IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Here is an interesting article on TIDAL:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jay-z-streaming-service-flops---84m-lehman-trial-begins-and-cash-is-not-king-144459023.html

Apparently, they do not think that TIDAL is doing too well.

Thanks for the feedback. It's been very helpful.

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

Here is an interesting article on TIDAL:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/jay-z-streaming-service-flops---84m-lehman-trial-begins-and-cash-is-not-king-144459023.html

Apparently, they do not think that TIDAL is doing too well.

Jay Z certainly knew how much of an uphill battle he would have to pull customers away from Spotify. Certainly anyone with common sense would understand that it's going to take TIDAL some time to gain marketshare. Obviously this writer for Yahoo lacks such sense. But unfortunately he/she is not alone.

TIDAL's new owner has barely had time to put his own mark on TIDAL. It's too soon to judge his success just weeks after making he's made the purchase.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

This might be a stupid question, but when in Artist View, if you select an artist from the slide out menu, you're now presented with a list of the albums. From the album list how do you get back to the artist list?

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

This might be a stupid question, but when in Artist View, if you select an artist from the slide out menu, you're now presented with a list of the albums. From the album list how do you get back to the artist list?

Press the button on the upper left under the back arrow that shows a small arrow to the right. It will slide out.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I guess I was expecting a way to get back to the initial view with the artists in the window where the albums now are, but yes I see that the slide out menu allows me to pick a new Artist.

Thanks for that I knew it would be something simple!

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

Here's a question I've waited too long to ask, and I'm hoping I'm missing something simple and silly.

I've seen multiple references from both Auralic as well as users or reviewers referencing the fact that we can currently create playlists with a mix of library tracks AND Tidal tracks. Yet I see no mechanism in the software that allows me to do this.

Am I missing something? I'm fully updated. Thanks as always!

Here's a question I've waited too long to ask, and I'm hoping I'm missing something simple and silly.

I've seen multiple references from both Auralic as well as users or reviewers referencing the fact that we can currently create playlists with a mix of library tracks AND Tidal tracks. Yet I see no mechanism in the software that allows me to do this.

Am I missing something? I'm fully updated. Thanks as always!

I am probably missing the point of your question, but just in case, you are aware of the Playlists feature to build playlists? I don't have Tidal so I have only added tracks that are on my music server to it. I also just looked at the Aries firmware release notes and you will need to wait for the release of Lightning DS 2.0 for support of a mixed playlist ( which is what you are asking for ).

• Device now allows mixed playing queue from local music files and streaming (waiting fornew Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).

1k.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I am probably missing the point of your question, but just in case, you are aware of the Playlists feature to build playlists? I don't have Tidal so I have only added tracks that are on my music server to it. I also just looked at the Aries firmware release notes and you will need to wait for the release of Lightning DS 2.0 for support of a mixed playlist ( which is what you are asking for ).

• Device now allows mixed playing queue from local music files and streaming (waiting fornew Lightning DS V2.0 to enable this function).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18334[/ATTACH]

I have a feeling that I misinterpreted the way the software notes use the present tense "now". Yep, I've used the playlist function separately for both Tidal and my own library.

Well, it's May now and Munich is right around the corner. Bring on 2.0.

Do you not receive tags such as "ArtistSort" and "AlbumSort"?

Certainly when I browse the folder view they are in my desired order as per the Artist Sort tags I painstakingly created.

In MinimServer I have tagOptions set as all.ignore.sort={The,A,Les} so that when I browse the tree they are in the "correct" place, order.

Eloise

Eloise, did you ever get this sorting to work with LDS / MinimServer? I've seen Wang Xuanqian's feedback, which I'm puzzled with as a user (as I believe are you). I've just recently learned about the tagging in MinimServer and its possibly potential to bypass the stubbornness of Auralic (in my opinion).

anyways, I'd be interested to learn you most recent insights of how LDS could be improved for user experience for Artist/ Album sorting.

regards, M

Auralic Aries - Antelope Zodiac Gold/Voltikus - Crystal Reference Diamond - Pathos TT - Crystal micro - Rogers LS3/5a

Eloise, did you ever get this sorting to work with LDS / MinimServer? I've seen Wang Xuanqian's feedback, which I'm puzzled with as a user (as I believe are you). I've just recently learned about the tagging in MinimServer and its possibly potential to bypass the stubbornness of Auralic (in my opinion).

anyways, I'd be interested to learn you most recent insights of how LDS could be improved for user experience for Artist/ Album sorting.

regards, M

As far as I can see, there is no improvement over sorting in LDS.

It's my personal preference and I'm not suggesting others should feel the same, but in an A-Z list Aerosmith should not come just before Alanis Morissette and Alma Cogan. I've tagged my files with a sorting order so LDS should follow that order.

For now this means LDS is of no interest (though not using an Aeries as I settled on Naim integrated player).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I apologize if I missed this in the previous 900 comments, but is Miminserver the only DLNA server that allows for Library view? My NAS isn't compatible with Minimserver (nas4free running minidlna) and all I can see is Folder view.

I set up minimserver on my laptop, and from there I see Library view like I expect to, but this is not a long-term solution.

Ric - The short answer is that Minimserver is not the music server that allows for "library" view in the Lightning DS application. It just happens to be what quite a few people are using in conjunction with the Aries. Just curious if you have the same problem when trying a different control point such as Linn Kazoo or Kinsky, or the Lumin application?

Unfortunately I don't know enough about NAS4Free to offer suggestions on other music servers to try, perhaps BubbleUPnP server?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Barr, BubbUPnP server, despite the name, is not a music server, it is an add-on to a UPnP media server, adding things like transcoding options, security and OpenHome capabilities.

Ted - you're right and I should have known better, for some reason I temporarily took leave of my senses, thanks for catching the error. Perhaps Plex Media Server?

Ted - you're right and I should have known better, for some reason I temporarily took leave of my senses, thanks for catching the error. Perhaps Plex Media Server?

Yes, you took leave of your senses Barr!! What the hell!!!! :) JK

No, no big deal. It's s silly name for being not a server, but that's the only thing silly about it...very cool add-on. Like Synology's own Media Server (DSD capable) let's assume his NAS has a home-brewed media server.

bplexico - it behaves the same with other control points as well. It's fully the fault of my NAS's UPnP software, I assume. I'm a little bit surprised that it doesn't support the tags in a way they understand, it's great NAS software otherwise.

There doesn't seem to be a Linux equivalent to nas4free or freenas that would run minimserver either, other than a full install of Linux. What a pain.

ted_b, yes, I started with Fuppes (the default). It was much worse; still only allowed file view, and didn't display FLAC files at all (only mp3), and it kept crashing and requiring me to manually delete the database so it would rebuild. Switching to minidlna was not very straightforward but it at least got me so I could listen to the Aries at all.

Barr, BubbUPnP server, despite the name, is not a music server, it is an add-on to a UPnP media server, adding things like transcoding options, security and OpenHome capabilities.
May be it should be referred to as a UPnP helper server/application to distinguish it from a UPnP AV media server. It also doesn't help that it shares the same name as the BubbleUPnP Android app, which can be used as a UPnP media server.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox