IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

The problem has been found...they're working on it.

Great! Auralic is really one of the best companies in the hi-fi world right now, and i can't imagine my listening room without Aries.

Main system: iMac A+ -> LH Lightspeed USB -> Schiit Yggy DAC -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XP20 Preamp -> Nordost TYR XLR IC -> Pass Labs XA60.5 Mono Amps -> MIT ACT MA SC -> Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy 8

Second desktop system: iMac A+ / TIDAL -> LH Lightspeed USB -> LH Labs Geek Pulse Infinity -> Nordost TYR RCA IC -> Firstwatt J2 -> MIT AVT2 SC -> Omega Super 7 mini

In my case, it also does not see the network share, i.e. "smb://nas1/stereo" although that is the share name in Roon, for example.

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

I had problems with the new LDS continually crashing upon initial startup. I solved the problem by terminating the Lumin application, which I also had running. I btw also have have the blank browsing screen problem even though I'm only using IOS rev. 8.1.3 on my iPad Air.

This is an iOS compatibility problem. We submit at 27th when there is no iOS8.4....

Any one whom is effected, please send me the UUID of your device, I will send a temporally version through email.

Just removed the 2.0 from App store and requested another review...

Done!

Thought to post the release notes here of v2.0 :-)

[h=1]Current Version (2.0)[/h]About This Release:

• 29th June 2015
  • Please do NOT update to this version if you do not own AURALiC Lightning device, such as ARIES. Due to new structure, we are TEMPORARILY not able to support 3rd party media renderer at right moment. We will try to get the 3rd party OpenHome device support back within about two versions.
  • The Version 2.0 is using a complete design, it will erase all user saved radio, playlist on your iPad. Please make sure you made a backup before update to this version.

What's New in This Version:

• New software structure, browsing library is much faster compare to previous version.
  • New step-by-step setup guide for Lightning device and music library.
  • New advanced search function allows you to search local library, streaming content and radio station at same time. (Searching function is a little bit slow on old iPad, improvement in progress now and will roll out in V2.1)
  • New vTuner Internet Radio integration.
  • New Portrait View in Library, Collection and Streaming (when view content by album). Just route your iPad and enjoy the new beautiful view.
  • Fully integration with Lightning Server, playback both through USB and network shared folder. No need for 3rd party UPnP/DLNA server any more (which means no compatibility problem any more).
  • New error popup message (from both Lightning device and Lightning server), the explanation of the error is directly linked to AURALiC support centre with diagnostic information.
  • No need for refresh library cache if you use Lightning Server. Lightning DS can handle it at background.
  • You can sort library by Last Import Date, Last Modify Date, Sampling Rate, File Type if you are using Lightning Server. (Sorting function is a little bit slow on old iPad, improvement in progress now and will roll out in V2.1)
  • You can view full screen album cover now.
  • You can mix local library and streaming tracks in queue and it is totally gapless.
  • You can add all tracks to playlist or queue in a certain folder now.
  • No worry about IP address change of Lightning device and media server anymore. Lightning DS will detect IP address change of related device then update library and playlist information automatically.
  • Other user interface improvement.

Known Issues:

• Because of poor CPU performance and weak WiFi signal, running Lightning DS on iPad 2 (not iPad Air 2) and iPad mini (1st generation) may be slow especially when you try to use filter function (arrange album by artist, composer and etc). Improvement is in progress and will be available in V2.1.
  • Search function may not work on iPad 2 and iPad mini when music library is very big (more than 50,000 songs). Improvement is in progress and will be available in V2.1
  • There will be a delay when switching between library Grid View and List View and no loading symbol on screen at right moment. Fixed in V2.1.
  • Album track number and duration info can not be returned under Folder view. We are bring track number back in V2.1 but total duration is not possible at right moment.
  • There is no track/album cover in user's streaming playlist. Fixed in V2.1.
  • The content of user's guide section is still in progress, the English and Chinese versions will be complete by middle July with other German to be done by the end of July.

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V

• Fully integration with Lightning Server, playback both through USB and network shared folder. No need for 3rd party UPnP/DLNA server any more (which means no compatibility problem any more).

Does this mean there's a version of the Lightning Server planned to be installed on some NASs or other networked devices, ie, not on the Aries itself?

My worry would be the impact of the Lightning Server UPnP/DLNA media server running on the Aries taking up resources and any possible impact of that on sound quality.

Does anyone know if the Lightning Server can be switched off, if you choose to use an external UPnP/DLNA media server?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Have to laugh,Auralic send out a software update which is broken and people here comment what a wonderful company lol they blame apple for there software update but others are reporting same problems without updating to new apple update which was a security update as far as i'm aware,this thread has become a place for fanboys to hang out.

This is an iOS compatibility problem. We submit at 27th when there is no iOS8.4....

Any one whom is effected, please send me the UUID of your device, I will send a temporally version through email.

Just removed the 2.0 from App store and requested another review...

How do I find the UUID for my device?

Yesterday I excitedly updated my DS and it was working. This morning I learn that the new version was pulled, and now my DS app on my iPad is "grayed out". It thinks it needs to update but can't. And as far as I can tell, at the moment auralic has not put the previous version back up on the App Store. I'm stuck with nothing. A third party app will have to do perhaps.

Frustrating.

How do I find the UUID for my device?

Yesterday I excitedly updated my DS and it was working. This morning I learn that the new version was pulled, and now my DS app on my iPad is "grayed out". It thinks it needs to update but can't. And as far as I can tell, at the moment auralic has not put the previous version back up on the App Store. I'm stuck with nothing. A third party app will have to do perhaps.

Frustrating.

Connect to iTunes is the easiest way. Then select the mobile device icon and click on the SN. Right click the UDID and then copy and paste into the email.

UDID.png

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hi, guys:

We've got some update here. The software engineer works here on weekend and find out the problem. I dont want to explain much as it is our fault not fully test the binary before submit but this is a little bit out of our control. The problem is related to Apple's complier as you can see some of the user's can use the version without any problem (some of our development iPad works too...). We have submitted a fixed version and requested a expedite update. I know they do not proceed expedite update during weekend (especially during this weekend) but let's see how long it takes.

For customer whom has already update to 2.0, we have limited license quote to send you a new version with out iPad's UUID embedded. Again, we only have limited quote for this. If you have already updated to 2.0, you will be able to roll back to 1.8 by delete the App and install it again by find the 1.8 in 'Purchased' catalog in your App Store.

Again, we apologize for the problem we have created during this weekend.

One thing that bugging me when I play album in folder view album artwork in upper left corner is not displayed and also when I click there to open album view screen there is no artwork, but when I play same album in library view artwork is displayed in both upper left corner and album view screen. Why is that so? will these be corrected in new LDS version ?

Yes, that's working here on 2.0.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

It's sad that the new LDS release is hit by problems. It looks very good to me and I think that I'll use the Lumin app much less frequently. After having used LDS v2 for about an hour or so it also seems much more stable. Apart from really disliking me trying to mount a read-only SMB share in the Aries built-in media server, LDS hasn't crashed or frozen yet.

Like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19553[/ATTACH]

I never use anything but library view.

Jason, do you think there's hope to salvage the Folder view from Auralic's plans to discontinue it? Like you, I use the library view but I have some folders that I like to go to from time to time, e.g., I have a folder for MA Recordings, a folder for Soundkeeper Recordings, etc. As I see it, there's no special updated features needed to use the folder view as is.

Also, how does Auralic plan to integrate with Roon without moving to developing ASIO capability for the Vega and the ARIES? ASIO capability would be very nice to have, particularly given the ASIO DACs(like the exasound line) that are currently non-compatible with the ARIES.

Jason, do you think there's hope to salvage the Folder view from Auralic's plans to discontinue it? Like you, I use the library view but I have some folders that I like to go to from time to time, e.g., I have a folder for MA Recordings, a folder for Soundkeeper Recordings, etc. As I see it, there's no special updated features needed to use the folder view as is.

Also, how does Auralic plan to integrate with Roon without moving to developing ASIO capability for the Vega and the ARIES? ASIO capability would be very nice to have, particularly given the ASIO DACs(like the exasound line) that are currently non-compatible with the ARIES.

I honestly have no idea. Those are questions for Xuanqian. Sorry I'm not much of help.

Have to laugh,Auralic send out a software update which is broken and people here comment what a wonderful company lol they blame apple for there software update but others are reporting same problems without updating to new apple update which was a security update as far as i'm aware,this thread has become a place for fanboys to hang out.

Nope, no fanboy here... I'm looking at an upgrade for my Macbook with A+ 1.5.12. So, I follow several threads here, to learn about software / hardware solutions and (development) support. So far, I found Damien (Audirvana) to be really responsive. However, he's having hard times to cope with all different environments (the local context of an Apple deivce running A+ and all kind of network and storage solutions). Auralic with LDS 2.0 / Lightning server is beyond all 'Mac' solutions (wether A+, Amarra, ...). And the support is responsive and adequate. And do not know any other company that 1) offers apoligies and 2) offers a temporary solution to help owners of Aries through the weekend. Of course, they'd hoped for a smoother launch. But don't forget: they don't had to upgrade their software with improved and new functionality for FREE! Auralic decided to do so, and I feel that current owners of Aries should be grateful for that and have a little patience. Auralic really is a great company...!

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V