IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

whilst at it... anyone (@Superdad?) knows if this will work with the EtheRegen? 😶

thanks

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

6 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

whilst at it... anyone (@Superdad?) knows if this will work with the EtheRegen? 😶

thanks

Those are sweet cables and I use the 100Gbe versions with my Mellanox switch. Likely worth a try. I haven't specifically tested that brand cable with the EtheRegen

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

32 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I feel a bit responsible for starting this latest fiber optics discussion. 
I think the subject has been enlightening enough now to not making any more confusion. 

I did based on knowledge from this tread as well as internet search, found several sources stating it won’t work. Hence I was afraid @AfterDark. started something that could turn out to be problematic. 

The reports of people saying that it won't work are why we need actual reports of what actually works with what...

Now we know better. And the discussion would happen sooner or later. I think better up front. Now we just have to wait for that one guy that won’t be able to make this 10GB FTLX1475D3BTL to work in his specific setup 😃

Edit:

@jabbr SFPQ28 / SFP28 fits SFP cages ?

They might work, might be even likely to work, but I haven't tried.

29 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

thanks

To answer this correctly, one must know what’s in the other end. With a Mikrotik switch it won’t as it’s a 10GB SFP+. With a Cisco 2960 or almost any FMC, it should work. 
This the area I myself misunderstood.  Hopefully I’ve got it right now. 

Orange cable indicate multi mode fiber. Type of laser unknown. 
I assume the modules itself are dual rate. As we now know, that doesn’t matter. 

FTLF1421P1BCL (or FTLF1421P1BTL) with yellow cable will always work. They are cheap on eBay. 

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

My objection was with the statement "ALL SFP+ modules will work in SFP cages" 

Is it really necessary to get all whipped up over that? Nobody would suggest ALL and mean ALL. The there’s a product somewhere that won’t work. Nobody reads that and really thinks ALL means ALL ALL the time. 

If we need to caveat ALL our speech at ALL times, count me out. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

With a Mikrotik switch it won’t as it’s a 10GB SFP+

yup, was thinking about getting one (or two) of those Mikrotik CSS610-8G-2S+IN switches
I'll stay with my TP-Link T2500G-10TS and single mode fiber to the ER, then

thank you

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

@ted_b

You can hardly be defined as a newbie 😀

And I do think the latest wisdom is finally quite clear to most of us. And it’s important to have this discussion at an early stage. 

If any of John’s devices may get a shorter life or a get slightly hotter  due to increased power draw, I’m sure we would be warned by now.

@AfterDark.  as a huge Uptone dealer has gotten @Superdad as well as @JohnSwenson blessings to sell and promote that specific FTLX1475D3BTL together with EtherRegen. 
So everything should be good. 

59 minutes ago, jabbr said:

7) those fiberoptic cables with an SFP+ connector at each end are **sweet** (mine have a QSFP28 connector at each end and I picked them up for really cheap).

Until you have to try and get them through an inaccessible hole in the floor behind a wall that also has other cables running through it that is! 😅

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

6 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

Until you have to try and get them through an inaccessible hole in the floor behind a wall that also has other cables running through it that is! 😅

yeah they are relatively short and I wouldn't use for in-wall installation. The advantage of the regular single mode cable is that the same cable is used from 1g -> 100g and up

Thanks so much for the summary core dump!  I will list what I have once I head downstairs and find the moving box labeled "fiber".  😎  I will assume most of it is throw away, but maybe that switch I had is still good. 

This next point is really a post I need to put in Alex's thread:  I am going to be doing 1.5Mhz PCM and DSD1024 (maybe), but definitely DSD256 multichannel, so I am weary of setting up an EtherRegen in its normal a->b setup.  100mbps won't cut it.  But that's not to say the EtherRegen is out.  Maybe it's the best thing I can use, going b->a?  Dunno yet. 

OK, I'm not a newbie, but anything I learned back in 2015 has atrophied or vanished from non-use.  😎

About jitter requirements. 
https://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may01/ewen_1_0501.pdf

It’s an old paper, but this was the requirement I was able to find. 

Just google “jitter 802.3ae requirements” if you like to dive into this. 

Is also seems specification varies a bit depending on use.

6848B0FC-7737-498C-AA9E-B0D2C8D6E5BF.thumb.jpeg.7c852a2fa129604f408270433dfbead3.jpeg

I expect the RIN (Relative Intensity Noise) number is important to. This is where FTLX1475D3BTL has better numbers. RIN 1420 is 120. 

63FE379D-9D58-4361-BF14-E2DD1C921941.thumb.jpeg.73617adced228845f09a7695181eb608.jpeg

63E691D0-12A8-4165-B363-23017BEEDC99.thumb.jpeg.0cacc9b6121351461064ea6fe2087a48.jpeg

With so close numbers in the data sheet between FTLX1475D3BTL and FTLF1421P1BCL one can assume you won’t hear any difference, like jabbr indicates. 

10 hours ago, jabbr said:

7) those fiberoptic cables with an SFP+ connector at each end are **sweet** (mine have a QSFP28 connector at each end and I picked them up for really cheap).

Thanks 🙏 for your posts, it helps many people 👍 (well, it certainly has helped me! 😀).

This cable does not seem to have been tried yet but I am feeling lucky and a little adventurous, so I just purchased 2 of these SFP+ Active Optical Cables made by MikroTik:

"Mikrotik S+AO0005 SFP+ 5m 10-Gigabit Fiber Channel Direct Attach Cable"

https://mikrotik.com/product/s_ao0005

To connect from MikroTik CRS305 switch to each of my EtherREGENs.

These MikroTik fiberoptic cables with SFP+ connector at each end are very reasonably priced, only about $US45 each, I am happy with the MikroTik switch so decided to stay with the same brand for these Active Optical Cables.

Have setup my MikroTik CRS305 switch for "Auto Negotiation" on all ports, if I have any trouble I'll just force them to 1G in MikroTik SwitchOS.

Screen Shot 2021-03-21 at 4.25.42 pm.png

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

On 3/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, fds said:

A pair of FTLX1475D3BCV transceivers has just arrived. Looking forward to try them with the CSS610 MikroTik switches later. This will be my first use of a 10GB fiber connection in my audio system. Will report back.

Last night I had my first listening session using the FTLX1475D3BCV transceivers inside the CSS610 MikroTik switches. While so far I did not do any A/B comparisons, my first impressions were very, very positive. Somehow I had the feeling that bass punch, timing and structure was improved, maybe timing in general, along with blacker backgrounds. In fact, I am quite happy with what I had experienced (despite simply using the cheap SMPS units to power the two CSS610). Will continue to test this along with other configurations (e.g. using one CSS610 only directly connected to the oR instead of the oM in between, better power supply units/power banks on the CSS610 and thereby avoiding to pollute the mains, replace Planet Tech SFPs with Finisar SFPs in oM/oR, etc.).

Here my used setup: Normal PS/Mac -> Supra CAT8 -> CSS610 with FTLX1475D3BCV -> Single Mode Fiber running at 10G -> CSS610 with FTLX1475D3BCV -> Sablon 2020 CAT cable -> oM with Planet Tech SFP transceiver -> Single Mode Fiber running at 1G -> oR with Planet Tech SFP transceiver -> Sablon 2020 USB cable -> T+A DAC8DSD at fixed volume setting and volume controlled in software -> mono power amps -> ...

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

12 hours ago, R1200CL said:

About jitter requirements. 
https://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ae/public/may01/ewen_1_0501.pdf

It’s an old paper, but this was the requirement I was able to find. 

Just google “jitter 802.3ae requirements” if you like to dive into this. 

Is also seems specification varies a bit depending on use.

I expect the RIN (Relative Intensity Noise) number is important to. This is where FTLX1475D3BTL has better numbers. RIN 1420

With so close numbers in the data sheet between FTLX1475D3BTL and FTLF1421P1BCL one can assume you won’t hear any difference, like jabbr indicates. 

The table discussed various applications for the Si 5334 clock generator device ... apropos the value of an external 10 Mhz clock reference, from the datasheet:

[1] For optimal jitter and phase noise performance, Silicon Labs requires the use of 48 to 54 MHz XTALs
compliant with the specifications noted in the Si534x/8x Family Reference Manuals. Using XTAL frequencies
other than these may be possible, but jitter and phase noise performance may be degraded. Contact Silicon
Labs to determine the impacts on your configuration.

So, the idea of randomly plopping in an external clock to "improve" a high quality network switch is ludicrous.

You can see that the ***end to end*** jitter measurements are in the 0.28 UI or 2ps range and jitter comes from the device electronics not just the clock. That means the device is required to reject external jitter. The network does not allow jitter to propogate from one device to another. I *do nothing* to jitter optimize a server except use a good NIC which is required to also meet these specifications regardless of how crappy an ATX supply is being used for it. Now if you don't consider 10Gbe to be tight enough, consider 25 Gbe where the UI is 1/2.5 the size and consequently the end to end jitter budget is in the femtosecond range. That's insane. Thats with SMPS supplies. That's worst case, being measured with injected jitter. There is magic going on in them there networks. 

In any case for the folks at home, you don't need to understand all the nitty gritty details of why this works, it just works. Noise does not make it across a modern fiberoptic network.

On 3/20/2021 at 4:25 PM, Superdad said:

In the context of using SPF+ transceivers in a 1Gbe device, you can’t have one device with an 10Gbe SFP+ cage and the other be just SFP.

I definitely shall test this 😀

Using the $99 Mikrotik switch. 

If not @Duke40 or @fds will post results before me. 

However I do agree that this is the general rule, and the reason is that a 10GB switch getting a 10GB module, will of cause transmit 10GB to a 1GB device. Won’t work. 

The more interesting question is if it’s sufficient enough (SQ wise) to just use the anticipated best 10GB module in EtherRegen or opticalRendu, and use a reasonable priced 1421 in the 10GB switch. I think this approach is supported by @jabbr 

On 3/20/2021 at 5:15 PM, jabbr said:

I think the only thing that really matters is the endpoint. As long as the switch is compliant to the very strict end-to-end phase noise measurements, then the quality of the endpoint SFP might matter as its electrically connected to the endpoint. 

I guess all this could be measured using eye pattern testing. It may only be of academic interest. 
As my understanding is that EtherRegen necessary do not comply with some sort of a 10GB standard, I assume such a test is meaningless. But I have no idea. 
I think also it’s not an easy task to perform. 
There is a limit to when we should stop chasing best fiber optics in order to achieve better SQ.

As there is probably a limit to how good phase noise measurements you really need. 

31 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

However I do agree that this is the general rule, and the reason is that a 10GB switch getting a 10GB module, will of cause transmit 10GB to a 1GB device. Won’t

Ethernet switch ASICs do SERDES which means they accept packets over a 10Gbe link, buffer and then retransmit at 1Gbe if needed. Honestly if you’d stop speculating and simply connect things you will see that you can connect a server via a 10,40 or 100Gbe link into a switch and connect to a 1Gbe link to and endpoint and it works, as I’ve actually do.

The more interesting question is if it’s sufficient enough (SQ wise) to just use the anticipated best 10GB module in EtherRegen or opticalRendu, and use a reasonable priced 1421 in the 10GB switch. I think this approach is supported by @jabbr 

I guess all this could be measured using eye pattern testing. It may only be of academic interest. 
As my understanding is that EtherRegen necessary do not comply with some sort of a 10GB standard, I assume such a test is meaningless. But I have no idea. 

Is your understanding based on something published by @Superdad? Or are you speculating? Obviously the ER is a 1Gbe device so doesn’t claim to be 10Gbe. I have no knowledge that they have done the stressed receiver test.

I think also it’s not an easy task to perform. 

There are labs that have the testing equipment but I don’t know if the automated equipment which does these tests eg Tektronix or Keysight, is programmed to test at 1Gbe speeds.

There is a limit to when we should stop chasing best fiber optics in order to achieve better SQ.

As there is probably a limit to how good phase noise measurements you really need. 

The limit to the needs of “best fiberoptics” is precisely the point where every last bit of noise either phase, voltage, differential or common mode, has been scrubbed from the server. A good 1Gbe Ethernet is likely to do it, but pick whatever server noise level you think you can possibly hear, and I can pick a fiberoptic Ethernet link that will scrub that. It’s physics.