IGNORED

God and the Audiophiles

joelha

No. To quote an old saying, You "run with the hounds" (grin)

Never heard that one before, but according to the Interweb, the expression is "run with the hare and hunt with the hounds". It means to support both sides of a dispute which doesn't seem to apply to this situation.

My position is simply that David said Bill made racist comments but is unable to provide any evidence to support this statement. I feel Bill is owned an apology but, instead of doing this, David continues to try to change the subject, as do you.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

If your repeated claim that I have made racists comments is true, why is it you cannot seem to produce the evidence, for all your blustering?

Let me up the ante a bit here:

If you can produce the evidence, I will personally apologize to everyone whom you deem I have grossly offended via deployment of sarcastic remarks, and then I will close my account here at CA. You will be rid of me forever. All you have to do is produce evidence for your libelous claim.

Put up or shut up.

Instead of simply apologizing for this, he continues to try to change the subject, as do you.

David has nothing to apologise for. There WERE derogatory statements made about Australians, that were most likely edited out. IIRC, the remark was made when David supported me in a reply.

Yes, I changed the subject to his numerous libellous comments about the state of my mental health that are well documented.

You don't run with the hare, you run with the hounds for the kill. (or at least try to)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I explained my position. I understand if that is not acceptable to you but time to talk about other things. Is that changing the topic ? yes.

I think your "position" can be summarized by this quote from Steve Martin:

"An apology? Bah! Disgusting! Cowardly! Beneath the dignity of any gentleman, however wrong he might be."

Steve Martin

From post 99. So this isn't libellous or sarcastic?

"I don't ridicule your senile dementia."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/all-ghostly-sounds-are-lost-when-you-compress-mp3-23543/index4.html

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

There WERE derogatory statements made about Australians, that were most likely edited out.

If you know anything about the software that Chris uses on this forum, you know that what you type into the Quick Reply box appears when the system auto saves... BEFORE you press the Post Quick Reply button. This is why people who are quick on the draw often post responses containing quotes that differ from what is actually posted. It is quite possible that what you think you saw was something Bill wrote and then deleted before he pressed the Reply button. It doesn't mean he edited it out, it just means he had second thoughts before posting.

From post 99. So this isn't libellous or sarcastic?

"I don't ridicule your senile dementia."

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/all-ghostly-sounds-are-lost-when-you-compress-mp3-23543/index4.html

Yes, but it isn't racist. Unless you consider those in their golden years to be a race...

can anybody recommend a decent audiophile forum for folks that would like to learn about audio? Head-Fi looks decent, but I'm not into the headphone thing. Audiogon is decent, but not much activity.

Suggestions?

Harbeth user forums cover more than Harbeth speakers. Look around a bit.

Harbeth: made in the UK since 1977 - the world's most natural sounding loudspeakers

It is not a subjective listening impression oriented forum. Nor will they put up with foolishness. If you want to learn about audio it can be pretty good.

The Sound Science section of head fi can be good also, and is less headphone-centric than the rest of head-fi. Again if you want to learn about audio.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

can anybody recommend a decent audiophile forum for folks that would like to learn about audio? Head-Fi looks decent, but I'm not into the headphone thing. Audiogon is decent, but not much activity.

Suggestions?

JR4321,

Hey buddy I'm there with you and don't give up yet. I've sent some PMs to people and I'm hoping it will do some good. I'm just an average guy trying to look for audio information and interact with what I consider intelligent people. But fuck, and Chris you can ban me for the f-word but I don't give a fuck come on. This is crazy......We wonder why the real world looks at people that spend a significant amount of time devoted to audio and think their crazy? My wife has a masters in family therapy and she says this is classic dysfunctional family behavior. I have shown her the threads on the site. And before I'm pummeled on the family comment how much time do some of us actually spend here......its probably quite a bit....

There have been a number of new members that have expressed their disappointment in how this forum interacts. And I don't blame them. I have had to deal with this behavior in my corporate life but probably many have not.

I LOVE the general forum. I don't spend a lot of time on the other forums, because I have my system sorted to my content and love it. I like it here because people are intelligent and have conversations that transends audio. And that's really really COOL.

So lets act like we are better than the masses and fucking chill.

Chris I am apologizing for my language. Throw me out if you see fit, but you have a real problem in this forum...

David

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

Suggestions?

You get back from a place like this what you put into it. Why don't you try searching for some of the subjects you are interested in instead of reading a non-audio oriented topic?

Just hit the search button at the top, and a wealth of information is at your fingertips. You can also start a topic of your own with any specific questions.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Suggestions?

Yes. I'm in the same boat as you.... maybe a half step ahead. I looked at several forums for a while, kind of shopping around. I just recently landed on CA because I like the mix of people and opinions. Sometimes it gets heated. You should know that silly off-the-rails threads occur on every forum and no forum requires you to read them. You can just click to another thread. You can also be on as many forums as you like.

I can't recommend CA to you unless you have similar interests, ideas to mine. It is a personal preference. Check out as many as you want. This one is pretty good for me.

When I first became a member of this forum more than 5 years ago, Religion and Politics were generally considered Taboo subjects. Perhaps they should be again ?

Yes, we do need moderators.

You get back from a place like this what you put into it. Why don't you try searching for some of the subjects you are interested in instead of reading a non-audio oriented topic?

Just hit the search button at the top, and a wealth of information is at your fingertips. You can also start a topic of your own with any specific questions.

-Paul

Paul, so does existing behavior continue? I would think Chris would like to provide a REASONBLE forum for discourse on audio and and other pertinent issues that invites new users into the circle. Are we doing well in providing that safe landing environment for new individuals? I do realize that I am not in the inner circle but there is a problem here and stating what we make of it is not necessarily helpful to new CA users.....

Edit: Paul sorry for my outburst. But do we really feel that what has happened in some of these threads is good\normal interactions? Is this site no better than the general news websites that degenerate into shouting matches. SandyK stated in the past there were no religion and politics allowed which anybody who attends a family Thanksgiving dinner knows is probably a good thing. All due respects to our Aussie members who don't celebrate the US Thanksgiving Holiday.

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.

My self-serving definition:

A scientist uses available knowledge, reason and logic to seek the truth (about something they find interesting=bonus)

A pseudoscientist uses "science" to further a different, personal agenda. "Science" means the appearance of valid scientific methods pruned to suit the goal.

Great post, I agree. Thanks, I will be saving your definition on my computer!

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

Well, our resident Texan, Paul, has spoken: "Love it, or Leave it !"

so does existing behavior continue? I would think Chris would like to provide a REASONBLE forum for discourse on audio and and other pertinent issues that invites new users into the circle. Are we doing well in providing that safe landing environment for new individuals? I do realize that I am not in the inner circle but there is a problem here and stating what we make of it is not necessarily helpful to new CA users.... do we really feel that what has happened in some of these threads is good\normal interactions? Is this site no better than the general news websites that degenerate into shouting matches.

Chris is the One and Only moderator on this forum. My feeling is that he is a geek (a good one !) and doesn't really like or understand the realm of human relations, nor is he good at it, nor will he delegate it to someone(s) who is.

The shit-pile that this thread has turned into is just another result of that lack of good forum management practices :((

Went away for a week to escape the navel gazing - came back to this. I'm sorry, but several here have problems that no amount of counselling can address. This is supposed to be a hobby around people who enjoy listening to music - I'm increasingly less sure that the 'hairshirt audiophile' wants anything to do with that.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

I'm just an average guy trying to look for audio information and interact with what I consider intelligent people. But fuck, and Chris you can ban me for the f-word but I don't give a fuck come on. This is crazy...There have been a number of new members that have expressed their disappointment in how this forum interacts. And I don't blame them...I LOVE the general forum. I like it here because people are intelligent and have conversations that transcends audio. And that's really really COOL. So lets act like we are better than the masses and fucking chill. Chris I am apologizing for my language. Throw me out if you see fit, but you have a real problem in this forum...David

David, thanks for this post.