IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Ok, I would suggest sending an email to Auralic (support @ auralic . com ).

Describe the problem, they will probably ask for a copy of one of the files that is not showing up.

Thank you, bplexico, I will do just that ;)

And to Darock's post assuming you have a Mac then install Linn Kazoo - it should see both your Aries and your music server (Minim server). It would help diagnose if there is an issue with Lightning DS if you saw all the files when using the Kazoo application ( which also runs on PCs).

Or try the Lumin application on your iPad, iPhone it too should see both the Aries and your music library.

Or Linn Kinsky on your iPad/iPhone.

Any of these can work as an alternative to the Lightning DS software and help trouble shoot the issue.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I just tried Linn Kazoo and even if I have not compared every track/album/artist, the result is pretty much identical to what I see in Lightning DS. It seems as if the problem is located in the NAS...

I should have thought of this earlier once I knew you were using Minimserver. So first, good that you checked with Kazoo, that does narrow the issue down.

I assume you have Minimwatch installed on your PC/Mac?

Using Minimwatch you want to view your log file, that will indicate any errors it might have in reading your music files, some errors will be benign and just warnings, others will be more serious. Take a look in there and perhaps let a know of some of the items reported there?

In the ideal world there should be nothing in your log save indications of Minimserver starting. I suspect you have much much more in there.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Finally the Android app is here (v1.0)!

Follow link to download apk: http://t.co/26l3ezAjfy (From Auaralic official twitter page)

=)

Minim server,Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit),Auralic Vega, Auralic Aries,Krell Kav-280p, Krell Kav-2250, B&W 802d, Nordost SPM XLR, Nordost Red Dawn XLR, Purist Audio Design Vesta, Wireworld electra 7, 2x2m +1x1m, Harmony Logitech oneKinsky -"folder-view setting" (Lightning DS -just for setup)

I recently bought an Aries and would like some help on Lightning not displaying art work for some albums. I'm using MinimServer 0.8.3 update 65 and MinimStreamer 0.5.12.

Prior to the Aries I was using iTunes to rip and manage my music. I used Doug's Scripts to save artwork to the album folder using the following convention "album artist - album name.jpg". All of the album artwork appears on Lightning except for a few albums.

Interestingly, the albums with missing artwork are ones ripped from iTunes after I started using MinimServer.

My current setup is:

MinimServer running on a QNAP TS-215 (4.1.3)

MinimWatch running on an MBP running 10.10.3

Aries updated to 2.5

Lightning DS app version 1.8

I have rescanned MinimServer and refreshed the cache on Lightning.

I've also restarted the NAS, deleted and refreshed the Lightning cache.

Neither step worked.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

Prior to the Aries I was using iTunes to rip and manage my music. I used Doug's Scripts to save artwork to the album folder using the following convention "album artist - album name.jpg". All of the album artwork appears on Lightning except for a few albums.

Interestingly, the albums with missing artwork are ones ripped from iTunes after I started using MinimServer.

Very likely artwork wasn't saved properly to the files themselves. Confirm by viewing the files in a tagging tool, like Yate for Mac, for example.

iTunes doesn't embed artwork in the files. Better to use another ripper that will do this automatically. I feel dbPoweramp is worth the cost.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

kennyb123,

Thx for the quick reply. I embedded the artwork to the files...didn't work. Deleted the embedded art from the files and re-embedded. Still didn't work. (All of my other artwork is embedded with the files using iTunes as well.) Strange that this is happening only to the files ripped after installing and using MinimServer.

I'll confirm using Yate. As for ripping software, I was going to explore other ripping software and re-rip all of my music over time. Would like to avoid having to re-embed art so perhaps I should select the ripping software sooner rather than later. Thx.

QNAP TS-251-->Netgear GS116 Switch--->Asus router--->wireless to Aurelic Aries--->USB to NAD M51--->Bryston B135--->Thiel CS 2.7 speakers

As mentioned previously using Yate - you can choose to add missing artwork in the albums/file missing artwork.

Or the longer method is go to google, search for the artwork, download the file and save it in the same folder as the rest of the music files with a filename of "folder.jpg". You would have to do that for each album missing artwork.

Another popular tool for ripping CDs on the Mac is XLD.

Out of curiosity, what file format are the albums with missing artwork, ie. AIFF, WAV, FLAC...

I'm looking for some clarity regarding some DS features that I find a bit confusing, or perhaps I am just wishful that the app could do some things that it currently doesn't. I do realise that sometime in the very near future we will see V2.0, but it isn't here yet, so here goes.

In Library mode, if you select an album, the window appears highlighting the album cover, info, tracklist, etc. It also offers us the little "+" symbol, allowing us to add to a collection, queue, or playlist. It is the "collection" option I am thinking about.

If you do the same task in the Tidal library, instead of "collection" it offers you the option of "favourite". So if we're cool with that, here's what I want to do but can't, so it seems:

I would love to be able to create multiple "collections", not just of tracks, but of albums, with titles such as "MFSL Reissues", or "Favorite Blue Note Albums", or "Awesome Boy Band Classic Albums". You get the picture, minus the last one. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between "collection" and "favourite". And there's no option to create more than one. This has bummed me out for a long time now. Anyone have knowledge of an option I am missing, OR, if this might be a feature added to V2?

Thanks in advance!

As mentioned previously using Yate - you can choose to add missing artwork in the albums/file missing artwork.

Or the longer method is go to google, search for the artwork, download the file and save it in the same folder as the rest of the music files with a filename of "folder.jpg". You would have to do that for each album missing artwork.

Another popular tool for ripping CDs on the Mac is XLD.

Out of curiosity, what file format are the albums with missing artwork, ie. AIFF, WAV, FLAC...

bplexico,

Thx for the suggestion on renaming the file to "folder.jpg". I did that for one album and it worked. Would rather not do that for others (only 6 didn't work...all ripped after using MinimServer) so that the art file names are consistent.

I'll try XLD.

File format for my entire library is Apple Lossless.

I use the "belts and suspenders" method: file saved within each album's folder and artwork manually embedded in each track using iTunes.

Very likely artwork wasn't saved properly to the files themselves. Confirm by viewing the files in a tagging tool, like Yate for Mac, for example.

iTunes doesn't embed artwork in the files. Better to use another ripper that will do this automatically. I feel dbPoweramp is worth the cost.

Have to agree with the use of both dBPoweramp and Yate...Yate especially...best, wdw

There's been some mention of SMB support for the Aries/Lightening, but I can't find much information. Is that still in the works?

Yes still in works - I can verify it works for network drives on a NAS. This feature is supposed to become available with the 2.0 release of the Lightning DS application.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Android version os DS over the weekend..

I have it installed on my phone and my tablet, both from Samsung. I find accessing the settings menu next to the 'Music Library' drop-down a bit awkward. It looks like it rolls off the left side of the screen. I think this may be common to the Android version from what another told me. Anyone else using it have this problem?

Yes still in works - I can verify it works for network drives on a NAS. This feature is supposed to become available with the 2.0 release of the Lightning DS application.

Can't wait :)

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

If you plan on re-ripping it's XLD for Mac and DBpoweramp for PC.

kennyb123,

Thx for the quick reply. I embedded the artwork to the files...didn't work. Deleted the embedded art from the files and re-embedded. Still didn't work. (All of my other artwork is embedded with the files using iTunes as well.) Strange that this is happening only to the files ripped after installing and using MinimServer.

I'll confirm using Yate. As for ripping software, I was going to explore other ripping software and re-rip all of my music over time. Would like to avoid having to re-embed art so perhaps I should select the ripping software sooner rather than later. Thx.

If you plan on re-ripping it's XLD for Mac and DBpoweramp for PC.

There is a Mac version of dbPoweramp, which I prefer to XLD.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

bplexico,

Thx for the suggestion on renaming the file to "folder.jpg". I did that for one album and it worked. Would rather not do that for others (only 6 didn't work...all ripped after using MinimServer) so that the art file names are consistent.

I'll try XLD.

File format for my entire library is Apple Lossless.

I use the "belts and suspenders" method: file saved within each album's folder and artwork manually embedded in each track using iTunes.

Did you perform a re scan using Minimwatch?

Launch Minimwatch and choose the re-scan option.