IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, Mazza said:

@kilroy welcome to the Aurender experience.

You are correct, Aurender are about hardware, that’s where they make their money and the software is a support function whereas it’s the total opposite for Jriver. 

the control app is a considerable improvement on earlier iterations and filtering is there but limited. You can get to biographies and album info through the app. It uses Wikipedia but you can also branch off into web searches. Not the same I know. But I have the iPad on my lap when using the Aurender so if I want more info I just call up safari and go from there. 

hang in there, you will grow to love the Aurender convenience, logical architecture and sound. If you ever need it , the Aurender tech support is very good

And remember the hardware is far superior to any PC even one built with a focus for audio.  It also starts up quicker and is much more reliable.  My Aurenders have revolutionized how we listen to music in our home.  Nothing is perfect and they are not cheap but other than the hard drives these units are very reliable.

Noushy

8 hours ago, Noushy said:

And remember the hardware is far superior to any PC even one built with a focus for audio

I would remember that an Aurender is just another computer built with a focus for audio.  It is yet another implementation of a Linux based music server. Believe what you want, but there is nothing magical about a proprietary computer that was designed for/by Aurender to run their servers versus a computer that can also be used as a personal computer. 

"far superior" is of course relative, so can't be defined, but a computer is a computer is a computer so it is a superlative I'm not buying into.

"It also starts up quicker and is much more reliable."

Once you boot it up who cares about how quickly it starts? Most computers boot up very quickly anyway and are super reliable so I would say these are both non-issues.

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

2 minutes ago, merge03 said:

The statement that "a computer is a computer is a computer" is an over generalization that ignores tomes of hardware and software engineering history.

cherry picking one statement from my comments and ignoring the rest is an "over generalization" that distracts from and completely ignores the point of my post.

To clarify.. I'm not saying a Raspberry Pi is equivalent to an Aurender. I'm saying that a device tasked with delivering a reliable stream of digital data (a computer) is not dark science. The idea that it needs to cost $10-30,000 to be optimized is in my mind ... ridiculous. I put them in the same category as mega-buck USB cables.. I know that is blasphemy on a site formerly called Computer Audiophile.

I don't care to get into a debate about that because quite frankly my mind is made up, and those of you who have invested in these mega-buck servers are convinced otherwise. So that debate is pointless. . Please bear in mind I come to this not from just reading reviews and forums like this one.. I have tried a LOT of different configurations of computers, servers, cables, etc. so it is based on my experience... It is a slow day so I just wanted to jump in and express my opinion ... I appreciate you all putting up with me

30 minutes ago, bbosler said:

To clarify.. I'm not saying a Raspberry Pi is equivalent to an Aurender. I'm saying that a device tasked with delivering a reliable stream of digital data (a computer) is not dark science. The idea that it needs to cost $10-30,000 to be optimized is in my mind ... ridiculous. I put them in the same category as mega-buck USB cables.. I know that is blasphemy on a site formerly called Computer Audiophile.

I don't care to get into a debate about that because quite frankly my mind is made up, and those of you who have invested in these mega-buck servers are convinced otherwise. So that debate is pointless. . It is a slow day so I just wanted to jump in and express my opinion ... I appreciate you all putting up with me

You are of course entitled to your own opinion. But if you believe that 'delivering a reliable stream of digital data' is really all that matters I do think you are completely missing the point. I have owned an X100L, N10 and now a W20. I guess all are able to deliver that 'reliable stream of digital data'. Yet, in the right system there is no comparison between an X100L or a W20. None whatsoever actually.

A few years ago I built my own server that was in use until a couple weeks ago. Linear power supplies for everything feeding the audio card, hard drives, motherboard and chip; "audiophile" USB card; TCXO and OCXO clocks installed in the motherboard, audio card and hard drives; "audiophile" SATA cables; special OCC wiring in some places; separate hard drives/SSDs for the OS and music; all this hardware from very well known sources; Windows Server running JRiver, Process Lasso, Audiophile Optimizer and Fidelizer. About $5-6k US for the parts, my own free labor.

The Aurender sounds better. It's not even close.

23 minutes ago, kilroy said:

The Aurender sounds better. It's not even close.

and I believe you. Of course, that doesn't prove anything other than in your current system one computer sounds better than the other, not that an Aurender computer categorically sounds better than other "computers."

my experience is completely different, that's why the debate is pointless. So before Chris jumps in and tells me to quit ... I will do so on my own

WTDnnwE.gif

1 minute ago, bbosler said:

and I believe you. Of course, that doesn't prove anything other than in your current system one computer sounds better than the other, not that an Aurender categorically sounds better than other "computers."

my experience is completely different, that's why the debate is pointless. So before Chris jumps in and tells me to quit ... I will do so on my own

WTDnnwE.gif

Actually no, there's more to the story but I won't bother. You do seem like you're poking for an argument so yeah good time to go.

I agree the level of background noise and how quiet and detailed can only be achieved with isolated dedicated circuits and very clean power supplies.  Yes you could build an aurender level machine for less but it would be clunky and without the interface and ease of use.  Is it overpriced, probably, is it well made and convenient and something you want in your rack with all unnecessary circuits removed for better audio performance absolutely.

1 hour ago, bbosler said:

The idea that it needs to cost $10-30,000 to be optimized is in my mind ... ridiculous

Don't forget that a company like Aurender pays its employees salaries and health care, has a full time support staff, has duplicate spare parts for all its units just incase they fail, and sells its products through distributors and dealers, and sells at a tiny scale compared to something like a Raspberry Pi.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Don't forget that a company like Aurender pays its employees salaries and health care, has a full time support staff, has duplicate spare parts for all its units just incase they fail, and sells its products through distributors and dealers, and sells at a tiny scale compared to something like a Raspberry Pi

That's not germane. The question is not "do they need to charge that much to make a profit." I agree they probably do. 

The question is "do I need to pay that much to get the same or better result." Just like the points about value raised in the Extreme discussion,,,  this is obviously a question we will never resolve here.

5 hours ago, bbosler said:

That's not germane. The question is not "do they need to charge that much to make a profit." I agree they probably do. 

The question is "do I need to pay that much to get the same or better result." Just like the points about value raised in the Extreme discussion,,,  this is obviously a question we will never resolve here.

Yeah here we go again. Seriously man get over it.

2 hours ago, kilroy said:

Yeah here we go again. Seriously man get over it.

This was not "again." It was a considered, reasonable response to a new point raised by Chris. His point was not about the value of these computers which I believe we all agreed is pointless to discuss, it was a justification for why they cost so much. Cost and value are 2 very different things so my response was therefore not "again."

I hesitated to respond because I don't want this to turn into a pissing contest, but since you have taken it personal by telling me for the second time to go away, I did. When Chris appoints you forum police officer I will pay attention to your directives. In the meantime... IMHO your snarky comments have no place here so will no longer be dignified with a response. 

I'm with you Noushy on that and appreciate yours and others help. What I don't appreciate is people jumping in for an argument or debate when it's not really called for and I sometimes let that be known, for better or worse. Fancy high brow language doesn't hide their intent. I used to come to other parts of the forums here a lot but got fed up with people like that and basically left CA.  Now first time back in a while and looks like that's still going on.

BTW pulled the trigger on a Shunyata Alpha USB and hope to have it soon. Also got an Audio Sensibilities silver cable and it's very good. Look forward to hearing more about your journey towards a W20.

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Perhaps you missed the event that caused 99% of the "trouble makers" to leave. I think most people would say the atmosphere around here is 100% better since February. 

Hey Chris thanks for pointing that out. No, missed it because like I said I haven't been around much. I'd love to know who the perps were that left, I'm sure many were on my list as well. Maybe I'll stick around a bit more now. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, kilroy said:

Hey Chris thanks for pointing that out. No, missed it because like I said I haven't been around much. I'd love to know who the perps were that left, I'm sure many were on my list as well. Maybe I'll stick around a bit more now. Thanks!

Happy to have you here and always open to your feedback. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

17 hours ago, kilroy said:

BTW pulled the trigger on a Shunyata Alpha USB and hope to have it soon. Also got an Audio Sensibilities silver cable and it's very good. Look forward to hearing more about your journey towards a W20.

Congrats on pulling the trigger for the Shunyata alpha.

Do keep us posted on your experience and how it compares with the AS. :)

Jon

Innuos Zen Mk 3, Shunyata alpha usb cable, Esoteric N-05 dac/network player, MBL N11 preamp, Bryston 28B SST2 monoblocks, Vienna Acoustics The Music speakers, Kimber Select 1126/1130 ic's, Kimber Select 6063 sc, Shunyata Triton, Shunyata/PS Audio pc's, Shunyata Dark Field Suspension System, Harmonix by Combak footers, Shun Mook Pendulum stand

Industry Affiliation : None

This is my first post ever on Audiophile Style/Computer Audiophile; actually, this is my first post on any well known audio community website or forum with the exception of the now-defunct Linn forums which used to be hosted by Linn years ago.

I mention this because I want the record to show that until today, I do not spend my time commenting on audio related forums, nor have I ever really wished to spend time doing so. 

I served in the role of Technical Support Manager for Aurender America from May 2016 until December 2017. If anyone doubts this, they can ask Chris himself as I’ve had dinner with Chris and the Aurender team, and have met him numerous times both prior to working for Aurender and during my tenure there. One is also welcome to search Stereophile for my name in an associated review of the A10, and check past Axpona and RMAF video footage of me being interviewed on behalf of Aurender during those respective events. On top of that, I’m certain I have communicated with many of the members of this forum about their Aurender music server.

My initial reason for commenting is to state - Chris, before you make broad statements with the intent to justify why a company expects the prices they command for their products, perhaps you should consider whether those statements are factual or not.

In other words, if you decide to shill for a brand, be aware that there can be repercussions for bending the truth to serve your advertiser’s interests.

Your comment -

Don't forget that a company like Aurender pays its employees salaries and health care, has a full time support staff, has duplicate spare parts for all its units just incase they fail, and sells its products through distributors and dealers, and sells at a tiny scale compared to something like a Raspberry Pi.

I know that you don’t know much about any of this, in actual fact, and are just parroting it in the interest of an advertiser from whom you extract revenue.

A journalistic approach and proper evaluation and investigation into this brand and company would have perhaps led you to a much different conclusion. 

I don't think you know at all what you are talking about, so it's probably a better idea for you not to say anything about it.

6 hours ago, Jesse Locken said:

I know that you don’t know much about any of this, in actual fact, and are just parroting it in the interest of an advertiser from whom you extract revenue.

A journalistic approach and proper evaluation and investigation into this brand and company would have perhaps led you to a much different conclusion. 

I don't think you know at all what you are talking about, so it's probably a better idea for you not to say anything about it.

Hi Jesse, it’s nice to see you here, but it’s unfortunate you’ve chosen take this slanderous and accusatory route. The only thing I’m uncertain of in my post is health insurance and that’s why I stated “a company like Aurender” rather than stating it as fact. It’s a generalization. 

All other things I mentioned are actually true. At some point parts do run out so I suppose you could get me on that one but that’s not the spirit of my comment. 

- Aurender pays its employees salaries

- has a full time support staff,

- has duplicate spare parts for all its units just incase they fail, and

- sells its products through distributors and dealers, and

- sells at a tiny scale