IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

2 hours ago, JerryS said:

I am using this eBay-sourced 100 VA PS with my Brooklyn. The Brooklyn is a good ~$2000 DAC, until you add a decent external power supply. Then it becomes a great DAC that can hold its own against probably anything below $10k. With an external power supply, every sound becomes completely pure and resolution increases. Phenomenal! 

The Brooklyn's built in power supply is a very small switching unit. The Brooklyn's sound is coarse and just average, just a little better than an Auralic Vega. With the external linear PS, oh my, the entire upper frequency range loses this coarseness, the soundstage gets much more specific and bigger, and the bass is better defined. IMO, used without an external poser supply, the Brooklyn belongs in Stereophile Class B. With a good linear supply, Class A is fully appropriate.

I have a good analog rig - http://www.10audio.com/references.htm - but am very content to listen to the Brooklyn with external PS. In fact, my own 24/192 recordings of my LPs sound very similar to the LP itself.

Happy listening!

Regards,

JerryS 

100VA.JPG

Most of the reviews I have read, and my own experience to date, would see the Brooklyn as Class A (or maybe B+).  I definitely like it better than my Modwright modded Oppo 105d,  a TAS produvt of the year.  But an external power supply seems like a good idea for people like me who also want a transportable headphone amp, which the Brooklyn is small enough to be.  What are the top PS's (besides the 100 VA)?

I have owned the Brooklyn for almost a year now, and tried quite a few external linear power supplies with it. Starting with the HD Plex 200 ($395), then the Vinnie Rossi "Mini" Ultracap supply ($995). I found them both to be rather disappointing, compared to the built-in power supply with an upgraded power cord. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a post on AudioCircle on linear power supplies, in which someone mentioned an American made Astron RS12A. They sell new for a bit over $100. I purchased one, not expecting much improvement, and gave it a try. I'm sure glad that I did, for it was a major sonic upgrade in my system! It gave me a lot more energy, dynamics and detail, without the "soft" sound of the two mentioned above. It also did the same thing for my Tortuga LDR pre-amp, on which I was using an R-core transformer based supply that I purchased on E-Bay. The Astron is built like a tank, and can be used to power several 12 Volt DC powered components. I also tried a variable voltage version of the Astron on my MicroRendu (7 Volts), and it was quite good there too, but not quite as good as the Uptone Audio ultracap powered LPS-1 that I am now enjoying. I have had a few friends try the Astron RS12A on their LDR pre-amps, and they were equally impressed by it.

At that silly price it's worth the entrance fee. Shame it's not in the UK.

The IFI DC PURIFIER Added something the the Sbooster I have. The topaz Elgar balanced isolation transformer State side is another gem for pre your Astron.

Differential filtering and according to John Swenson the low winding Capacitance filters some of the high level frequencies. 

Loads of details on CA

Good luck and hi all

Dave

15 hours ago, smartin said:

As a counterpoint, I haven't found that an external power supply makes an improvement.  I tried a JS-2 and a car battery (because Mytek mentioned it, and figured why not try...).  I did not notice any improvement.  Objectively, the Brooklyn's PSU is very quiet (see figure 9 in the Stereophile review).  I am still using the JS-2 as I don't have a use for the second output (I don't really have a use for the first either, currently using it to power an LPS-1 (unneccesary) which powers an Adnaco USB extender), but would happily use the built in PSU if I had another use for the JS-2.

Thank you! I admit that I struggle with hearing night and day differences with some tweaks like cables and power so have to try harder to hear. But I also think if I don't hear something then how much is the change worth in monetary terms. I will see how I get on.

10 minutes ago, Octavius said:

I use a Qualiaphysic PSU with my Brooklyn.

It simply gets the Brooklyn's sound quality to a different level. It gets more organic, with lower noise, better detail and focus. 

Couldn't be happier really.

When you say noise could you possibly describe this a little more?  I read regularly about professional reviews that talk of blacker backgrounds etc. In my setup I have zero audible noise even with the amplifier at high output and no file playing and my ear to the speaker. So I wonder what I might remove other than distortion of my actual audible sounds when playing a track 

2 minutes ago, diver110 said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you connect an external power supply?

The Brooklyn has a 5.5x2.5mm Dc 12v round connector on the back panel. The Mytek suggestion was a power supply with significantly more power capacity than the inboard PSU. So circa 6amp capable I believe. 

2 hours ago, m5sime said:

When you say noise could you possibly describe this a little more?  I read regularly about professional reviews that talk of blacker backgrounds etc. In my setup I have zero audible noise even with the amplifier at high output and no file playing and my ear to the speaker. So I wonder what I might remove other than distortion of my actual audible sounds when playing a track 

Actually in my setup using the Brooklyn's internal SMPS when you turn up the volume without any music playing some kind of white noise is audible. With the external linear PSU you can't hear anything.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.-

Groucho Marx

1 minute ago, tdimler said:

It is my impression that the Manhattan II is not shipping yet.

Actually it is.  I just got back from Axpona and somehow a Brooklyn made its way into my suitcase.  :o

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Improving USB chain has had my biggest improvement with the Brooklyn. Still really enjoying hacking the 5v into the intona.

Uptones LPS1 makes it shine. But it was bought for the new Uptone Iso.

I managed to bag one of the first batch via VortexBox uk. A long wait until it arrives at the end of May but i will let the thread know if it lives up to it reputation.

If its like the LPS-1 ..No issues there..

cheers

Dave

one side topic... The touchy cables...

Using John Swenson's  theory of Using twisted wires to improve the signal integrity.  Using cable like shieldless Quad canare as a DC cable.. 

Using 2 wires per polarity acting as a noise canceling filter.

Do some reading on the DC cable thread on the uptone sponsored thread.

A few have waited for John to further this experiment. 

Canare Sleeving is 6mm so its tough getting a connector to fit.

i have parts coming all over the world to try on a couple for the custom experiments for the LPS1. 

Then try modding my SBooster if this works.

I know a few linears you guys use could easy swap out a removable cable...?

Something to think about. 

Materials so far about £25 for 2 cables...

Dave 

1 hour ago, jtwrace said:

It's working well.  :D

Brooklyn.JPG

I upgraded from the Vega to the Brooklyn and was surprised at the improvement.  It's even better with a high quality external power supply.

The phono input is terrific as well, if you have a turntable. It blows away some very expensive phono stages according to my turntable experts.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

So I've been shopping for a new preamp in the $1-2k price range (e.g. Tortuga LDR or Audio GD Master-1 on either ends of the spectrum) and while I am happy with my current DAC... is there any reason I shouldn't be considering replacing my pre, phono pre and DAC with a Brooklyn instead?  

My amp has balanced inputs and the Brooklyn's well regarded phono stage is icing on the cake.  As far as I can tell the Brooklyn works fine with the microRendu.  In the reviews I've read, there is nothing about the Brooklyn's sound charasteristics that make me think I wouldn't like it.  While I'm not crazy about the Apple Remote due to its diminutive size, a Brooklyn would streamline my system back down to two boxes from four.

i just feel like I'm overlooking something, but I can't imagine what it would be.

I'm using an LPS-1 with my microRendu.  I'm not sure I would want to go this route, but can two LPS-1 p/s's be wired together to get 12v for use with the Brooklyn?

4 minutes ago, mrvco said:

So I've been shopping for a new preamp in the $1-2k price range (e.g. Tortuga LDR or Audio GD Master-1 on either ends of the spectrum) and while I am happy with my current DAC... is there any reason I shouldn't be considering replacing my pre, phono pre and DAC with a Brooklyn instead?  

My amp has balanced inputs and the Brooklyn's well regarded phono stage is icing on the cake.  As far as I can tell the Brooklyn works fine with the microRendu.  In the reviews I've read, there is nothing about the Brooklyn's sound charasteristics that make me think I wouldn't like it.  While I'm not crazy about the Apple Remote due to its diminutive size, a Brooklyn would streamline my system back down to two boxes from four.

i just feel like I'm overlooking something, but I can't imagine what it would be.

I'm using an LPS-1 with my microRendu.  I'm not sure I would want to go this route, but can two LPS-1 p/s's be wired together to get 12v for use with the Brooklyn?

Well, it is the road I went down, and so far I am glad I did.  The Brooklyn is a great value, and for me it has also saved money.  You don't need a cd player or a preamp.  If you are determined to get a preamp, I would look for a used CJ ET3SE.  It is truly a great preamp and mine and a couple of others are for sale at the upper end of your range on Audiogon.

17 hours ago, lmitche said:

I upgraded from the Vega to the Brooklyn and was surprised at the improvement.  It's even better with a high quality external power supply.

The phono input is terrific as well, if you have a turntable. It blows away some very expensive phono stages according to my turntable experts.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to send my VInnie Rossi MINI back to have it output 12VDC and then it can power the Brooklyn and the sMS-200.  :D

http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

3 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to send my VInnie Rossi MINI back to have it output 12VDC and then it can power the Brooklyn and the sMS-200.  :D

http://www.vinnierossi.com/mini/

Just be prepared if SQ suffers. I tried to power both my tX-USB ultra and Brooklyn from one VR mini and it sounded harsh and musicality was lost. Now my VR powers the Brooklyn only and the sound is breathtaking again