Mytek have integrated it on the flagship model, and it will be a needed bullet on the selling data sheet.

There will be many of course that the latest chip means a new purchase. In an era of software evolvable feature sets the likes of Chord with FPGA approaches make sense. 

1 hour ago, anroj said:

I am using a Wireworld Starlight 3.0 USB cable from my W4S RUR, that is powered by my HDPLEX 300, into the iDSD BL.

Anroj,

Get a LPS-1 and ISO-REGEN combo, when available, to power and clean the signal to your IFI BL.  You'll be amazed at how good the IFI can sound!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

2 hours ago, lmitche said:

Anroj,

Get a LPS-1 and ISO-REGEN combo, when available, to power and clean the signal to your IFI BL.  You'll be amazed at how good the IFI can sound!

I'm actually saving up for a T+A DAC 8 DSD or Holo Spring DAC Kitsune Edition.

4 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Larry, where/how is the LPS-1 being used in an iFi dac setup?

Ditto ... how does this setup go?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I recently bought the Brooklyn. While I have had some troubles with the Mytek drivers (see other posts), I like the DAC a lot.  I am also a fan of MQA.  I know some people think it is all hocus pocus, but to my ears MQA really makes a difference.  When I have a little more time in, I will post a more formal review.

8 minutes ago, anroj said:

Awesome! Thank you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QHL2PTA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G0Q4B7A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZQEIJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The usb cable was modified by pulling pin one from the data side, and taping the shield.

I expect to replace this investment of ~$15 with an ISO-REGEN and 2 USPCBs.shortly!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 19/04/2017 at 6:31 PM, m5sime said:

Hi everyone.. I have had my Brooklyn for over a year and decided to finally invest in a LPSU to test and see whether I get sonic improvements from this in my setup. I looked at the various options from MCRU, Booster etc. The PSU is from China and being modified from a new spec replacing one that on other forums I have seen that people had purchased and commented very positively about the specification of the PSU. If anyone is interested the PSU has an updated rectification and smoothing board and circuit and I requested an R-Core transformer to be added.

Simon

Hi! My PSU arrived and I have been doing some tests with the Brooklyn. Its early days, but bass on tracks is less bloated and driving less room effects in my setup. I guess I need to work out how to listen for the improvements more, and also allow the PSU to break-in some more. The quality is pretty good. There was a strong chemical (paint) smell which is going away and the build overall is good (for the price). 

If anyone can share experiences of an outboard PSU and things you heard A/B tested against the onboard switch-mode PSU I would be really grateful. 

4 hours ago, m5sime said:

If anyone can share experiences of an outboard PSU and things you heard A/B tested against the onboard switch-mode PSU I would be really grateful. 

I am using this eBay-sourced 100 VA PS with my Brooklyn. The Brooklyn is a good ~$2000 DAC, until you add a decent external power supply. Then it becomes a great DAC that can hold its own against probably anything below $10k. With an external power supply, every sound becomes completely pure and resolution increases. Phenomenal! 

The Brooklyn's built in power supply is a very small switching unit. The Brooklyn's sound is coarse and just average, just a little better than an Auralic Vega. With the external linear PS, oh my, the entire upper frequency range loses this coarseness, the soundstage gets much more specific and bigger, and the bass is better defined. IMO, used without an external poser supply, the Brooklyn belongs in Stereophile Class B. With a good linear supply, Class A is fully appropriate.

I have a good analog rig - http://www.10audio.com/references.htm - but am very content to listen to the Brooklyn with external PS. In fact, my own 24/192 recordings of my LPs sound very similar to the LP itself.

Happy listening!

Regards,

JerryS 

100VA.JPG

10 minutes ago, JerryS said:

I am using this eBay-sourced 100 VA PS with my Brooklyn. The Brooklyn is a good ~$2000 DAC, until you add a decent external power supply. Then it becomes a great DAC that can hold its own against probably anything below $10k. With an external power supply, every sound becomes completely pure and resolution increases. Phenomenal! 

Thank you Jerry! I am going to do more A/B tests and listen to the differences it makes. Your PSU looks similar to the one I have (regulation circuit is different but same R-Core transformer).