IGNORED

Article: Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series Review

I guess you liked it. :)

What was the primary source and path? Did you find it immune or sensitive to cabling? Did you attempt to convert DSD to 176k+, and if so, how did it sound vs native (EMM)?

Thx

Ted

Hmm... Sorry to be the first commenter and be skeptical. If I understand correctly, you're saying that this device negates every other audio device you've ever heard. That suggests to me that it is altering the music - arguably in a way that you enjoy - but not "playing the music as the artist intended," to use an increasingly common trope. Because, Chris, I know you have a lot of experience with high-end equipment, and the mere thought that one such device is so different from all the others makes it hard to imagine that it is faithful.

Does that make sense? I'm sincerely curious about this, because you're not generally the type to be this effusive.

Kirk

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

Hmm... Sorry to be the first commenter and be skeptical. If I understand correctly, you're saying that this device negates every other audio device you've ever heard. That suggests to me that it is altering the music - arguably in a way that you enjoy - but not "playing the music as the artist intended," to use an increasingly common trope. Because, Chris, I know you have a lot of experience with high-end equipment, and the mere thought that one such device is so different from all the others makes it hard to imagine that it is faithful.

Does that make sense? I'm sincerely curious about this, because you're not generally the type to be this effusive.

Kirk

Hi Kirk - First, what are you doing reading Computer Audiophile on one of the biggest days in Apple history? Only kidding :~)

I certainly understand where you are coming from and you are correct that I'm never this effusive about anything. This product really has to be heard to be believed. I think your statements / skepticism could be turned around and be just as valid by saying that everything else is altering the music and changing it in a way that the Alpha DAC RS doesn't. Most DAC designers seek perfection. 'Berkeley' has come as close as possible to perfection whereas the other designers haven't touched this level yet.

P.S. I'll be following your tweets this afternoon. There's no way Apple is going to call it the iWatch :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Kirk

Kirk,

Why wouldn't the perspective be that this device is altering the sound even less than anything he ever heard? Why more?

Oops, Chris was typing while I was and reached same point.

Chris,

I'm a multi-tasking super-hero. :-) And, yeah, iWatch? That sounds too limiting.

I see your point. You're suggesting that everything else is putting a veil over the music? But this suggests that even those oxygen-free mono-directional cables don't make much of a difference then... (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

It's quite a bold statement. I'm curious to see if other reviewers say the same thing.

Kirk

I guess you liked it. :)

What was the primary source and path? Did you find it immune or sensitive to cabling? Did you attempt to convert DSD to 176k+, and if so, how did it sound vs native (EMM)?

Thx

Ted

I used the Sonore Signature Series Rendu for much of the review. This allowed me to use JRiver as the DLNA server and JRemote for control. I have a copy of all my DSD material in both native DSD and converted 176.4 kHz (converted with JRiver offline). I played plenty of the 176.4 PCM stuff through the RS and it sounded better than the native through other DACs. The RS is a game changer.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I have always thought that proper implementation of the 44.1/16 standard would reduce the demand for for Hi-Res formats. With any luck there will be a trickle down of this technology in the future.

Hmm, that's interesting. That does, however, negate the claims of audiophiles who say that high-res music is superior.

So, no need for Pono if we have $16K DACs? :-)

Kirk

Given the investment-grade status of this digital piece, and given that the digital sector of the audio world is the fastest changing, what is Berkeley's future-proofing or update/upgrade capability for this unit? I see there is no ethernet port nor USB port (two classic paths for field-updatable firmware).

Given the investment-grade status of this digital piece, and given that the digital sector of the audio world is the fastest changing, what is Berkeley's future-proofing or update/upgrade capability for this unit? I see there is no ethernet port nor USB port (two classic paths for field-updatable firmware).

Berkeley has typically updated firmware through WAV files just like dCS. Playing them through the DAC updates the firmware.

I want to jump in and completely echo Chris' comments here.

I have the unit in my home system and believe it is one of the most significant purchases I've ever made in this hobby.

It's almost unprecedented in my experience that a single component could improve the sound to the degree this one has.

And I find that surprising because my brain wants to tell me that the playback of bit perfect digital files simply shouldn't have the kind of potential for improvement that I've heard.

It's funny Chris would make the comment about the Berkeley's playback of redbook files as I had sent him a message recently saying that I couldn't believe so much detail could be extracted from "simple" 16/44.1 files.

Chris is not exaggerating. This DAC offers not a meaningful but a dramatic improvement in the sound it processes.

I wasn't prepared to be this much of a believer but I'm a big (and very happy) believer now.

Listen to it in a system you know well and you could become a believer as well.

Joel

"A DAC that can make standard resolution (16/44.1) material sound as good as high resolution is a true game changer."

In which case, Berkeley are some 3 years behind the real game changer... IMHO of course.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

"A DAC that can make standard resolution (16/44.1) material sound as good as high resolution is a true game changer."

In which case, Berkeley are some 3 years behind the real game changer... IMHO of course.

Mani.

Quite an antagonistic comment Mani. I've likely heard what your talking about and it's no game changer.

I've likely heard what your talking about and it's no game changer.

What? You've likely heard a Phasure NOS1? Come on, you either have or you haven't... If you have, which version was it and with which PC and software player? What system were you using it with? With a preamp?

You know I have a Pacific Microsonics Model Two. Certainly a SOTA ADC, but considered by many (you?) to be a SOTA DAC too. 3 years ago it was totally embarrassed by the original NOS1. Totally embarrassed. The latest NOS1a is a lot better than the original. On a final note, virtually no NOS1 owners are interested in hirez - most redbook sounds pretty much as good (upsampled in XXHE).

Chris, I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but I think I'm entitled to consider the original Phasure NOS1 a true 'game changer'.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

What? You've likely heard a Phasure NOS1? Come on, you either have or you haven't... If you have, which version was it and with which PC and software player? What system were you using it with? With a preamp?

You know I have a Pacific Microsonics Model Two. Certainly a SOTA ADC, but considered by many (you?) to be a SOTA DAC too. 3 years ago it was totally embarrassed by the original NOS1. Totally embarrassed. The latest NOS1a is a lot better than the original. On a final note, virtually no NOS1 owners are interested in hirez - most redbook sounds pretty much as good (upsampled in XXHE).

Chris, I don't mean to sound antagonistic, but I think I'm entitled to consider the original Phasure NOS1 a true 'game changer'.

Mani.

I figured that was the DAC you alluded to in your comment. Yes, I've heard it and stand by my opinion.

We'll just agree to differ then. Personally I would urge anyone considering the Berkeley to take a listen to the latest Phasure NOS1a first - you might get even better sound... for $10K less. But you won't get the aesthetics or the badge... or be giving the distributor and dealer a massive cut.

Mani.

For my station in life I read reviews for equipment at this level for the entertainment value only. For me it's no different that reading the automobile rags and dreaming about an Aston Martin or something else exotic, there's no chance of me acquiring either the DAC or the car. For pure entertainment value your review gets 5 stars, but my B.S. meter was pegged throughout the whole read. With such superlatives being bandied about what room have you left for the review of the equipment that beats the RS when it comes out, which will certainly happen. No comparison to vinyl which still remains the gold standard in some people's mind. Also, for $16,000 I would have expected a small level of bling, instead of the dull as dishwater design put forth.

Jim

For my station in life I read reviews for equipment at this level for the entertainment value only. For me it's no different that reading the automobile rags and dreaming about an Aston Martin or something else exotic, there's no chance of me acquiring either the DAC or the car. For pure entertainment value your review gets 5 stars, but my B.S. meter was pegged throughout the whole read. With such superlatives being bandied about what room have you left for the review of the equipment that beats the RS when it comes out, which will certainly happen. No comparison to vinyl which still remains the gold standard in some people's mind. Also, for $16,000 I would have expected a small level of bling, instead of the dull as dishwater design put forth.

I won't argue with your opinion, but I would like to know what specifically in my review is BS.