IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Lightning 2.0 release;

The fact that this version will contain an uPnP server, what will this imply?

If you use an USB disc or memory stick locally it makes sense to have this installed on a renderer-bridge, but will it also work with your NAS via wifi?

If yes, then I guess Minimserver install on your NAS is no longer mandatory?

I reckon the Aries will still be set to OpenHome by default?

Just trying to understand the basic concept here......

It's unlikely that any proposed built-in Lightning DS UPnP media server will be able to access a NAS's shared folders to get to its stored audio files for its music library, seeing how anal Apple is with iOS doing that sort of network access. I'd guess it's actually for the iPad's own stored music files and possibly storage devices you are able to attach to it.

Also, I don't see why using a different UPnP media server would affect the Aries being set to OpenHome. It's the renderer and the control point devices that are involved with OpenHome, nothing to do with the UPnP media server.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

They are one and the same. I can verify that you will be able to connect directly to your NAS' music directory from the Lightning Server and will not require running a music server such as Minimserver on the NAS.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

They are one and the same. I can verify that you will be able to connect directly to your NAS' music directory from the Lightning Server and will not require running a music server such as Minimserver on the NAS.

Thus the server will read the metadata from the music files on your NAS and include a link (filepath) to the actual music file... Is that correct? And to do so, it needs the SMB Samba feature? It would be great if we don't need Minimserver or other servers. IMHO it's still all too tech-savvy. Auralic aims at a large® audience with its new Aries Mini, so the whole concept should be really easy to understand and act itself as one single point of control (for example for settings like: ignore 'The' in the artist's name). Lightning / Aries should not rely anymore on other servers for these things. Can anyone confirm that's the case with v2?

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

SAMBA for all intents and purposes equals SMB/CIFS.

This is how the Aries would communicate with your NAS or file server.

It is a networking protocol.

So the Aries Lightning Server will be able to communicate with your NAS/File Server. Lighting Server is essentially a music server, so it will replace the need for something like Minimserver.

So Lightning server can manage a USB drive you have connected to the Aries ( it does this today ), and soon it will also be able to manage a music collection stored on a NAS or file server. Much as you enter the path to your music collection when setting up Minimserver, you would do the same for Lightning Server.

And Lightning server will offer it own set of capabilities on how it manages your music collection. Things such as by File type, Import Date, etc.

Lighting DS v2.0 is supposed to enable these capabilities within Lightning Server.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks for clarifying, Barr.

So the 2.0 release of the Lightning DS app itself will not contain a UPnP media server and it's just the original Lightning Server running on the Aries that has had its capabailities extended to be a SAMBA client.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Still discovering my new ARIES and I am happy to report that it sound ( with my HUGO) better than my precious source (with USB HD as well as QOBUZ)

- I found several anowing bugs, but with V2.0 coming, I will not get Mad about them and will just wait to see if they are fixed with the new version.

--> so someone know when is V2 expected ?

- I use today USB with my HUGO. I tried go use COAX but it did not work ! NO sound !

--> Does the COAX output need to be activated to work ( how ? ) or are all 4 ports supposed to be always working together ?

thanks in advance

- I use today USB with my HUGO. I tried go use COAX but it did not work ! NO sound !

--> Does the COAX output need to be activated to work ( how ? ) or are all 4 ports supposed to be always working together ?

thanks in advance

You have to choose between USB and the digital outs. It's in the setup menu in Lightning, under Device ->Aries -> Output channel.

So the 2.0 release of the Lightning DS app itself will not contain a UPnP media server and it's just the original Lightning Server running on the Aries that has had its capabailities extended to be a SAMBA client.

John

I guess the Aries has a built-in uPnP server already (to support the local USB storage).

John

Yes John, however to be clear, one can view the Lightning Server music library ( whether as a locally attached USB drive or a connection to a NAS ) via control points such as Linn Kinsky & Kazoo, as well as the Lumin application. Much in the same manner one could view and control playback of a Minimserver library.

Barr

I guess the Aries has a built-in uPnP server already (to support the local USB storage).

I guess what I said didn't make a lot of sense, so let me rephrase my comment;

Can a control point host a uPnP server?

Also, is the local media server on the Aries based on uPnP in the first place?

Lightning Server is running on the Aries, not on a control point running on an iPad or Android device (i.e Lightning DS, Lumin, Kazoo).

If it helps, this is directly from Auralic in the Lightning Server FAQ. It is a small snippet.

---Tear here--->

The AURALiC firmware team has developed uPnP server software named LightningServer and integrates it into ARIES. Lightning Server will monitor the USB diskplugged into an ARIES, scan the disk and create a music library service for LightningDS.

The current version of Lightning Server supports all music files that ARIES canplayback, which are: AAC, AIF, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DFF, DSF, MP3, OGG, WAV, WVand WMA files.

Yes, Lightning Server supports DSD music in DSF and DFF format as well as DXDmusic in WAV, AIF, AIFF and FLAC format. It is recommended to use DSF file to keepyour DSD music because it allows metadata information.

Like all other uPnP server software, Lightning Server read music file’s metadata tocreate music library. You will need to tag your music files properly in order to letLightning DS display music file’s information information .

If it helps, this is directly from Auralic in the Lightning Server FAQ. It is a small snippet.

---Tear here--->

The AURALiC firmware team has developed uPnP server software named LightningServer and integrates it into ARIES. Lightning Server will monitor the USB diskplugged into an ARIES, scan the disk and create a music library service for LightningDS.

The current version of Lightning Server supports all music files that ARIES canplayback, which are: AAC, AIF, AIFF, ALAC, APE, DFF, DSF, MP3, OGG, WAV, WVand WMA files.

Yes, Lightning Server supports DSD music in DSF and DFF format as well as DXDmusic in WAV, AIF, AIFF and FLAC format. It is recommended to use DSF file to keepyour DSD music because it allows metadata information.

Like all other uPnP server software, Lightning Server read music file’s metadata tocreate music library. You will need to tag your music files properly in order to letLightning DS display music file’s information information .

Thanks, I would expect it to be uPnP, and now we know for sure :)

---Tear here--->

Ouch! No FLAC support...

Just kidding, though, but a nasty omission in the FAQ section.

:)

On a serious note. T H A N K S Barr (Bplexico). Your willingness to help others and explain this stuff is remarkable!!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

I assume we will still have the option to use Minimserver in version 2.0?

I see it has been submitted to Apple, we are just waiting for them to review and release.......

Yes you can still choose to use Minimserver.