IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series Review

I just read Robert Harleys review in TAS and its a similar rave to this one, the best DAC ever, by a long shot. What is interesting is apparently Berkeley are using a traditional DAC chip (with all functions except for sigma delta conversion turned off) and are using opamps for the analog output stage. So to extract such high level performance it must be the implementation or other factors like the digital filtering.

I really like how this DAC is a killer for 16/44, rather than a DAC that only sounds good for DSD files with 16/44 an afterthought.

I just read Robert Harleys review in TAS and its a similar rave to this one, the best DAC ever, by a long shot. What is interesting is apparently Berkeley are using a traditional DAC chip (with all functions except for sigma delta conversion turned off) and are using opamps for the analog output stage. So to extract such high level performance it must be the implementation or other factors like the digital filtering.

I really like how this DAC is a killer for 16/44, rather than a DAC that only sounds good for DSD files with 16/44 an afterthought.

I just finished reading it as well. There is an informative interview with 'Berkeley's' Michael Ritter after the review. I encourage everyone to have a look at that and the review.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris,

How about sharing some technical details, e.g. clocks, chips, filter types, lpsu, emi shielding methods, implementation method, etc.

Did you still stick the Berkeley USB-SPDIF converter in between, or is that no longer the best way into the RS?

Thanks!

Chris, joelha, I was wondering if you tested out the digital volume function of the RS. The DAC is a bit pricey as an upgrade but if I were to sell my current DAC & preamp...

ecwl,

I'm overseas right now and have not had a chance to try the DAC as a preamp yet.

But I'm anxious to give it a shot.

So the report you got from me was using the Berkeley only as a DAC.

Joel

One way to think about your and Rob Harley's reviews is that this is great news for the entire music industry, because it implies that there is a way to get superlative sound out of a 16/44 recording. Berkeley Audio may have been the first (I'll leave the NOS Dac comments alone for the moment) to do it and it may be expensive, but copycats and trickle-down should mean that more affordable versions of this sound are not that far away. That should be good news for all of us.

I'm sure it will also restart the whole PCM vs. DSD debate because that has ramifications on the A/D as well as the D/A side and your review implies that our current A/D to 16/44 process is "good enough" for the best you have ever heard.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

this is great news for the entire music industry, because it implies that there is a way to get superlative sound out of a 16/44 recording. Berkeley Audio may have been the first (I'll leave the NOS Dac comments alone for the moment) to do it and it may be expensive, but copycats and trickle-down should mean that more affordable versions of this sound are not that far away. That should be good news for all of us.

we should be careful about soundbites...

I heard sound from other DAC's that I would call superlative sound from redbook.

dCS is one nice example.

They also did it...imho.

Best Chord DACS are close. TAD is close in it's how.

Off course, having said this, I am very interested in listening to this new DAC to see if Chris conclusion would be also mine...

Chris,

Thanks for this review and for your contribution to "the cause". After reading your Berkeley RS review I have two questions. First, you recently raved about the EMM Labs dac2x which is vastly different (design and sonics) than any Berkeley product. A comparison would be revealing. Second, many who decided to keep their preamp (including me) while using the Alpha dac are surely wondering whether the RS volume control improves on Berkeley's older units. Thanks.

David C. Martin[br]Mojo Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Berkeley USB, Berkeley Reference dac, Dan D'Agostino Integrated, Rockport Avior.

Chris,

Thanks for this review and for your contribution to "the cause". After reading your Berkeley RS review I have two questions. First, you recently raved about the EMM Labs dac2x which is vastly different (design and sonics) than any Berkeley product. A comparison would be revealing. Second, many who decided to keep their preamp (including me) while using the Alpha dac are surely wondering whether the RS volume control improves on Berkeley's older units. Thanks.

I really like the EMM DAC2X (Reviewed July 2012) but it isn't in the same league as the Alpha DAC RS. Sonically the RS is better all around. The 2X has a bolder sound and a bit thicker sound to it.

The RS must be taken as a whole rather than picking certain parts out such as volume control. I used its volume control exclusively, and have heard it through a very good preamp in the recent past. Based on my experience the RS is better without a preamp.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I'm really surprised there is no USB input on such an expensive DAC. What do they imagine people are using for a source? A CD player?

'Berkeley' believes adding a USB input compromises the sound quality so it was left out of the Reference Series product. These guys have been leading the way with computer based playback for years. I don't suspect many people use CD players with 'Berkeley' DACs. Servers like the Aurender offer AES and S/PDIF outputs and the Alpha USB can be used to connect any computer to the Alpha DAC RS.

I suspect no one has compared directly this dac to the Vivaldi stack because most think the Berkley is better. I look forward to hearing it and also seeing what dcs does in response.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I suspect no one has compared directly this dac to the Vivaldi stack because most think the Berkley is better. I look forward to hearing it and also seeing what dcs does in response.

I also was going to comment on no USB but dont need to be redundant I guess.Thanks for the review,splendid as usual,cheers,Bob

usblues

Based upon review alone, would consider trading in my ARC Pre and Meitner MA1 and my left kidney, towards a Berkley RS purchase... But then I would also need either the Alpha USB or a dedicated server with AES or SPIDF... frustrating (can't give up both kidneys, that's pushing the hobby slightly too far....ever so slightly)

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Based upon review alone, would consider trading in my ARC Pre and Meitner MA1 and my left kidney, towards a Berkley RS purchase... But then I would also need either the Alpha USB or a dedicated server with AES or SPIDF... frustrating (can't give up both kidneys, that's pushing the hobby slightly too far....ever so slightly)

Ha! I love it.

'Berkeley' believes adding a USB input compromises the sound quality so it was left out of the Reference Series product. These guys have been leading the way with computer based playback for years. I don't suspect many people use CD players with 'Berkeley' DACs. Servers like the Aurender offer AES and S/PDIF outputs and the Alpha USB can be used to connect any computer to the Alpha DAC RS.

This is something I was very happy to read, although I might be in the minority. The Berkeley USB-SPDIF converter is still an amazing way to make USB bearable.

Perhaps they will put their magic into a LAN input device next...

I won't argue with your opinion, but I would like to know what specifically in my review is BS.

Chris, everybody's a critic and my comment is more towards the style rather than content of the review. I have a skeptic's streak in me and when I see such an overtly effusive and fawning review for a piece of equipment I immediately have red flags go up in my head. To be in such rapture with the RS makes the skeptic in me question the objectivity of the review, almost makes me wonder if you were blinded by the light! I wanted to run to the refrigerator for a pickle to take the saccharine taste out of my mouth! And again, I believe you have painted yourself into a corner when you have to review the next "Game Changer."

Jim

Chris, everybody's a critic and my comment is more towards the style rather than content of the review. I have a skeptic's streak in me and when I see such an overtly effusive and fawning review for a piece of equipment I immediately have red flags go up in my head. To be in such rapture with the RS makes the skeptic in me question the objectivity of the review, almost makes me wonder if you were blinded by the light! I wanted to run to the refrigerator for a pickle to take the saccharine taste out of my mouth! And again, I believe you have painted yourself into a corner when you have to review the next "Game Changer."

Thanks for the reply James. Fortunately I've said nothing about the future accept my comment about using this DAC for the "foreseeable future." I don't see how my statements reflecting the current situation have anything to do with painting myself into a corner with respect to a future review.

What was the source? Was it computer files that were then usb converted?

I recall seeing somewhere on this site or on TAS about an allegedly super server that was spdif only with the digital signal coming directly off the motherboard. I can't recall the name, but it was fairly recent. I wonder how that would sound with this spdif favoring dac.

Just when I had myself convinced that dsd was where it's at and the future :)

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.