IGNORED

Optical Network Configurations

1 hour ago, MarkusBarkus said:

@jabbr: can you confirm or deny that you have ever called Ghost Busters to manage "metaphysical jitter" in a system? A simple yes or no, please. 😉

I just play “Spirits in the Material World” by the Police, and that settles them down. Pink Floyd on extended loop is best for burning in the fiber.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

10 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Do you agree that clock phase noise (threshold jitter) exist as described by John ?

Phase noise obviously exists. I know of no “John” who defined it.

I have provided a multitude of links that show anyone how to measure phase noise. I didn’t invent any of these methods. There are many threads which discuss the theory of phase noise. Are we talking about the phase noise in a specific product?

48 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Do you agree that clock phase noise (threshold jitter) exist

Sure does. And it exists in my 10GBe setup for the entire .225 seconds that it takes my system to buffer up a 75MB track.

It doesn't exist for the 6:51 that the track continues to play for.

I feel like we are reliving 'Verizon can't do Math' over and over and over again.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bought two of these CSS610 MikroTik switches. Unfortunately, the SFP+ ports do not work in my case so far ... only the 8 1GB copper ports work out of the box. Just started to read to find out what to do to get them to work. Any recommendations out there maybe? Tried to access the switch(es) via webbrowser but no success so far.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

On 1/30/2021 at 6:30 AM, fds said:

Bought two of these CSS610 MikroTik switches. Unfortunately, the SFP+ ports do not work in my case so far ... only the 8 1GB copper ports work out of the box. Just started to read to find out what to do to get them to work. Any recommendations out there maybe? Tried to access the switch(es) via webbrowser but no success so far.

What SFP(+) modules are you using? which at each end of the connection? Most likely a configuration issue.

Thanks for replying @jabbr So far, I have just tried two pairs of SFPs (i.e. no SFP+s yet) on both CSS610 switches with a single mode fiber in between: Finisar 1321 & Planet tech MGB-TLX. Still have to manage to access the switches to check for configurations.

8 minutes ago, fds said:

Thanks for replying @jabbr So far, I have just tried two pairs of SFPs (i.e. no SFP+s yet) on both CSS610 switches with a single mode fiber in between: Finisar 1321 & Planet tech MGB-TLX. Still have to manage to access the switches to check for configurations.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/SwOS/CSS610 tells you how to get in -- configure as SwOS rather than RouterOS ... if the SFP modules don't work then use SFP(+) modules between the two switches...

When doing config ... plug only one switch in at a time and then change the IP address so the two switches don't have the same IP address.

@jabbr  Do you power your network gear, such as switches, into the same outlets as your servers or have a difference set of outlets somewhere else for them? 

Like you, I have my endpoint and dac in a separate room from the server.  Both use their own isolation transformers.

The network gear uses a nearby AC socket to the server, but without going through the server's IT. 

Just checking I've got things configured well from an AC perspective.👌

8 hours ago, John769 said:

@jabbr  Do you power your network gear, such as switches, into the same outlets as your servers or have a difference set of outlets somewhere else for them? 

Like you, I have my endpoint and dac in a separate room from the server.  Both use their own isolation transformers.

The network gear uses a nearby AC socket to the server, but without going through the server's IT. 

Just checking I've got things configured well from an AC perspective.👌

Same AC outlet, difference voltage regulated battery back up (APC Back-UPS pro)

My Dell Precision W2245 workstation with NVidia 2080 Ti does double duty as HQPlayer server as well as photo/video editing workstation and is located in my 2nd floor office and networked to the NAS in the basement. Its pretty hard to saturate a 100Gbe network. When the price of NVME NAS comes down, that will go in the basement, and that can use the 100Gbe network.

On 1/30/2021 at 6:30 AM, fds said:

Did you get this sorted out?

You got me thinking on my switch configuration so starting playing around with it. My switch uses RouterOS by default but I changed it to SwOS.

By default, SwOS has Flow Control turned on.

640576606_MikrotikSwOS.jpg.ea215ea734924ea90e357ac5c262941f.jpg

On 2/2/2021 at 6:50 PM, ericuco said:

Did you get this sorted out?

Yes, today, I managed to use the SFP(+) ports on the two CSS610 MikroTik switches for the first time. Found their IP address via WinBox. Thereafter I managed access to each of the two switches and to update each with the new testing version 2.13rc12 obtained via

for CSS610-8G-2S+ https://box.mikrotik.com/f/0a98c88515a64596be3d/?dl=1

Finally, I had changed in SwOS from Auto Configuration to SFP 1G on the respective SFP(+) ports. Thereafter, lights became active on the respective ports and a first listening session became possible. Thanks again to you @jabbr and @ericuco ... Do you actually experience an uptick in SQ when going from 1G SFPs to 10G SFP+s?

55 minutes ago, fds said:

Do you actually experience an uptick in SQ when going from 1G SFPs to 10G SFP+s?

Funny you should ask. Last night I was checking the SoSW Errors tab using Winbox and the 10GB SFP+ was showing a huge number (>100,000) of TX Pause "errors" while music was playing so I swapped out the 10GB SFP+ (both ends - server & switch) for 1GB SFP's and now no errors across the board. Given that the 10GB SFP+ from my server (HQP) is the only thing feeding the 1GB SFP connected to my oR, perhaps that the mismatch in speed caused the TX pause ... in other words the 10GB SFP+ was feeding the 1GB SFP faster than it could manage.

Since I started working on this, I finally got a static IP address assigned to the switch so now I can reliably log-in using Winbox. Another strange thing is that the indicator lights on the switch are now blinking rather than being on steady with just the occasional blink. Since everything had seemed to "work", I just thought it was normal. Glad I decided to revisit all this and get what I consider a much better state (or least handle) so thanks again for the nudge.

Getting back to your question, I am not hearing any difference in SQ between the 10GB SFP+ and the 1GB SFP. If anything, the SQ may have improved a very slight bit.

21 hours ago, fds said:

Thanks again to you @jabbr and @ericuco ... Do you actually experience an uptick in SQ when going from 1G SFPs to 10G SFP+s?

I can't say that I do ... there are so many variables ... the trend is to use multirate SFP(+) modules, so I've been using dual 10G/1G SFP(+) modules i.e the Finisar ones. If the endpoint can do 10G it does. Between two switches I would use 10G just because.

9 hours ago, jabbr said:

... the trend is to use multirate SFP(+) modules, so I've been using dual 10G/1G SFP(+) modules i.e the Finisar ones.

Is it this one here: Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV - 1/10 Gbit/s Dual-Rate SM 1310nm SFP+ Transceiver? (Appearantly there seems to be an equivalent product offered by BlueOptics at a lower price and which seems to have shorter delivery times here in the EU: BlueOptics BO35H13610D SFP+ Transceiver 2/4/8GBASE-LW 10KM.)

On 2/5/2021 at 3:14 AM, fds said:

Is it this one here: Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV - 1/10 Gbit/s Dual-Rate SM 1310nm SFP+ Transceiver? (Appearantly there seems to be an equivalent product offered by BlueOptics at a lower price and which seems to have shorter delivery times here in the EU: BlueOptics BO35H13610D SFP+ Transceiver 2/4/8GBASE-LW 10KM.)

Yes the Finisar ... no idea about the other 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 9:22 PM, Johnseye said:

So the Finisar FTLX1475D3BCV over the FTLF1318P3BTL or 1321, 1324?

The first is a 10/1gbe SPF(+) module. The second is an SFP module.

Generally you can put an SFP module in an SFP(+) port, but you can't put an SFP(+) module in an SFP port. I use the first module with SFP(+) ports and the second with SFP ports. They talk to eachother at 1gbe.

5 hours ago, FIndingit said:

If somebody is using tp-link sfp modules, please throw them out the window now. The Finisars are remarkably better. It’s really worth trying several of the recommended ones if possible. 

How are the ciscos compared to the finisar? Have you had any experience comparing the two? Thanks

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

The first is a 10/1gbe SPF(+) module. The second is an SFP module.

Generally you can put an SFP module in an SFP(+) port, but you can't put an SFP(+) module in an SFP port. I use the first module with SFP(+) ports and the second with SFP ports. They talk to eachother at 1gbe.

Sorry for not being clear in my question.  Have you compared these from a SQ perspective and if so could you notice a difference?