IGNORED

HQ Player

1 hour ago, ray-dude said:

Looking forward to listening to this later today!  Most of the NAA magic of 4.9.0 was lost with 4.9.1, so very hopeful to hear it again!

Agree 100%. 4.9.1 was more shrill than the magic of 4.9. I will listen to 4.9.2 later today

7 hours ago, luisma said:

What Miska said +1 you could use the Matrix tab to create an EQ profile

Thank you to both @Miska and @luisma for the suggestion.  Could I ask for one further piece of assistance?  The profiles I would want to set look like this:

Band 1

Band 2

Band 3

Band 4

Band 5

Band 6

Frequency

59Hz

75Hz

98Hz

136Hz

241Hz

395Hz

Gain/loss

+1.95db

-3db

+2.85db

-1.8db

+1.65db

-1.2db

But I could use some guidance as to how that translates into field entries on the Matrix processing page (I see only 1 page in the User Manual that speaks to this but it doesn't really show how to fill in the settings).  Obviously I'd prefer to feed Roon bit perfect!  Much appreciated.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

4 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

Thank you to both @Miska and @luisma for the suggestion.  Could I ask for one further piece of assistance?  The profiles I would want to set look like this:

Band 1

Band 2

Band 3

Band 4

Band 5

Band 6

Frequency

59Hz

75Hz

98Hz

136Hz

241Hz

395Hz

Gain/loss

+1.95db

-3db

+2.85db

-1.8db

+1.65db

-1.2db

But I could use some guidance as to how that translates into field entries on the Matrix processing page (I see only 1 page in the User Manual that speaks to this but it doesn't really show how to fill in the settings).  Obviously I'd prefer to feed Roon bit perfect!  Much appreciated.

Here's an example:

But note that you also need the filter Q or BW parameters from REW. Otherwise there's no way to know width/steepness of those bands.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

43 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Agree 100%. 4.9.1 was more shrill than the magic of 4.9. I will listen to 4.9.2 later today

I also felt the same on my Extreme to DAVE setup.  4.9.1 brought instant fatigue that 4.9 did not have.  Also 4.9 was the best I've heard my system.  

Listening to 4.9.2 for about 30 minutes and it seems to have brought the magic of 4.9 back without the shrillness of 4.9.1  Need more time to know for sure.  Also, I deleted the 4.9 installer so I can't go back to compare but I like what I'm hearing so far with 4.9.2

2 minutes ago, onlychild said:

I also felt the same on my Extreme to DAVE setup.  4.9.1 brought instant fatigue that 4.9 did not have.  Also 4.9 was the best I've heard my system.  

Listening to 4.9.2 for about 30 minutes and it seems to have brought the magic of 4.9 back without the shrillness of 4.9.1  Need more time to know for sure.  Also, I deleted the 4.9 installer so I can't go back to compare but I like what I'm hearing so far with 4.9.2

Yeah, that is optimistic news.   👍  You can always download 4.9 again (100 megs) and uninstall/reinstall.  Easy for me to say cuz I never tested 4.9 with my NAA. 

13 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Yeah, that is optimistic news.   👍  You can always download 4.9 again (100 megs) and uninstall/reinstall.  Easy for me to say cuz I never tested 4.9 with my NAA. 

Can you point me in the right direction where I can download 4.9.0 again?

No electron left behind.

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

4.9.2 is better than 4.9.1, but 4.9.0 was pure magic...

Magic that imo is worth a few extra clicks every now and then...

Plus you can get messed up sound because it may replace currently playing block with next block while the previous one is still being played. And seemingly tends to crash some NAA's (because they end up suddenly attempting to allocate almost 2 GB of RAM).

I wonder how 4.9.2 can be better than 4.9.1 (sonically) because the code being run during playback is exactly the same between the two...

1 hour ago, sdolezalek said:

This is specific to your example

iir:type=peak;f=59;g=+1.95;q=1.4,iir:type=peak;f=75;g=3;q=1.4,iir:type=peak;f=98;g=2.85;bw=1.01,iir:type=peak;f=136;g=-1.8;bw=1.01,iir:type=peak;f=241;g=1.65;bw=1.01,iir:type=peak;f=395;g=-1.2;bw=1.01

Like Miska said you need to use the bandwidth (bw) values or g (Q) values, I entered random values using the peak function, note there are others.

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

Plus you can get messed up sound because it may replace currently playing block with next block while the previous one is still being played. And seemingly tends to crash some NAA's (because they end up suddenly attempting to allocate almost 2 GB of RAM).

I wonder how 4.9.2 can be better than 4.9.1 (sonically) because the code being run during playback is exactly the same between the two...

I don't know either, but it is.

I never had my NAA crash, but I did have what sounded like a CD skip every now and then. What happened most often in my case was that when I paused the music for whatever reason, it would take a few clicks play, pause, play, to get playback going again.

No electron left behind.

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I never had my NAA crash

Me neither on NAA OS. But it is likely those devices with not so much RAM that they could run out of RAM. (and 32-bit binaries would hit the address space limit and crash)

20 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

but I did have what sounded like a CD skip every now and then

Yeah, that's the block replacement problem I was talking about.

21 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Ok, thanks for the answer. I guess that nixes that idea!

I'm running Roon (not just Core, but full desktop GUI) on my old 27" Core-i5 iMac. Sitting on top of my equipment rack. It also serves as NAA to exaSound e28 when I use that DAC. I can also run Spotify and other stuff on it and output through AES to HQPlayer Embedded.

Previously had same on old Mac Mini, but it got discarded when Apple stopped releasing OS upgrades for it.

Then I have bunch of servers across the house running either minimal Ubuntu Server or HQPlayer OS. And these are naturally accessible through HQPlayer Client and HQPDcontrol for local media, Roon or mConnect Player. For playing Tidal, these days I use mostly mConnect Player on my mobile phone.

58 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Can you point me in the right direction where I can download 4.9.0 again?

If it's ok with Jussi I will put my dropbox link (I saved 4.9 setup exe file) here; Jussi?

BTW, I am back to running 4.9.0 cuz it is so much better sounding than either of the dot releases after it (in my system).  It is blacker, it is killer on transients and decay, and it is seemingly slightly more dynamic, all the while being properly "softer" (in my system 🙂 ) aka no shrill whatsoever.

Can only confirm others' comments here. 4.9 hit a sonic high water mark, for reasons that appear to be coincidental and serendipitous, given Jussi's reaction.

4.9.2 brings most, but not all, of the magic back. If 4.9 is 100% magic, then 4.9.2 is 90%.

I can live with NAA crashes for the seductive SQ of 4.9. Welcome to audiophilia nervosa!

Pro tip for future: always archive HQPlayer installers you download. You never know when you might need them again.

19 minutes ago, Miska said:

Me neither on NAA OS. But it is likely those devices with not so much RAM that they could run out of RAM. (and 32-bit binaries would hit the address space limit and crash)

Yeah, that's the block replacement problem I was talking about.

I'm running Roon (not just Core, but full desktop GUI) on my old 27" Core-i5 iMac. Sitting on top of my equipment rack. It also serves as NAA to exaSound e28 when I use that DAC. I can also run Spotify and other stuff on it and output through AES to HQPlayer Embedded.

Previously had same on old Mac Mini, but it got discarded when Apple stopped releasing OS upgrades for it.

Then I have bunch of servers across the house running either minimal Ubuntu Server or HQPlayer OS. And these are naturally accessible through HQPlayer Client and HQPDcontrol for local media, Roon or mConnect Player. For playing Tidal, these days I use mostly mConnect Player on my mobile phone.

As I am switching away from Roon to Euphony for my main system playback, I am trying to find creative ways to continue to use my lifetime Roon license. I also have a 2011 Mac Mini not getting any use here, I think I will put Lubuntu on it and let it run Roon Server and HQPlayer desktop to various endpoints throughout the house, while I keep my Euphony system to myself and isolated from any mishaps two little girls may cause, as well as the Frozen soundtrack.

No electron left behind.

8 minutes ago, ted_b said:

If it's ok with Jussi I will put my dropbox link (I saved 4.9 setup exe file) here; Jussi?

BTW, I am back to running 4.9.0 cuz it is so much better sounding than either of the dot releases after it (in my system).  It is blacker, it is killer on transients and decay, and it is seemingly slightly more dynamic, all the while being properly "softer" (in my system 🙂 ) aka no shrill whatsoever.

I am 100% linux here, so the .exe will be next to useless in my case, but I appreciate the willingness.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I am 100% linux here, so the .exe will be next to useless in my case, but I appreciate the willingness.

You're right, and I won't expose my dropbox to the public.  Bad idea.  :)  Folks can PM me if you didn't save your 4.9 download for Windows.

25 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

As I am switching away from Roon to Euphony for my main system playback, I am trying to find creative ways to continue to use my lifetime Roon license. I also have a 2011 Mac Mini not getting any use here, I think I will put Lubuntu on it and let it run Roon Server and HQPlayer desktop to various endpoints throughout the house, while I keep my Euphony system to myself and isolated from any mishaps two little girls may cause, as well as the Frozen soundtrack.

I prefer to have Roon and HQPlayer running on separate computers...