IGNORED

Auralic Lightning DS App (Software) - Impressions and Information

Android vs Apple app.

How is the Android app?

I am contemplating buying than Aries LE. However I do not want to spend lost of money on an Apple tablet. Currently I do not own any tablets. I have been looking at Apple tablets but the mini is very small and the Air is very expensive.

So that leaves Android tablets. But is the android app any good?

[br]

Android vs Apple app.

How is the Android app?

I am contemplating buying than Aries LE. However I do not want to spend lost of money on an Apple tablet. Currently I do not own any tablets. I have been looking at Apple tablets but the mini is very small and the Air is very expensive.

The current Android app seems to be for Android phones only and will not load on my Android tablet (Samsung Nexus 10). Tablet support is planned for future release. I ended up buying an iPad Mini.

AURALiC Aries LE -> Bryston BDA-2 -> BHA-1 -> Audeze LCD-2F or MrSpeakers Alpha Dog

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Bel Canto e.One DAC3 -> Sennheiser HDVA 600 -> HD 800 or HD 650

AURALiC Aries Mini -> Audeze Deckard -> Audeze LCD-2.2 or Oppo PM-1 or beyerdynamic K702

Android vs Apple app.

How is the Android app?

The Android app does not run on tablets. You can use BubbleUPnP on tablets. It is an outstanding control point. It will give some, but not all, of the cloud services Aries supports. In addition, it is very good at working with your local music library or with discs attached to Aries by USB.

HTH

The Android app does not run on tablets. You can use BubbleUPnP on tablets.

I have it running on my Samsung Tab S 8.4. It works as good as on my phone. But it's not as refined as BubbleUnP LDS at this stage IMO. However, LDS allows you to access internet radio, I haven't seen that function in Bubble, at least in the free version.

I have it running on my Samsung Tab S 8.4. It works as good as on my phone. But it's not as refined as BubbleUnP LDS at this stage IMO. However, LDS allows you to access internet radio, I haven't seen that function in Bubble, at least in the free version.

Depending on your UPnP server you may be able to set up radio station "play lists" for access via BubbleUPnP DS.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I understand version 2 of the Lightning DS application is coming soon... Will it support user defined sorting order for artists and albums?

It's really frustrating that The Carpenters are sorted under "T" yet to find Karen Carpenter's solo album I need to look under "K". Neither makes sense to me! The two entries should be next to each other under "C".

So please, please, please follow "AlbumSort"; "ArtistSort"; "AlbumArtistSort" rather than strict A-Z

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I understand version 2 of the Lightning DS application is coming soon... Will it support user defined sorting order for artists and albums?

It's really frustrating that The Carpenters are sorted under "T" yet to find Karen Carpenter's solo album I need to look under "K". Neither makes sense to me! The two entries should be next to each other under "C".

So please, please, please follow "AlbumSort"; "ArtistSort"; "AlbumArtistSort" rather than strict A-Z

The Carpenters show up under "C" for me. I use Miminserver and set a rule for handling "The".

That being said, have you sent in your request to Auralic support? They are very responsive.

Or are your referring to a capability you want to see in the Lightning Server software itself?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

The Carpenters show up under "C" for me. I use Miminserver and set a rule for handling "The".

Is that with the displayed name as "The Carpenters" or "Carpenters, The"? And are you using the library mode or folder mode of the Lightning DS software?

I also use Minimserver.

Eloise

---

Eloise - I need to check at home what the display name is. I am using Library Mode. I am also as I mentioned setting properties in Minimserver to ignore the article "The". Will post that too.

BTW, to your point of "The Carpenters" vs "Carpenters, The" that also varies with which control point is used. Minimserver has the capability to do the "right" thing, and I think in this case the Lightning DS software is not doing the "right" thing.

I spent a lot of time messing around with those tags and then comparing them in different control points. Much too much time in fact.

In Roon I don't have this problem at all, I can just type /carpent and get taken right to "The Carpenters". And they do show up properly under "C", in fact the only group with the article "The" that shows up under "T" in Roon that I have in my collection is "The The".

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Eloise - I need to check at home what the display name is. I am using Library Mode. I am also as I mentioned setting properties in Minimserver to ignore the article "The". Will post that too.

BTW, to your point of "The Carpenters" vs "Carpenters, The" that also varies with which control point is used. Minimserver has the capability to do the "right" thing, and I think in this case the Lightning DS software is not doing the "right" thing.

I spent a lot of time messing around with those tags and then comparing them in different control points. Much too much time in fact.

In Roon I don't have this problem at all, I can just type /carpent and get taken right to "The Carpenters". And they do show up properly under "C", in fact the only group with the article "The" that shows up under "T" in Roon that I have in my collection is "The The".

With my setup, every control point which follows server sorting orders as Carpenters, The and Carpenter, Karen (to use the example stated) while displaying The Carpenters and Karen Carpenter. With Lightning DS in Library mode (and Lumin for that matter) hey are both displayed and sorted as The Carpenters and Karen Carpenter (so the first with The Beatles and The Beach Boys, etc).

Eloise

---

@Audio_elf (Eloise)

In Lightning DS they show up under "C" as "Carpenters, The".

Same in other control apps such as Lumin. But my memory is refreshed, I can change this to display as "The Carpenters" under other control points by a change in my Minimserver settings but this than makes the Lightning DS not display it properly ( don't recall details at the moment).

This is how I have tagOptions set in Minimserver:

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.*={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.*={The}

But to your point, yes to get it to both show up under C and display with "The Carpenters" is something that can be done with Minimserver but does not work properly with the Lightning DS application ( but works fine with other control points).

@Audio_elf (Eloise)

In Lightning DS they show up under "C" as "Carpenters, The".

That's sounds like it's as I thought - you can't have The Carpenters displayed but sorted as Carpenters, The.

It maybe that it's just impossible with UPnP unless you are using a "folder" view.

At the end of the day I just use Kazoo which (to my mind) works better in folder mode was just wondering if it's something Auralic can and will address as it's an annoyance to me that things don't sort the way *I* want them to...

Eloise

---

Well you may have missed it above, but Minimserver can in fact do what you want, you just cannot get it to do it that way with the Lightning DS application, with other controls points it will in fact display as you desire if you tune the ignore tag.

I think this is the tag that will work properly with other control points ( I don't think I tested it with Kazoo )

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.index.sort={The}

Well you may have missed it above, but Minimserver can in fact do what you want, you just cannot get it to do it that way with the Lightning DS application, with other controls points it will in fact display as you desire if you tune the ignore tag.

I think this is the tag that will work properly with other control points ( I don't think I tested it with Kazoo )

Album.sortTags={Album, Artist}, Artist.ignore.sort={The}, AlbumArtist.ignore.index.sort={The}

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear yes I know Minimserver does that (it does it for me)... Just as you say not with Lightning DS (nor Lumin).

Eloise

---

HELP....

I just got my Aries.

I am sorry, but I already have few questions (sorry sorry if the answers are already in the past 1000 posts) :

- Is there somewhere a "real" manual ? The quick start guide is quite useless to me ! same for the "help" available from Lightning DS !

- Since I intend to only use a USB HS for my music library, do I still need a "streaming Server" ? ( I use USB HD just to avoid servers, DNA....)

- I downloaded Lightining DS on my iPAD and I get Version 1.8 ! I thought we were at version 2.0 now ??

thanks a lot in advance for your help

Aries start.jpg

NoDevice.JPG

On my phone and in a rush so I'll be brief.

When Aries shows the wifi symbol, first go to iPad Wifi settings page. You should see the Aries as a network. I think I'm right on that. Start there.

DS 2.0 coming out sometime this month but not yet

THANKS,

NOW my ARIES is reconized.... I can carry on investigating the rest...(ALL NIGHT LONG I SUSPECT )...

Current version for iPad is 1.8

The Aries has a built in server, so it will work fine with a USB HD. Nothing special you need to do.

Go to Auralic website.

Choose Audiophile Design and Creation.

Click on Auralic Aires.

Scroll down - those are all the documents.

Current version for iPad is 1.8

The Aries has a built in server, so it will work fine with a USB HD. Nothing special you need to do....

It works indeed. Thanks.

Now, I already have few BUGs reports. I will be interested to know if you have the same:

- Sometime, the music is playing, but the scrolling mark stay on the 1st second and do not move. So it show 0:00 while in fact it's progressing in the track

IMG_1401.JPG

- Sometime, in Folder mode, when I am in a folder, I can't come back to the list of folder. < do not work.

IMG_1400.JPG

- VERY Often, the device gets lost and it display "no device" (The iPad is 10 feets from the ARIES, which is 10 feets from the Wifi router) during few seconds, and...then the device comes back !??

Am i alone ?

@bmicels -

So does the track progress ( scrolling ) never catch up to where it is in the track?

I have the same issue with trying to navigate back in folder view at times.

Device getting list sounds like a network issue. WIFI connection or ethernet? If WIFI I can offer a few suggestions.

Mmm, have these bugs been reported to Auralic? These kind of bugs should be solved in V2. Connection loss problems are hard to solve and might be network related. Nevertheless: stabilty is key for a product like this, thus it should have Auralic's highest attention. Btw, it's June... Any news on the long promised v2?

Audio

Auralic Aries Mini > SBooster Vbus Isolator > Clicktronic USB 2.0 cable 0.5m > UpTone Audio REGEN (amber) > Curious USB REGEN link > Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > inakustik Reference NF-102 (RCA) > PrimaLuna Prologue Premium Integrated Amplifier (EL34 tubes) > AH! DLS Direkt KB10 Speaker Cable > Sonus Faber Liuto Tower

~ and ~

Wadia 121 Decoding Computer > Belkin male 3.5-3.5 stereo jack iPod cable (with 6.3 adapter) > Sennheiser RS180

Powerline

Dedicated power group > Oehlbach Powercord OFC 1.5mm2 Schuko-C13 > Furman AC-210A E Power Conditioner > Powerline 1 to PrimaLuna, Powerline 2 to Brennenstuhl Premium Powersocket

UpTone Audio REGEN is powered by Meanwell SMPS with SBooster Ultra for REGEN

Auralic Aries Mini is powered by SBooster BOTW P&P ECO 15/16V with SBooster Ultra 15V