IGNORED

HQ Player

Hi, I finally got my Mac Mini M1 today so I could finally listen to the EC modulator.

I'm using HQPlayer 4.9.2, upsampling everything to DSD256 with the ASDM7EC modulator.

I tried with success several filters including:

poly-sinc-ext2

closed-form-16M

sinc-s

sinc-m

I try sinc-l I got audio interruption every few seconds but I guess that is to be expected.

What is weird to me is that if I select poly-sinc-xtr-mp when I press play I get no sound and HQPlayer Desktop stop responding.

If I try to open the settings I got a spinning wheel of death and I have to force quit it.

Is this a bug? Am I asking my mini M1 too much? Shouldn't the player handle it more "gracefully"?

16 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

FYI - everything with the potential "secret sauce" was archived as shown below, including HQPlayer4Desktop-x64-490.dmg

https://pastebin.com/raw/sPjKLz9k

Embedded 4.21.1 was added (January 29, 2021)

https://pastebin.com/raw/skiGx6Hf

Arch Linux

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=hqplayer4&id=e4bc0f569c987d21775d0a78caf7c28fbda1b9eb

Update to version 4.9.0

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=hqplayer-embedded&id=766ea5f8ab0d87acc9df51dfb732f748bef6acb9

Update to version 4.21.0

https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/commit/?h=hqplayer-embedded&id=03fa53e02b20f82b7226d2fcce2e0e04bd573e08

Update to version 4.21.1

Hello,

Same observations here, 4.9.0 is better to my ears. 
A good change was made within 4.8.1 version for my taste, and 4.9.0 was going a little bit further.

With 4.9.2, it’s like if I was going back to a prior version to 4.8.1.

My setup is only pcm, poly-sinc-short-lp or ext2 and ns9. 

Sounds like a CPU affinity problem.

Fred (Toulouse, France)

5 hours ago, Confused said:

A question to those of you reporting that 4.9.0 has superior sound quality, (or indeed those who do not find this to be the case) what is your use case for HQPlayer?  That is, are you upsampling PCM or performing PCM to DSD conversion?  Similarly, do you have a PC + endpoint scenario or a "one box" system?

I guess I am just thinking aloud here, but I am just wondering if there is any correlation between those finding (or not finding) 4.9.0 to be superior and how HQPlayer is being implemented.

Win10 to SU-1 to Holo Spring I2S.  PCM to 384k (ext2), DSD to DSD256 (ASDM7EC, wide).  I will test direct USB when new USB module arrives, and will test NAA soon after.

6 hours ago, Confused said:

A question to those of you reporting that 4.9.0 has superior sound quality, (or indeed those who do not find this to be the case) what is your use case for HQPlayer?  That is, are you upsampling PCM or performing PCM to DSD conversion?  Similarly, do you have a PC + endpoint scenario or a "one box" system?

I guess I am just thinking aloud here, but I am just wondering if there is any correlation between those finding (or not finding) 4.9.0 to be superior and how HQPlayer is being implemented.

Good question.

My chain is:

Roon core on Win10 PC

HQPlayer on separate Win10 PC, Intel i9900KF CPU

Pi4 NAA using 4212 NAA image

USB out from Pi4 to DF Venus II DAC

upsampling all to DSD256, ASDM7EC, EXT2 filter

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

5 hours ago, Confused said:

I upsample everything to DSD5EC DSD256 with poly-sinc-ext2 or sinc-S, using an NAA. The details are in my signature.

Jussi's release notes on the main page for the recent versions mention various "NAA streaming optimizations", so I thought that might be the reason for the great sound. But @ted_b just posted that he's getting the "magic" even though he hasn't tried 4.9.0 with an NAA yet. 

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

4 minutes ago, k6davis said:

Jussi's release notes on the main page for the recent versions mention various "NAA streaming optimizations", so I thought that might be the reason for the great sound. But @ted_b just posted that he's getting the "magic" even though he hasn't tried 4.9.0 with an NAA yet. 

Yes, and 4.9.0 is not recommended with an NAA cuz Jussi says it's broken (hence the 4.9.x fixes) so I am very pleased it's magic is available direct. 😎

1 hour ago, ted_b said:

Yes, and 4.9.0 is not recommended with an NAA cuz Jussi says it's broken (hence the 4.9.x fixes) so I am very pleased it's magic is available direct. 😎

‘broken’ means ...? Seem to be NAA users among the 4.9.0 admirers.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

7 minutes ago, jamesg11 said:

‘broken’ means ...? Seem to be NAA users among the 4.9.0 admirers.

The reason folks are saying "I'll go back to 4.9 and live with the (broken) faults" is that Jussi posted this Monday:

Thanks!  I sent him a PM cuz I was embarrassed that I am the OP for the HQPerd thread four years ago, yet I forgot everything since then (running Windows since).  :) And a lot has changed!!   👍

Speaking of forgetting things, this is a somehwta ignorant question from someone who has used HQplayer for such a long time but:

* when one up-modulates DSD to DSD (say DSD64 to DSD256 using ASDM7EC) what, if any, settable filters/settings are being used?  I assume the "wide" (versus narrow) is being used, as I can see it in the HQPlayer desktop GUI, and it makes sense.  But what of the "SDM Integrator" settings like IIR, IIR2, IIR3, etc?  Are those only used when DSD is converted to PCM?

1 hour ago, k6davis said:

Here's how to get HQP OS/HQP Embedded running with Roon. This will require at least 2 computers: 1 for Roon and another for HQP Embedded. You can try it out without making any changes to your current server.

Great recipe!

To pile on here, if you are able to try this (2 computers etc), you most definitely should.  Booting off a USB stick makes it a very experiment to do (then undo).  Delightful how many problems and annoyances simply go away when you have a stripped down end point that is optimized for one thing and one thing only.  

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers