IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

So, these shots are after clicking on the artist "Tesla".

Here it shows the albums that I have by Tesla

Landscape View.PNG

Rotate iPad to portrait view and it shows this

Portrait View.jpg

Select "All Artists" and you can scroll through with this view

Portrait View - All Library.jpg

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Audio industry is fast moving to a scenario where software development best practices should be seriously taken into account. Most of the issues we are discussing here could be avoided with a tight release control and close attention to end users expectations.

Audio industry is fast moving to a scenario where software development best practices should be seriously taken into account. Most of the issues we are discussing here could be avoided with a tight release control and close attention to end users expectations.

I hate to tell you but there is no piece of single software I use that doesn't have some sort of issue upon major release.

EDIT: Also, AURALiC submitted the new release under 8.3 and 8.4 came out during the review by Apple. He has apologized and fixed the issue within hours.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Has anyone been able to do an smb:// connection to their Synology? I keep getting unreachable errors.

My NAS has a fixed address (192.168.1.25) and my music is in the standard volume1/music folder. I can connect using my MAC to smb://192.168.1.25/music no problem, but with Lightning I get the error :(

I am running iOS 9, not sure if that has anything to do with it?

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

With regard to code unit and system test, I believe that those companies working with similar systems in an industrial environment must not expect the same demands for stringent implementation, structure and compliance in the audio segment. In audio there are also hardware suppliers that outsource the software because it it just a 'necessity' for the appliance to work. Being an early adopter and beta tester for more than a decade I think I am entitled to have an opinion on this. My impression of the audio business is that it is mostly a try and fail methodology that is used..... ;)

Now if this software problem was as Auralic are saying caused by ios update 8.4 fare enough but users here are reporting not updating to 8.4 but still having same problems,easy to heap blame on Apple when things don't work,as far as free software updates go Johans if you read what mr Wang said of software updates you would understand that the price of Aries was to include future software updates and software development,i have had Aries from first batch and as many from here will tell you its been small steps but a lengthy process to get where we are today,i bought Aries reading Auralics plans for Aries with room correction and up sampling had i known then i would have to wait 3 years for them to implement these features would i have waited as 3 years is just too long in the digital world and tech moves far to fast,Aries will be old tech by then,

I just updated to 2.0, went through the setup guide/procedures, but now nothing shows up in my library. I was running my library off of an attached USB drive, I can search for music and play it that way, but it still says my library is empty. I have re-scanned the drive multiple times. Is there anything I need to do, or am I missing anything? Is anyone else having this issue?

I just updated to 2.0, went through the setup guide/procedures, but now nothing shows up in my library. I was running my library off of an attached USB drive, I can search for music and play it that way, but it still says my library is empty. I have re-scanned the drive multiple times. Is there anything I need to do, or am I missing anything? Is anyone else having this issue?

Yes, see above posts...

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-lightning-ds-app-software-impressions-and-information-21262/index43.html#post442087

Just to let folks know, I had a reply from Mr. Wang about not being able to mount my NAS folder. The issue is due to the fact that the Aries does a ping to the NAS to see if it's reachable. If like me your NAS firewall rules block ping etc, then this fails and so you get the unreachable error. To fix it I've added a rule to my firewall to allow all port access (although ping isn't specifically a port type thing) for the specific IP address of my Aries (I'm using a fixed IP address via DNS). I can now mount my music folder on the NAS and it's currently scanning.

If you don't currently use a fixed IP for your Aries then I guess you'd have to add a rule to allow your entire subnet access in your firewall.

HTH

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I know other's have already posted with comments on the same sentiment, but I just wanted to publicly acknowledge the fantastic customer support from Auralic. Yes, there were issues with the new LDS v2 update, and in hindsight developer builds of iOS 8.4 have been around for a while, so more testing could have been done, but having said all that, their reaction to the situation from my perspective has been nothing short of fantastic.

I raised the issue about SMB connections on Saturday evening (EST) and had replies my Sunday morning explaining the developer would look at the issue first thing on Monday. By the time I woke on Monday I already had emails explain the possible issue (See my previous post). At the same time Mr. Wang requested my UUID in order to send me the fixed version (2.0.1) to try. As someone who has an Apple Developer account I know how precious these are, so for Auralic to take the step of distributing a new version in this way is remarkable.

I've worked in the software industry for over 25 years and as someone who holds a CTO role within a nasdaq listed software company, I think they have demonstrated what going above & beyond is to help a customer. Yes at the end of the day the issue was of their making, but I can't imagine what more they could have done to help me, and others out.

I'm now happily streaming music straight from my NAS via an SMB connection and it all sounds great!

Just to let folks know, I had a reply from Mr. Wang about not being able to mount my NAS folder. The issue is due to the fact that the Aries does a ping to the NAS to see if it's reachable. If like me your NAS firewall rules block ping etc, then this fails and so you get the unreachable error. To fix it I've added a rule to my firewall to allow all port access (although ping isn't specifically a port type thing) for the specific IP address of my Aries (I'm using a fixed IP address via DNS). I can now mount my music folder on the NAS and it's currently scanning.

If you don't currently use a fixed IP for your Aries then I guess you'd have to add a rule to allow your entire subnet access in your firewall.

HTH

Thanks for the update dmormerod

For those that have LDS 2.0.1 running, have you been able to add new albums without having to do a Rescan? I added a couple of new albums to my NAS, did 'Refresh Cache' but don't see the newly added tracks. The only way I could get the new stuff to appear was to do a 'Rescan'. Does anyone know if that's the intended behavior?

Thanks

HTH

Afraid not getting it to connect. Any other tips? A relative novice with this. Mine is a Synology DS 214play for what it's worth. Thanks

Afraid not getting it to connect. Any other tips? A relative novice with this. Mine is a Synology DS 214play for what it's worth. Thanks

A couple of questions :

1. Do you have a fixed IP address assigned to your Aries? This is something you have to do on your DHCP server?

2. Have you added a new Firewall rule to your Synology that allows all port access from a specific IP address, using the fixed IP of your Aries?

(A quick way to test that #2 is working is to set the specific IP address in the firewall rule to that of your PC/Mac and try pinging your Synology to see if you get a response. Assuming that works OK, set the rule back to the fixed IP of your Aries.)

I never used Fixed IP and never have any problem with connections

My response was specifically in reference to using the new smb connection in LDS v2. Even in that case you don't need to use a fixed IP address, but personally I think it's a more secure option when adding a new rule to your NAS firewall if it's associated with a specific IP address. Likewise I also created a specific user account on my NAS for the Aries connection that only has specific access rights for the folder where my music is stored. If you're NAS isn't publicly available on the internet then none of this maybe a concern.