IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series Review

Thanks for the information, corehun.

That's very helpful

There's no way I'm knowledgeable enough to answer the question you raise.

But I'm going to send a message to Robert Harley asking why he set his Alpha Reference to 59.

It might have been an assumption on his part or it might have worked better given the equipment in his system.

Joel

Well, I once read something to the effect that if you take all of the reviews of high-end equipment seriously, then you would, logically, be forced to assume that the sound of such equipment long ago surpassed actual live music performance.

I don't log in often but I enjoyed reading this review, and all the comments. It makes me think I need to perhaps consider something or other Berkeley as my Dac.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

I have the Aplha RS which has now replaced my Alpha DAC Series 1. I think Chris has really captured well the excitement that the Alpha RS DAC can deliver when listening to music. I can't articulate the sound of the Alpha RS DAC as well as Chris can but it is almost irrelevant in my view when you hear recorded music that sounds 'live'.

I do enjoy listening to recorded music at realistic levels but the strange thing with this DAC, and I am sure all great systems, is the ability to reduce the level whilst still enjoying an open window to the recording. The Alpha DAC absolutely excells in this respect and in many ways is the most surprising thing I have found with this DAC.

Thanks for an informative review and I am thrilled with the way my system is now delivering a 'live music' experience every evening in my lounge!

I have the Aplha RS which has now replaced my Alpha DAC Series 1. I think Chris has really captured well the excitement that the Alpha RS DAC can deliver when listening to music. I can't articulate the sound of the Alpha RS DAC as well as Chris can but it is almost irrelevant in my view when you hear recorded music that sounds 'live'.

I do enjoy listening to recorded music at realistic levels but the strange thing with this DAC, and I am sure all great systems, is the ability to reduce the level whilst still enjoying an open window to the recording. The Alpha DAC absolutely excells in this respect and in many ways is the most surprising thing I have found with this DAC.

Thanks for an informative review and I am thrilled with the way my system is now delivering a 'live music' experience every evening in my lounge!

Just wondering how long it took you to get one, from order date till receipt. Here it's many months at this point. I'm guessing that you placed your order in early August. At that time Berkeley Audio was quoting a 10 week order to ship.

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Hi Steve, I had been talking to my dealer who is based in Switzerland ( no dealer in UK) since learning of this new DAC some months ago. He mailed me in September to say he was about to take delivery and I said I'd have it. There was a delay as I have been on holiday. So I'm not sure what the timescales are if the dealer has to order for you.

I really think it will be worth any wait!

• 3 weeks later...

Are you using a preamp or running the RS straight to your amp?

I bought a TAD DA-1000 DAC some weeks ago but considering the enthusiastic review of Chris, I could wonder when it was not throwing money away even when I am very impressed by the TAD's performance also on 16/44.1!

Indeed DACs are likely the most frustrating matter for HiFi amateurs as every day comes with a new killer model in every segment of the market. I add to the list of the models mentioned in some precedent posts: NAGRA HD DAC, Soulution Audio 560 DAC Gryphon Kalliope...

Dear Typhorn, as you say, this hobby can be very frustrating: you buy a TOL gear and the next day to hear about a new one supposed to be even better !!

I am myself right now having to decide which DAC to purchase to feed my new tube headphone Amp Eddie Current 4-45.

I have now in my list :

- TAD DA1000

- NAGRA HD DAC

- Berkley Design reference DAC (for it's suposed superior sound with 16/44)

- Lampizator BIG7

- Total-DAC D1

and on a more reasonable pricing level:

- AMR DP-777 (the next SE version to come in December)

Re the TAD DA1000, since you have one, I was wondering if the fact that 24/192 is downsampled to 24/96 isn't a problem. This 96 kHz limitation is quite surprising for such an expensive device ! Also, how does it handle DSD ? and 16/44 ?

and last question: if the headphone amp useable or more an afterthought feature ?

thanks for your advices

Hi Steve, I had been talking to my dealer who is based in Switzerland ( no dealer in UK) since learning of this new DAC some months ago. He mailed me in September to say he was about to take delivery and I said I'd have it. There was a delay as I have been on holiday. So I'm not sure what the timescales are if the dealer has to order for you.

I really think it will be worth any wait!

I am happy that you can get one in europe. Indeed, I thought that the berkley cannot anymore be imported because of some stupid enviremental EC rules.

could you provide me with the name/contact of your dealer in Switzerland ?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Chris,

"One of the strengths of the Alpha DAC RS that make it such a great component is its ability to playback standard resolution (16/44.1) material better than any DAC I've heard. According to many DAC designers, playback of standard resolution is where the rubber meets the road, not only because the vast majority of music is released at 16/44.1, but because it takes considerable expertise to develop digital filters for CD quality material"

what cd transport did you use for red book cds?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone i'm not native english I WANT to share my story. I saved money to spend in hi fi system.. I bought many products in 2014 , I want to upgrade my system with focal speakers so I bought Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference, I couldn't tell the differences at the first 3 days , after 1 week I found the sound in bigger than my hugo dac imaging better , hugo's sound realistic also Berkeley it's not only realistic but also live and clear voice . but not huge performance over hugo, I don't know but it seems something wrong with this dac .

• 2 weeks later...

Well PT7, may be the problem is with the HUGO :-)

Indeed, I have myself a HUGO, and each time I try a desktop DAC to replace my HUGO I find the HUGO as good as (or better) than those more expensive and much bigger DAC. This is how good is the HUGO ! It is quite frustrating not to be able to find a clear upgrade to the small HUGO ! ;-)

On another subject, I will be very interested to hear a comparaison between the berkley reference and the NAGRA HD DAC. They are indeed in the same category, but use a totally different approach:

-> Berkley can only play PCM while NAGRA convert everything to DSD ! which approach is right ?

• 1 month later...

Hi Chris,

Could you please share your opinion about sound difference between the Chord QBD76HD and Berkeley RS.

I have the Chord QBD76HD now and planning to upgrade to new Chord DAVE or Berkeley RS. Curious to hear if anybody has done a direct comparison between them.

DarthMaul - I'd be careful about reaching any conclusions on how the Chord DAVE will compare to the Berkeley Reference based on a comparison to the QBD76HD. The DAVE is supposed to be a very significant step forward in performance and produces a far more accurate conversion of the digital signal with its 166 DSP cores and 164,000 tap digital filter. I expect the DAVE to be a game changer once it's released based upon Chord's DAC history, the technology it is using and Chord's claims about its performance. I have found that Chord historically demonstrates a very high degree of credibility in meeting and even exceeding the high expectations that they set on their DACs.

Actually, I didnt like the hugo. I preferred the Qute (HD and EX) with LPSU. Many preferred the QBD to the Hugo as well. Others strongly disagreed and for them the Hugo was the beez kneez.

Also, gamechanger as a term is overused. I have found that there are MANY paths to audio nirvana, no-one holds a monopoly.

The Dave siugnals lots of latest tech and seems very appealing on paper, but I reserve judgement till its out.

Although I have not heard the Berk Ref, many say its very, very good.

There is all to play for, so let the games begn!

winson - Of course you are correct in that no one solution will be everyone's unanimous favorite, since we all hear differently and have our own expectations and preferences. I haven't heard the Berkeley Reference yet either, and have read that the wait time to get one is running six months and counting for some early buyers. It is supposed to be a superb performer by all reports. Will also be interesting to see how some of these top DACs compare to the Lampizators. It should be interesting, and only time will tell. Stay tuned!

Bill,

I didnt mean it that way (taste). I meant that manufacturers take radically different design paths and many of them still end up sounding top notch. Many ways to skin a cat.

I have found that FPGA works well for PCM and much less well for DSD, for example. For PCM, I have heard DS, R2R and FPGA implemenations all work well.

Dave could end up being a PCM Champ, but I have lower expectations for DSD, given that I am yet to be convinced by FPGA DSD. Perhpas this will change though..

Thank you, audio.bill.

But what's your preference between currently available DACs from the Chord and Berkeley? These companies have very different approaches to the digital filtering, upsampling and conversion techniques.

I haven't heard the Berkeley Reference myself, there's a long waiting list so they're hard to come by. However from multiple reviews that I've read and comments from dealers the Ref is supposed to set a new standard in digital playback, so I would expect it to beat the current Chord DACs. The DAVE has yet to be released so we'll have to see how it compares but my expectations for it are very high. Hopefully its sonic performance will match the high level of technology that Chord has designed into it.