IGNORED

HQ Player

Just now, Miska said:

NAA software doesn't need updates to benefit from it. It is all at HQPlayer side. There are no changes to the NAA software module.

OK, I am new to all of this and still grasping all of the moving pieces involved! (Roon, HQPlayer, microRendu just to name a few...)

Appreciate your patience with my newbie inquiries.

28 minutes ago, OzarkMtn said:

OK, I am new to all of this and still grasping all of the moving pieces involved! (Roon, HQPlayer, microRendu just to name a few...)

Welcome aboard

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

34 minutes ago, tonym said:

yes the lines include 16/18/20/22/24

with 44100/48000/64000/88200/96000/128000/176400/192000

That's the problem. It shouldn't announce 18, 20 and 22 bit word lengths. HQPlayer is trying to figure out what is real resolution of the DAC, and usually these word lengths are advertised only for DACs that are actually 18, 20 or 22 bit. (bunch of older R2R DAC chips and newer HD Audio codec chips integrated into computer motherboards)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, Miska said:

You mean working to put the bugs back? No, not really. It would be extremely easy to do though thanks to version control systems. :D

Obviously not what I meant. I was more interested to try to understand how and why that bug or whatever changed made your software sound better. But if you are not interested, let's move on... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

3 minutes ago, Nenon said:

Obviously not what I meant. I was more interested to try to understand how and why that bug or whatever changed made your software sound better. But if you are not interested, let's move on... 

It doesn't! It makes it sound worse because it skips audio blocks every now and then. :D

5 minutes ago, tonym said:

Is there a solution ? Is it a Devialet driver issue or my pc hardware issue

It's in the Devialet driver. Although it doesn't make much practical difference, especially if you use noise shapers like NS9. But even with TPDF dither it doesn't really matter much.

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

It doesn't! It makes it sound worse because it skips audio blocks every now and then. :D

A lot of people seem to completely disagree with you on that, and think that this version is the best sounding HQP version you have ever produced, but okay... 

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

4 minutes ago, Nenon said:

A lot of people seem to completely disagree with you on that, and think that this version is the best sounding HQP version you have ever produced, but okay... 

When not skipping blocks, they output the same data... If you don't use NAA, there's no difference at all between the 4.9.x versions. And from 4.8.1 only if you explicitly select one of the new DSD source processing algorithms.

When not crashing NAA or glitching during playback, @Nenon's experience is the same as mine. 4.9.0 was a significant step up in SQ with a dual CPU system, HQPD running on one CPU, NAA running on the other (I believe @Nenon is running a similar config)  4.9.2 (with the fix) gave up some of that, but not all of it

I suspect it is not the bug but how data is being passed between processes?  If there is a way to understand that and optimize it, that would be a huge step forward (the improvement with 4.9.0 was decidedly non trivial)

If you're not hearing it in your test setup @Miska I'm sure this is a frustrating discussion.  This may be a very system dependent phenomenon.

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

4 minutes ago, Miska said:

If you don't use NAA, there's no difference at all between the 4.9.x versions.

I am not using an NAA currently and my ears can tell, EASILY, that there is a difference.  Not really all that subtle that 4.9.0 is much more musical (and blacker background) than the fixes after it.  What do you think could be going on?  We are all very curious.

18 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I am not using an NAA currently and my ears can tell, EASILY, that there is a difference.  Not really all that subtle that 4.9.0 is much more musical (and blacker background) than the fixes after it.  What do you think could be going on?  We are all very curious.

What USB DAC are you using?

18 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Hello,

I have the same feeling, no NAA at home: 4.9.0 is a bit more real or alive, 4.9.2 is cleaner, less aggressive, especially on live voices (sinatra at the sand, belafonte at carnegie hall, Diana Krall in Paris, etc.).

My setup is a bit different, as I'm using an unique old macbook pro 2015 (i7 3.1/16Gb) for roon core and HQP -> a Weiss INT203 firewire interconnect (lowest latency configured driver) -> ext2/NS9/PCM/192KHz/24 bits

On my system, multi-core DSP is better checked than grayed if it helps.

I tried to compare CPU consumption and output levels without big differences (4.9.0 : 10.8 CPU % - 65,8 db / 4.9.2 : 11.1 CPU % / 66.1 db).

Fred (Toulouse, France)

30 minutes ago, ted_b said:

No thanks!  😎  I'm staying at 4.9.0 and backing off using NAA until I hear something different.  Your 4.9.0 is to die for, but we don't know why.  🙂

Or get the latest Embedded version - it's the best performing release ever !

😃

Once you go Embedded you never go back .

I use both , for different setups.

1 minute ago, asdf1000 said:

Or get the latest Embedded version - it's the best performing release ever !

😃

Once you go Embedded you never go back .

I use both , for different setups.

Been there, done that, and posted about it.  Thx