IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series Review

Yes I have been using the newest firmware in the DAC 2X for a while.

And what's your opinion?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Hi Awsmone - Thanks for the comments and questions. Maybe I'll get to learn something here (I love that!).

Benjamin Britten' s " Passacaglia" that I am referring to is the Reference Recordings version (HR-120) (Michael Stern / Kansas City Symphony). Here is a link Reference Recordings - HRx Details

I am far from an expert in identifying each instrument although I hear the distinctly different sounds. The specific "deep horns" I'm talking about may be the tuba. The sound comes from the right channel.

I hope you have a chance to listen to this version of Passacaglia and teach me a little bit about the different instruments :~)

Hi Chris

I don't have that recording by RR

Working on the time you mentioned from the score

The first and second horns on the left are then joined by third and fourth horns on the LEFT and doubled by trombones on the RIGHT ( this May not be the case in your recording but is most common set up of orchestra

The tuba plays single notes doubling the beat of the TIMPANI is centre or far right

This is quite clear on the recordings I have

Please listen again

Enjoying tapas and studying the score :)

There are distinct timbral as well as pitch differences between them :)

I bought a TAD DA-1000 DAC some weeks ago but considering the enthusiastic review of Chris, I could wonder when it was not throwing money away even when I am very impressed by the TAD's performance also on 16/44.1!

Indeed DACs are likely the most frustrating matter for HiFi amateurs as every day comes with a new killer model in every segment of the market. I add to the list of the models mentioned in some precedent posts: NAGRA HD DAC, Soulution Audio 560 DAC Gryphon Kalliope...

In any case, the difficulty is to test all these models at home, which is the logical way before deciding such an investment...

Even so, any choice bears risk and except being very rich or a HiFi reviewer, the best solution would be to stop reading anything about DACs for a moment not to be mentally depressive :)

Beyond this general consideration, I am interested like other readers to have the opinion/advice of Chris about a direct connexion between the DAC and the final Amplifier. I use such a direct link and improved with no doubt the final result (but had a modest preamp).

The last point relates to the decision not to implement any USB HD input on the BA due to noises it would circulate or create. I observe the fact that USB outputs are present not only on computers but also on music servers that limit noise (near to zero for the best performers). Furthermore USB cables are for some now very well performing.

1 week ago I would not have been so skeptical since I found out a jewel. I was really disappointed with the new WIREWORLD PLATINUM cable (the same that the one used by Chris in this review) plugged into my AURENDER (S 10) and the TAD DAC. A veil remained (more) perceptible when compared with the coaxial cable.

Fortunately my HiFi vendor informed me on the new Absolue Créations USB-TIM cable and offered me to test it. With my system, it sounds great, indeed better than with the coax. Transparency is at least equal (no more veil) and low frequencies are just magnified. I did not unplug this new ecstatic cable ;) No frustration either as I paid only the difference!

Yes, a full Sonore Signature Series Rendu review is on the way.

Excellent!

2012 Mac Mini Quad Core i7 (2.3 GHz, 0SX 10.9; 60gb SSD; 16gb RAM, Battery Power, Battery Buss) > Audirvana Plus > Uptone Audio Regen > Monoprice USB cable> PS Audio DirectStream > W4S ST 1000 > Shunyata Talos > B&W 804S

Excellent review! Very nice to read and hear your comments using the Reference DAC overall and especially with specific music examples. It's fun to read when something really is a great step forward. Your review inspired me to look into this dac further and consider a purchase.

I was surprised to note there was no caps v3 used as a source. Can anyone comment who's tried this dac with a caps v3 server?

I just swapped out the RS for a pair of Devialet 400 monos (for review) :~)

Very different all around.

Chris,

As you open the door for out of main topic posts, I cannot refrain...

Not only to say I am very interested in reading your conclusions to come.

While you are being testing these skilled "full-services" integrated devices, on top of the cream, with an external as internal design (near...) to dye for, may I suggest you to pair them with the LEEDH V2 - 2+1 loudspeakers system and cables that also I am sure will make a tremendous job with the BA RS.

Let's hope you will use hyperlatives :)

PS: I have no stake or relationship with any of these manufacturers.

Chris-

Thank you for the review. As you know, TAS wrote almost the exact things you've written. I look forward to hearing the DAC.

I've read your work for years and have been impressed by your approach, honesty and integrity. It's clear that you love what you do and you've had the courage to create a business out of what you love.

I'm constantly amazed by the arrogance of commenters, and enjoy watching how you manage yourself in response.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

Chris-

Thank you for the review. As you know, TAS wrote almost the exact things you've written. I look forward to hearing the DAC.

I've read your work for years and have been impressed by your approach, honesty and integrity. It's clear that you love what you do and you've had the courage to create a business out of what you love.

I'm constantly amazed by the arrogance of commenters, and enjoy watching how you manage yourself in response.

Hi totdoc - Thank you so much for the kind words. It feels great that you, and hopefully others, understand my approach and appreciate my perspective.

It surprises me that people jump all over very positive reviews but thank the negative reviewer for being "honest." Fortunately an overwhelming percentage of the CA Community is a cut above the rest when it comes to intelligence, respect, and professionalism. The CA Community is what keeps my job the best job in the world.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Originally Posted by thotdoc.

Chris

+1

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

Certainly an enthusiastic review, I guess when you say "most remarkable sounding product I've ever reviewed" you mean you like it. The review does raise some questions.

First "There's no chip a manufacture can purchase and implement that comes close to replicating 'Berkeley's' custom filtering technology". Filters are software based on well established math that goes back many decades. Lets assume their software is really that unique. A chip manufacture can afford fleets of PhDs to design filters. The Berkeley guys don't operate in a vacuum. They took the same courses in school as everyone else, they read the same journals, they talk to the same component vendors and they attend the same conferences. If what they did is that special, its a good bet it will be reverse engineered. If they patent it, the "secret" is out, patents require disclosure.

"A DAC that can make standard resolution (16/44.1) material sound as good as high resolution is a true game changer" I guess this should finally answer the "can people tell the difference between standard cd and hi rez", and the answer is they can't.

"the cost of the parts ended up being 40x greater than parts used in the Alpha DAC Series 2 or the Alpha USB" You can't be saying their COG is 40x their previous product, that would mean to keep the same hardware gross margins their new dac would have to sell for $200,000. Did they tell you which parts cost 40x?

Personally, I don't care whether their parts costs $.25.

It's the result that matters.

Too much intellectualizing takes place when a reviewer says an item is a "game changer" or something similar, when the cost of the product is deemed very high, and far too often when the poster hasn't heard the product.

I own the DAC. It's amazing.

And if a manufacturer is really making too much of a profit on their product, then I'm sure plenty of other Phd's will figure out how to deliver the same product (or better) at a lower price.

Let's see how quickly that happens.

Joel

Personally, I don't care whether their parts costs $.25.

It's the result that matters.

Too much intellectualizing takes place when a reviewer says an item is a "game changer" or something similar, when the cost of the product is deemed very high, and far too often when the poster hasn't heard the product.

I own the DAC. It's amazing.

And if a manufacturer is really making too much of a profit on their product, then I'm sure plenty of other Phd's will figure out how to deliver the same product (or better) at a lower price.

Let's see how quickly that happens.

Joel

I am happy you and Chris are enjoying it. I am sure it is a remarkably good/great product.

My issue is when a reviewer, even Chris makes a comment like:

"Chalk this magic up to the Alpha DAC RS and its brilliant designer Michael "Pflash" Pflaumer and the rest of the 'Berkeley' team who took part in creating the best DAC on the market"

Best DAC on the market????

I think I will just have to take that one with a grain of salt. This is when us cynics have issues with reviews.

Priaptor,

I'm not trying to pick an argument here. Really.

But I'm curious.

What's provocative about someone saying that an item is the best on the market?

No one can believe anything is the best in the market in our hobby?

Joel

Ehhh because it's an absurd statement.

If someone wants to limit "best" to their own experience or sphere no issue but to make a blanket statement that it's "the best on the market" destroys any credibility.

Well, it's a review and by that measure is by its' nature "only" Chris' opinion. So technically you are right, but to call the statement absurd because it isn't "fact" is also absurd.

Chris has credibility based on his past and continuing work. He doesn't call everything he reviews a "game changer" or "best ever". He's reviewed some of the best DACs on the market very favorably. Including some that are much more pricey than this one. So when he says this one is the "best" he's heard the statement has some innate credibility.

Sorry if his style bothers you. Learn to relax a bit and read it in its' larger context and life will have one less annoyance for you:)

Ehhh because it's an absurd statement.

If someone wants to limit "best" to their own experience or sphere no issue but to make a blanket statement that it's "the best on the market" destroys any credibility.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well, it's a review and by that measure is by its' nature "only" Chris' opinion. So technically you are right, but to call the statement absurd because it isn't "fact" is also absurd.

Chris has credibility based on his past and continuing work. He doesn't call everything he reviews a "game changer" or "best ever". He's reviewed some of the best DACs on the market very favorably. Including some that are much more pricey than this one. So when he says this one is the "best" he's heard the statement has some innate credibility.

Sorry if his style bothers you. Learn to relax a bit and read it in its' larger context and life will have one less annoyance for you:)

I am relaxed just pointing out, like others, that when a comment like that is made it mitigates the legitimacy of the review, at least IMO.

Man you guys need to unplug and stop praying at the Chris altar. Yeah I like Chris and for the most part enjoy reading his reviews and take on the industry BUT I also have no issue pointing out things that are over the top when I read them.

I'd suggest the skeptics give a read through or two with the interview with Michael Ritter in the Absolute Sound. Then, I'd suggest you go listen to a DAC2x, which might be easier to find, and ponder the idea that the RS exceeds it in a number of areas. Now, I've spent some time with the DAC2x, in the process of winnowing out high end DACs of a certain price class, ultimately ending up with a TotalDAC-D1 Dual, which I use with a Mutec MC3-Plus and Rubidium clock (which takes the TotalDAC up another notch or two, as it does most DACs). Frankly, though I've been very happy with the TotalDAC, I also have an Alpha USB and a BADA (which I still use in a secondary system), and given what I'm reading, I'm going to be checking out the RS if Music Lovers, the local Berkeley Audio dealer, gets them in. you just never know.... so cut Chris some slack, and go listen to the Berkeley RS before you dismiss his inputs.

Certainly an enthusiastic review, I guess when you say "most remarkable sounding product I've ever reviewed" you mean you like it. The review does raise some questions.

First "There's no chip a manufacture can purchase and implement that comes close to replicating 'Berkeley's' custom filtering technology". Filters are software based on well established math that goes back many decades. Lets assume their software is really that unique. A chip manufacture can afford fleets of PhDs to design filters. The Berkeley guys don't operate in a vacuum. They took the same courses in school as everyone else, they read the same journals, they talk to the same component vendors and they attend the same conferences. If what they did is that special, its a good bet it will be reverse engineered. If they patent it, the "secret" is out, patents require disclosure.

"A DAC that can make standard resolution (16/44.1) material sound as good as high resolution is a true game changer" I guess this should finally answer the "can people tell the difference between standard cd and hi rez", and the answer is they can't.

"the cost of the parts ended up being 40x greater than parts used in the Alpha DAC Series 2 or the Alpha USB" You can't be saying their COG is 40x their previous product, that would mean to keep the same hardware gross margins their new dac would have to sell for $200,000. Did they tell you which parts cost 40x?

+1

+1. As one of my more hard nosed engineering friends likes to say, true breakthroughs in audio are few and far between. Most quantum leaps forward relate to advertising and hype. That is not to say that the dac is not killer and Chris was/is bowled over. Again, Chris, what was your previous digital frame of reference?

I'd suggest the skeptics give a read through or two with the interview with Michael Ritter in the Absolute Sound. Then, I'd suggest you go listen to a DAC2x, which might be easier to find, and ponder the idea that the RS exceeds it in a number of areas. Now, I've spent some time with the DAC2x, in the process of winnowing out high end DACs of a certain price class, ultimately ending up with a TotalDAC-D1 Dual, which I use with a Mutec MC3-Plus and Rubidium clock (which takes the TotalDAC up another notch or two, as it does most DACs). Frankly, though I've been very happy with the TotalDAC, I also have an Alpha USB and a BADA (which I still use in a secondary system), and given what I'm reading, I'm going to be checking out the RS if Music Lovers, the local Berkeley Audio dealer, gets them in. you just never know.... so cut Chris some slack, and go listen to the Berkeley RS before you dismiss his inputs.

Jon, the same can be said for you. Nobody here has heard even most Dacs out there and I can tell you the Trinity people are going crazy over that (mechanical oversampling and all that)...so without hearing it in the same setup, who knows. Phasure people like Mani love their Dac too (Phasure NOS1a). Miska with his DSD algorithms and his DSC-1 DSD Dac running with HQ Player. I have heard the dac2x and the Totaldac and guess what, I think the Lampizator 7 has better sonics! That is to my ears.

When you play in the very high end, it's better to say...ONE of the best out there and stay away from absolutes. And I like Chris a lot, so would not give him grief at all. He is a great guy. That said, people should be free to crtitique certain aspects of his review with no ill-intent in mind. Me, I take Chris's enthusiam as just that. He thinks the Dac sounds great and it's one of the best out there, the best in his living room ever. I can live with that.

Here is MY absolute though (LoL...breaking my own edict) no DSD to PCM conversion can sound as good as DSD done right! That is my story and I's sticking to it! Hehehe

One final point...as Agear also says, the Transport is half the battle, so Dac in isolation is futility.

Jon, the same can be said for you. Nobody here has heard even most Dacs out there and I can tell you the Trinity people are going crazy over that (mechanical oversampling and all that)...so without hearing it in the same setup, who knows. Phasure people like Mani love their Dac too (Phasure NOS1a). Miska with his DSD algorithms and his DSC-1 DSD Dac running with HQ Player. I have heard the dac2x and the Totaldac and guess what, I think the Lampizator 7 has better sonics! That is to my ears.

When you play in the very high end, it's better to say...ONE of the best out there and stay away from absolutes. And I like Chris a lot, so would not give him grief at all. He is a great guy. That said, people should be free to crtitique certain aspects of his review with no ill-intent in mind. Me, I take Chris's enthusiam as just that. He thinks the Dac sounds great and it's one of the best out there, the best in his living room ever. I can live with that.

Here is MY absolute though (LoL...breaking my own edict) no DSD to PCM conversion can sound as good as DSD done right! That is my story and I's sticking to it! Hehehe

One final point...as Agear also says, the Transport is half the battle, so Dac in isolation is futility.

EXACTLY. I agree. While I have never met Chris, all my interactions with him would lead me to agree that he seems like a great guy and I enjoy his writings and he in addition to a few others have enabled me to reach a level I never would have reached regarding digital which I am ever greatful. All I was doing was just critiquing something I found over the top regarding this review. I am not the first and surely won't be the last to raise the issue of reviewers that make these kind of comments mitigating, at least in some readers minds (in this case mine), the veracity of the review in question.