IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

Hi, is anyone experienced with connecting an aurender N100 by USB to a McIntosh MA7900 amplifier? On various forums is written that the USB input of the amplifier not always very reliable is. Greetings, Emile

source Aurender N100c dac Lampizator Amber 3 Balanced amp McIntosh MA7900 loudspeakers Sonus Faber Nova II loudspeaker cable NBS Monitor III interlink NBS Monitor IV XLR powercords NBS Monitor IV, NBS Active III usb cable Audioquest Carbon

9 minutes ago, Emile said:

Hi, is anyone experienced with connecting an aurender N100 by USB to a McIntosh MA7900 amplifier? On various forums is written that the USB input of the amplifier not always very reliable is. Greetings, Emile

McIntosh does not explicitly support USB input from a Linux source. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, but occasionally there can be an issue where the DAC drastically attenuates its output gain when it detects connection from a Linux source. That is why Aurender added the option to "Reset DAC Volume" in a recent software update (Settings>Advanced). In most cases, this solves the low output issue that happens from time to time with certain DACs like that McIntosh module. Of course, (as noted in the pop-up warning in the app) you have to be careful to make sure the overall system volume is low when you use this feature, as it can cause a dramatic increase in volume output from the DAC!

39 minutes ago, AriMargolis said:

McIntosh does not explicitly support USB input from a Linux source. That doesn't mean it doesn't work, but occasionally there can be an issue where the DAC drastically attenuates its output gain when it detects connection from a Linux source. That is why Aurender added the option to "Reset DAC Volume" in a recent software update (Settings>Advanced). In most cases, this solves the low output issue that happens from time to time with certain DACs like that McIntosh module. Of course, (as noted in the pop-up warning in the app) you have to be careful to make sure the overall system volume is low when you use this feature, as it can cause a dramatic increase in volume output from the DAC!

Hello Ari, 

Thank you for the quick reply! I hope somebody from this forum can confirm that the USB input from the MA7900 will work with the Aurender N100. What I have understood is that the "later" models integrated amps with the DAC modules (MA8900) should have less problems using the USB input..?

Greetings, Emile

source Aurender N100c dac Lampizator Amber 3 Balanced amp McIntosh MA7900 loudspeakers Sonus Faber Nova II loudspeaker cable NBS Monitor III interlink NBS Monitor IV XLR powercords NBS Monitor IV, NBS Active III usb cable Audioquest Carbon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2020 at 9:52 PM, NordicBob said:

DROP OUT PROBLEM

I’ve owned an Aurender N10 for a few years and never had any problems with it until recently over the past few weeks where the music will occasionally drop out for 1-2 seconds.  I use it with 2 DACs utilizing USB, XLR, coax, and BNC connections. It happens with both DACs and all outputs.  I’m do not use it with Qobuz or Tidal, but with mainly my 16/44 ripped CDs and a few HiRez recordings. 

During a typical listening session of several 3-4 hours, it will occur up to 4 times, but sometimes not at all.  I’ve tried rebooting it and also clear the cache, but neither have helped.  I’ve not made any changes to the settings.  

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the cause?  My fear is that the hard drive might be starting  to fail?   

Fm540i

You quoted my initial post on this topic, but you didn’t include anything in the body of your reply. 

Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DirectStream DACs, PS Audio DMP transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20mono blocks, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2/Typhon QR power distributor, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo  cables and power cords. DH Labs digital XLR, BNC, USB, optical cables 

On 8/6/2020 at 10:46 AM, Fm540i said:

Fm540i,

It appears that you had something to say on this topic, but your reply didn’t come through?  Even though I am the OP and your reply copied my initial post, there is nothing in the body of your post. If you had something to add to this thread, your comments would be appreciated.  If not, I would appreciate you deleting you blank comment. Thank you and appreciated.  

Aurender N10 music server, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DirectStream DACs, PS Audio DMP transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20mono blocks, Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers, Shunyata Denali 6000S v2/Typhon QR power distributor, Shunyata Research Sigma & Synergistic Research Galileo  cables and power cords. DH Labs digital XLR, BNC, USB, optical cables 

My Aurender N10 has suddenly stopped playing back files from both disc drives & streaming service content.  The playback indicator shows no movement after files are added via the conductor app. The unit is connected to a dCS Bartok.

Recently I had one drive and it’s content not appearing on the conductor app. Fixed by rebooting and running a new scan. Also have had intermittent issues with new files not being able to add to drives via a USB Stick with error message “unable to add task”.

I have previously reached out to Aurender support. I would welcome any suggestions. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 3:19 AM, NordicBob said:

Fm540i

You quoted my initial post on this topic, but you didn’t include anything in the body of your reply. 

I also experienced the same intermittent drop out a few times. When I replayed the song, no further drop out. It seems no more after the system auto repair the hard disk.

Aurender N10, Oppo 103 w Vanity HD card, Dutch&Dutch 8c, Shunyata Denali v2, MiniDSP SHD Studio, Mutec MC3+USB

13 hours ago, mav52 said:

From my Dealer:

N20

The new model N20 is an upgraded-in-every-way N10, much like how the W20SE evolved from the original W20. All new circuit topologies inside and a fresh new cosmetic exterior make this a product sure to be a big success.
N20 Highlights and Features:
The brand new linear power supply for N20 utilizes 2 transformers, 4 cores, large audio-grade capacitors, and isolated grounding! It is extremely sophisticated and dead quiet! A power supply this good contributes immediately audible improvements to any audio component.
Grounding for the SPDIF outputs is now isolated by a separate transformer for an even lower noise floor on AES/EBU, Coax RCA & BNC, and Toslink outputs compared to N10.
All new circuit boards populated with higher precision OCXO clock and oscillator exhibiting 4 to 10 times more stability (frequency stability vs. load) than the N10. Musicality, timing, pace and rhythm are greatly enhanced.
Like A30, ACS10 and ACS100, the N20 features a built-in super capacitor-based uninterruptible power supply. This prevents disc and operating system corruption in the event of an abrupt power outage by safely shutting down the system.
A word clock input facilitates syncing N20 with an external word clock.
N20 features a full color 8.8” 1980 x 480 wide screen as found on A30. The chassis size is just slightly taller than the N10 giving it a more substantial appearance.
The N20 is supplied without hard drives installed. As with N100SC and ACS100, hard drives are the customer’s choice. Each of the two rear panel mounting sleds accommodates a 1, 2,4 or 8TB 2.5 inch SSD or up to 5TB 15mm height 2.5inch HDDs. Since users have different storage requirements, we feel this is the best way to satisfy everyone.
Next-generation USB Audio Class 2.0 Module designed with an emphasis on lowering jitter and lowest possible latency.
Like the W20SE and ACS10, the N20 uses a double isolated LAN port for filter out router induced noise.
Double the DRAM (8GB) of the N10 providing ample system resource for support of native DSD 512 playback.
Improved and higher capacity SSD for caching. Upgraded to 500GB M2 NVME. N10 uses a 2.5” 240GB SATA.
Available in silver or black finish.

Suggested Retail Price: $12,000.

e5aea5187dd61892c6aa8f83217892a6.webp 237.4 kB · 23 downloads 0af565c8a8a728244b6bbf6418360ec2.webp 406.32 kB · 13 downloads dc9c6e8a4538d43e7475bdde306f421d.webp 831.75 kB · 11 downloads

Nice.👍
Would be very interested in the A20. Maybe the same chassis/display screen as the A30???🤞

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

I recently had my laptop stolen, so replaced it with a new Macbook Pro, running Catalina.  My music files are on a a WD MyCloud EX2 NAS.  My N100 is playing music files from the NAS, I can access the NAS via finder on my Mac, etc.

Downloaded the new AMM onto the laptop; AMM cannot mount/access my NAS (get the message that it is not accessible/reliable).  Frustrating as I have added new music and cannot get AMM to run.

Tried to access the new music through the folders option in Conductor, but even after waiting quite some time, music folders won't show up going that route (over 6TB of music on the NAS, so maybe going that route would take a long time for the files to show up).

I have emailed customer support, but welcome any thoughts/suggestions.  My setup was working fine on the laptop that was stolen (also a MacBook Pro, but running High Sierra as the OS).

• 3 weeks later...

Hello and thank you in advance for your observations and advice. I just received today my N100SC, and a couple of questions occur to me as I’m setting it up.

First, with the solid-state storage drive buffer, will I hear effects of various upstream components, eg, router, Ethernet switch and cabling. Making the transition as I am from a computer-based server/streamer, my experience suggests that the entire network affects the system sonics. Intuitively, though, I might predict these elements will have no effect on the Aurender’s performance, since it is reading from the internal drive during playback. But, audio system performance often is counterintuitive.

My second question also relates to what I might expect from a component that writes music files to an internal drive before playback. I currently have an NAS set up in my listening room and plan to access it using the Aurender. Would there be an advantage to installing a drive in the N100CS?

Finally, if I understand the way the Aurender operates, I should be able to play back from the internal hard drive while completely disconnected from the network. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Glad to see their products continued to be well supported.  I own 4 currently and just placed my preorder for the N20.  Excited since I have been wanting the updated display and the word clock function.  My only complaint is the huge jump in price and the fact that with it comes no storage devices internally compared to the N10.  Curious if anyone else pulled the trigger or decided buying a used W20 was better or even a W20SE?

6 hours ago, Noushy said:

Glad to see their products continued to be well supported.  I own 4 currently and just placed my preorder for the N20.  Excited since I have been wanting the updated display and the word clock function.  My only complaint is the huge jump in price and the fact that with it comes no storage devices internally compared to the N10.  Curious if anyone else pulled the trigger or decided buying a used W20 was better or even a W20SE?

I have the exact same thoughts. I bought a used W20 a few years ago and replacing the N10 at the time it was a HUGE step-up. Really. I would be really surprised if the N20 would better it.. But I haven't been able to compare directly, obviously. Based on my own experience with the (used) W20, I think my money would go that way, especially now the W20SE has hit the market.

19 hours ago, scottman said:

Hello and thank you in advance for your observations and advice. I just received today my N100SC, and a couple of questions occur to me as I’m setting it up.

First, with the solid-state storage drive buffer, will I hear effects of various upstream components, eg, router, Ethernet switch and cabling. Making the transition as I am from a computer-based server/streamer, my experience suggests that the entire network affects the system sonics. Intuitively, though, I might predict these elements will have no effect on the Aurender’s performance, since it is reading from the internal drive during playback. But, audio system performance often is counterintuitive.

My second question also relates to what I might expect from a component that writes music files to an internal drive before playback. I currently have an NAS set up in my listening room and plan to access it using the Aurender. Would there be an advantage to installing a drive in the N100CS?

Finally, if I understand the way the Aurender operates, I should be able to play back from the internal hard drive while completely disconnected from the network. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Yes, switch and Ethernet cable quality certainly matter (based on my experience with W20).

Yes, internal harddisk is likely to sound better due to shorter signal path.

You will need network access to be able to control your aurender. Other than that: yes, possible. But not really convenient. 😉

1 hour ago, Vincent1234 said:

Yes, switch and Ethernet cable quality certainly matter (based on my experience with W20).

I had the opposite experience with Ethernet cable - tried audioquest vodka and found no improvement whatsoever over cat6a. 

But I don’t stream from NAS, I only use the W20’s HDD so maybe that’s one reason  The Ethernet is only used for control

YMMV of course! 

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

I found obviously with streaming the network cable does infact make a difference.  Tried Nordost H2 then AQ vodka definitely heard a difference then moved up to AQ Diamond that was even more.  

Also another thing to try is a better quality switch like SoTm it also made a nice improvement 

2 Channel: Bricasti M20, 21 & M28 SE /Aurender N30SA and MC10 Master clock Treatments: Acoustical panels(F, S & R walls) Misc.: SR Master Fuses

Speakers: Martin Logan CLX ART (Dark Cherry) w/30# weights / 2-ML 212's 

Grounding: QKore 1&6 / Networking: SOtM switch, clock and Pwr Supply / AQ Diamond /SR Router Power: Furutech GTX-DNCF / Oyaide inwall  wire

Nordost: 2-QB8 III, QV2's, QK1's, QSine, QWave, QX4, TC Kones, Sort Fut & LIft / Full OG Loom / 3-QSource & 12-QPoints, QNet, V2 Network

Misc.: iPad 6 /Custom Rack  Media Rm: ML: 13A's, 2-Descent i's, 6- Vanquish, Focus / 3-Parasound A23 / Legacy iV-3 Ultra / 77" LG 4k OLED / Anthem AVM90 / Pioneer Elite DVD Nordost: Odin/T2/H2, BC Kones, H2 Network, V2 HDMI