IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Middy,

The Uptone.LPS 1 might well sound awesome with the Brooklyn, but it's power rating of 7.5V at 2.9A would seem marginal for the Brooklyn's spec for an external power supply of "12V, 4 - 6 A". The Brooklyn's back panel shows 7-14V, however.

Looking at VA requirements, 7.5V at 2.9A = 21.75 VA, which is less than the minimum for the Brooklyn: 7V at 4A = 28 VA.

Happy listening.

Regards,

JerryS

45 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Has anyone compared the Brooklyn or the Manhattan II to the Vega?  If so, what are your subjective thoughts?  I haven't been able to find any Manhattan II measurements either.  

Using a  HD Plex external power supply for the Brooklyn I found the Brooklyn to be superior to the Vega at DSD 256. My Vega was Hardware upgraded so it could take native 256. Without the external power supply I found it to be a close call, but I still prefer the Brooklyn.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

1 minute ago, zorntel said:

Using a  HD Plex external power supply for the Brooklyn I found the Brooklyn to be superior to the Vega at DSD 256. My Vega was Hardware upgraded so it could take native 256. Without the external power supply I found it to be a close call, but I still prefer the Brooklyn.

Robert

Wow.  That's very high remarks!  Have you ever tried the exasound e32 with the PP?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

3 hours ago, JerryS said:

Middy,

The Uptone.LPS 1 might well sound awesome with the Brooklyn, but it's power rating of 7.5V at 2.9A would seem marginal for the Brooklyn's spec for an external power supply of "12V, 4 - 6 A". The Brooklyn's back panel shows 7-14V, however.

Looking at VA requirements, 7.5V at 2.9A = 21.75 VA, which is less than the minimum for the Brooklyn: 7V at 4A = 28 VA.

Happy listening.

Regards,

JerryS

Oh I wish it could drive the brooklyn .

This was bypassing 5v on the USB bus.

Feeding the intona reclocker.. into the Brooklyn. ...Vinnie or JS2 . my dream Brooklyn feeder

I have the Sbooster 12v to 13v on duty with the IFI DC PURIFIER...

Would like a manhattan2 overview.. though.

Sorry for any confusion Jerry?

LPS1 feeding the usb just smashing..

3 hours ago, jtwrace said:

Wow.  That's very high remarks!  Have you ever tried the exasound e32 with the PP?  

I agree with Zorntel.  The Brooklyn with an external power supply beats the Vega hands down.  However, in the end I sold both and went with the $549 IFI Black Label powered by an LPS-1 and running at DSD512 with hHqplayer upsampling.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

3 hours ago, lmitche said:

I agree with Zorntel.  The Brooklyn with an external power supply beats the Vega hands down.  However, in the end I sold both and went with the $549 IFI Black Label powered by an LPS-1 and running at DSD512 with hHqplayer upsampling.

Interesting ... sure I read that the iFi people regarded their dac2 as superior to the BL iDSD.

Might go with this though - looking for an 'interim' dsd dac.

(til Uptone release their dac!, which'll make it a lengthy interim).

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

5 hours ago, lmitche said:

I have a Vinnie Rossi MINI that I could power it with.  So you feel as though the IFI Black Label sounds better?  I have yet to see the measurements of the Black Label whereas the Brooklyn is quite good.  Not close to the Vega or e32.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

2 hours ago, jtwrace said:

I have a Vinnie Rossi MINI that I could power it with.  So you feel as though the IFI Black Label sounds better?  I have yet to see the measurements of the Black Label whereas the Brooklyn is quite good.  Not close to the Vega or e32.  

I use an IFI Black Label at DSD 512 also powered by an LPS-1. Actually the LPS-1 powers an Adnaco fiber to USB converter which in turn powers the IFI.  The sound from the system using hqplayer for upsampling is far superior to either the Vega or the Brooklyn (I own both)  at DSD256. People including non audiophiles can clearly hear the difference.

Robert

Software: Roon/HQplayer; System I: Roon Server/HQplayer DSD 512 Upsampling, Custom Windows 10 PC/AO, LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; Holo Cyan DAC; VPI Scout 2 Turntable, Soundsmith Boheme, TTW Clamps and Carbon Matt; Cary SLP-98P Preamp; Van Alstine FET 600 Poweramp;  Aerial Acoustics 6T loudspeakers, SVS SB13 Ultra Subwoofers. System II: Custom PC with Signalyst Linux HQplayer NAA; LPS-1 powered Startech USB card; LPS-1 powered ISO Regen; IFI Micro iDSD Black Label; Primaluna Dialogue 2 with Tung Sol KT-150; Paradigm Studio 20 v3 monitors on Custom Mapleshade stands. Cables: Moon Audio, LUSH, Kimber Kable, Mapleshade, LARRY custom.

I own both the Ifi I dsd black and the Brooklyn. Though the  Ifi I dsd black is stunningly good (It beats my now sold mytek 192) in a direct A-B comparison there simply is no doubt That the Brooklyn is the winner hands down. It is at least twice as good to my ears and begs for a system worthy of showing the difference. And all that is said without taking Its amazing phono stage into account which could justify the price of the brooklyn on Its own. 

32 minutes ago, Totsipaki said:

I own both the Ifi I dsd black and the Brooklyn. Though the  Ifi I dsd black is stunningly good (It beats my now sold mytek 192) in a direct A-B comparison there simply is no doubt That the Brooklyn is the winner hands down. It is at least twice as good to my ears and begs for a system worthy of showing the difference. And all that is said without taking Its amazing phono stage into account which could justify the price of the brooklyn on Its own. 

It completely depends what you're feeding it. The Brooklyn doesn't take DSD 512 where the IFI does. If you compare IFI at 512 to the Brooklyn at 256 they're not in the same league. Comparing DSD 256 across the two Dac's it's very close,  although I would still take the IFI  if it's powered by an LPS-1. 

I dont like software upsampling of any kind.To my ears this method makes my music library too homogenized and lacking variety. Come to think of It variety and faith fullness to the original is part of the Ifi bit perfect philosophy.      I am curious to try the upcoming hardware upsampling of the Brooklyn though despite being uncertain I would like the result. 

Allowing 512 input?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

Ι believe that the firmware update will allow up to dsd256 internal hardware upsampling which is as high as the Brooklyn goes. If upsampling to Dsd 512 or higher is your thing I would advise you to wait for the soon to be released Ifi i DSD pro or get the T&A dsd dac and not downgrade to the though fantastic not as good I dsd micro. 

54 minutes ago, mozes said:

Hi

If anyone is using Roon with the Brooklyn, can you pls let me know if Roon can recognize the ASIO driver? I can only connect to the Brooklyn wasapi driver.

Is this normal? sorry I am new to Roon just installed it yesterday.

I use Roon and Brooklyn AISO driver without issues.

12 hours ago, zorntel said:

It completely depends what you're feeding it. The Brooklyn doesn't take DSD 512 where the IFI does. If you compare IFI at 512 to the Brooklyn at 256 they're not in the same league. Comparing DSD 256 across the two Dac's it's very close,  although I would still take the IFI  if it's powered by an LPS-1. 

I have both the iFi iDSD and Mytek Brooklyn. I got the iFi a couple of weeks ago and have just now settled down to do some serious listening to the iDSD at DSD512 vs. Brooklyn at DSD256. I like what I hear in my system from the iDSD at DSD512, but in my opinion, and in my system, the Brooklyn beats it hands down. I do think the iDSD is very good and is a terrific value at its price point, but for me, and once again, in my system, the iDSD soundstage seems artificially wide at the expense of soundstage depth. Also, the bass is a little looser and not as defined as with the Brooklyn. If I didn't have the Brooklyn in my system, I could live happily with the iDSD playing DSD512 music. The Brooklyn to me is the more natural and refined of the two.

2 hours ago, anroj said:

I have both the iFi iDSD and Mytek Brooklyn. I got the iFi a couple of weeks ago and have just now settled down to do some serious listening to the iDSD at DSD512 vs. Brooklyn at DSD256. I like what I hear in my system from the iDSD at DSD512, but in my opinion, and in my system, the Brooklyn beats it hands down. I do think the iDSD is very good and is a terrific value at its price point, but for me, and once again, in my system, the iDSD soundstage seems artificially wide at the expense of soundstage depth. Also, the bass is a little looser and not as defined as with the Brooklyn. If I didn't have the Brooklyn in my system, I could live happily with the iDSD playing DSD512 music. The Brooklyn to me is the more natural and refined of the two.

Anroj, how are you connecting and powering the IFI?

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

@mytek  @Mytek_Support

Have the Brooklyn's measurements improved any with the latest firmware updates?  Where can I see the Manhattan II AP measurements?  

http://www.stereophile.com/content/mytek-hifi-brooklyn-da-processorheadphone-amplifier-measurements#DtDGp2RKJbegl2vT.97