IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

bplexico - it behaves the same with other control points as well. It's fully the fault of my NAS's UPnP software, I assume. I'm a little bit surprised that it doesn't support the tags in a way they understand, it's great NAS software otherwise.

There doesn't seem to be a Linux equivalent to nas4free or freenas that would run minimserver either, other than a full install of Linux. What a pain.

Hi Ric,

It's probably more to do with miniDLNA's support of UPnP Search, rather than anything to do with its actual handling of the music file tags. I believe UPnP control points that cache the music file metadata in order to produce their own views of the music library, obtain the required data from the UPnP media server by using UPnP Search functions. Do you know if the version of miniDLNA you are using even supports UPnP Search?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi John,

I can't say for sure, there's not a lot of documentation on minidlna that I can find describing its feature set. I installed version 4 (which I assume means 1.1.4). It does allow for a web interface which seems to let me search for various tags, but that might be completely different functionality.

Does anyone know how Roon will be integrated into Lightning DS and/or the Aries?

See:

Computer Audiophile - Roon From Roon Labs - A Video Run-through

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

Does anyone know how Roon will be integrated into Lightning DS and/or the Aries?

See:

Computer Audiophile - Roon From Roon Labs - A Video Run-through

Yes I do, and I think folks will really be happy about it.

This thread on the Roon Community has some details.

And more details from Danny of Roon here. And here.

Quick summary. It will be integrated into the Aries as a service, much like Airplay or Songcast.

You will be able to use a Mac or PC or tablet (Android or iOS) as a remote to control playback to the Aries.

You would thus use the Roon software to browse your music collection ( both local and also Tidal if you are using it ).

You then choose to make playlists, have queues, play tracks or albums within the Roon application. Assuming you have the Aries selected as your Zone (output device) all music will playback through your Aries and DAC.

You do need one computer to function as the Roon server (Core) and then you can add as many "remotes"/clients as you want on other Macs, PCs, iPads, etc... The computer running Roon (Core) will need to be powered on. But you can have it looked away somewhere if you so desire.

So you would use the Roon software in lieu of Lightning DS.

I am personally pretty excited about the development. The folks at Auralic have been great at extending their feature set over time.

Barr

RoonAriesOneDay.jpg

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Today I visited AURLiC at the HighEnd in Munich. I have seen two new things: the Aries mini and the new Lightning DS 2.0 prototype. Actually I expected that we will get the 2.0 version now. But i have been told that it will become available in June. From what I have seen it makes sense to wait a few weeks. To be honest I was a little bit disappointed. The new search will be cool. It will cover the library, streaming and radio. There will be many more categories, e.g. data rate, last changed, first added, ... But I have not seen a way to map network drives for the library. Look and fell is still the same.

@Kai-Uwe - Last I checked the feature of mapping a network drive via SMB was still planned. I think the capability just needs to be exposed in the Lightning DS application.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

@Kai-Uwe - Last I checked the feature of mapping a network drive via SMB was still planned. I think the capability just needs to be exposed in the Lightning DS application.

Barr

You are right, but I have expected to see this in the 2.0 version. They have a new, kind of library wizard in LDS. Maybe I did not see it because they had no SMB server or it was not yet added. Anyway we have to wait one month and see what is included.

Yes I do, and I think folks will really be happy about it.

This thread on the Roon Community has some details.

And more details from Danny of Roon here. And here.

Quick summary. It will be integrated into the Aries as a service, much like Airplay or Songcast.

You will be able to use a Mac or PC or tablet (Android or iOS) as a remote to control playback to the Aries.

You would thus use the Roon software to browse your music collection ( both local and also Tidal if you are using it ).

You then choose to make playlists, have queues, play tracks or albums within the Roon application. Assuming you have the Aries selected as your Zone (output device) all music will playback through your Aries and DAC.

You do need one computer to function as the Roon server (Core) and then you can add as many "remotes"/clients as you want on other Macs, PCs, iPads, etc... The computer running Roon (Core) will need to be powered on. But you can have it looked away somewhere if you so desire.

So you would use the Roon software in lieu of Lightning DS.

I am personally pretty excited about the development. The folks at Auralic have been great at extending their feature set over time.

Barr

Thanks Barr. Very helpful. I was wondering if we would use Roon in lieu of Lightning DS.

Main Room: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC > Mark Levinson No. 532H Amp > Thiel Audio CS 2.4 Loudspeakers

Bedroom: Synology DS116 NAS > Intel NUC7i7BNH Mini PC (Roon Core) > Chord 2Go/Hugo 2 (fixed line level) > McIntosh MHA200 Headphone Amp > Audeze LCD-X (2021) or Focal OG Clear or JH Audio Roxanne IEM

@vlomdmdiv - I think using Roon as opposed to the Lightning DS application will make for a great experience for those of us who like to browse and noodle around our music collection, and perhaps "re discover" music that is sitting in our collection but gets lost in with all the other music at one's fingertips. Plus the integration with Tidal is wonderful.

I am not dissing the Lightning DS application by any means, merely Roon is a very, very interesting alternative to any other interface I have used, be it JRIVER, iTunes, Linn Kazoo, A+, et al.

Thanks Barr for your reply. I am currently in my trial period with Roon and it is a very nice experience. I did notice that my DSD files weren't included when I added my NAS music files to Roon. Are DSD files supposed to be added to Roon, or will that be a feature in a later version I am wondering? Also, I am having a bit of a struggle with the Roon pricing structure. The pricing seems a bit steep for what you get, but I could be wrong. What are your feelings about the pricing, if you care to share?

@vlomdmdiv - I think using Roon as opposed to the Lightning DS application will make for a great experience for those of us who like to browse and noodle around our music collection, and perhaps "re discover" music that is sitting in our collection but gets lost in with all the other music at one's fingertips. Plus the integration with Tidal is wonderful.

I am not dissing the Lightning DS application by any means, merely Roon is a very, very interesting alternative to any other interface I have used, be it JRIVER, iTunes, Linn Kazoo, A+, et al.

Hello vlomdmdiv - DSD support is not yet available in Roon, they report they are working on this and to plan to add support for DSD to Roon.

My library as well as quite a bit of DSD content, thus I am looking forward to that support being added.

As to pricing, it is more money than I would prefer to spend. I do understand they have ongoing costs for development and do have to pay other partners for services they leverage.

If all I wanted was music playback software and a means to manage my library of files, than yes the pricing is steep, however my point of view at this time, is that it is the full "experience" that Roon offers that is worthwhile to myself, be it the rich meta data, or the various ways one can re-discover parts of ones collection. Plus if you are a Tidal user, then it's integration is practically worth the price of admission ( though of course Tidal is a separate subscription).

I don't have the need right now to be able to playback music on end points through out my house, but that too is a great feature.

Bottomline, I am a music lover, and for me the "Roon experience" is worth a lifetime subscription. I am able to rationalize the cost to myself. Plus I keep finding out more and more about the application as I continue to play around with it.

Probably the best thing to do is enjoy the Trial, and if at that point it doesn't quite seem worth it to you, than wait a while and see if you miss it. Also as you have an Aries, you probably aren't getting the full experience right now, unless you have some other system/DAC you can leverage with Roon.

What I would see was an embedded version.

I hate the idea of having to use a computer to host the Roon Server.

That was my main point with buying the Aries, so I am afraid it is a deal breaker for me.

Bummer......

Roon Labs suggest there would be no where near the power needed in the Aries to run the "core" needed.

The ideal would be a "core" server with storage which would replace the NAS.

The idea of the Aries is to remove the computer connecting to a DAC, which Roon will still do!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Roon Labs suggest there would be no where near the power needed in the Aries to run the "core" needed.

I read this as 'Roon Labs suggest there would be no where near the power needed in the Aries to run the "core" needed, while at the same time run its things inclusive of the LDS interface' ?

I had a hope that the upcoming Roon control point app could run those tasks.

It might not be capable of it, but I don't think the Roon core design is sustainable in the near future. The idea with an (embedded) PC with convection cooling/no fan with storage capabilities (or NAS) sounds intriguing, though.

Would this do, I wonder: CuBox-i 4x4 - SolidRun.com

@distinctive - well Roon has the concept of a core (server) and any additional installs of Roon are remotes. Similar to a control point but no UpNP support.

So if you controlled your music playback for the Aries on a Mac or PC you would just install Roon (core) on that device and you would be all set. They do believe that over time as tablets get more powerful you could run Roon (core) on a tablet.

To your point if the could install this on a suitably equipped NAS that would be ideal.

Greetings everybody since I just joined this interesting community. Also new with the Auralic Aeries, I had no problems connecting with InternetRadio and Tidal. Connecting with my Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 is so-so. Only a fraction om my content is displayed in the Lightning DS and none of my high-res files. Image content seems to work fine, but I cant figure out why only one, or two, tracks from an album are available..

Does anybody have a clue to what I should do to see all of my content?

Many thanks and greeting from an unusually cold month of May in Sweden (not far from Stockholm)

@luspa - welcome!

What format(s) are you music files in? FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ACC, DSD, DSF, etc....?

In regards to the High Resolution tracks - do some of these include purchases from HDTracks, Qobuz, etc?

Are all your music files located under one folder on your NAS?

i.e. a folder called "Music" which may have many folders underneath.

Thank you "bplexico" for quick respons. Most files are ripped AIFF and AAC from iTunes Store. High-res files downloaded from HD Tracks and converted withg Max to iTunes. All high-res downloads are stored in their original format in a separet file. All files ar stored in a folder on NAS with a proprietary name, with "Music" as a sub-folder.

@lupsa - so all the music files are on your NAS and are stored under a folder called "Music". All the files are in AIFF or AAC format.

What are you using as a music server on your NAS?

When you browse the Lightning DS application using FOLDER view do you see all your folders and files?

Ok, I would suggest sending an email to Auralic (support @ auralic . com ).

Describe the problem, they will probably ask for a copy of one of the files that is not showing up.