IGNORED

HQ Player

I recently updated the OS of a 7-year old MacBook Pro (I believed is 4-core CPU) to the latest version of Catalina.  Under the previous versions of Catalina, the highest level I could go is DSD128.  Now I can run DSD256 easily without any breaks.  The updating of HQP4D from 4.7 to 4.8 is another improvement on performance.  The percentage of idle CPU increased from 18% to 36%.  

8 hours ago, MemoryPlayer said:

In dark view is hard to see play and pause!

Space bar for pause when playing and play when in pause...

Some covers aren't squares, looking more like DVD covers after 4.8!

Sem Título.png

I see everything just fine in a dark mode. Do you use proper monitor? Also, never saw cover anything other than square. Do you you use any exotic settings?

2 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I see everything just fine in a dark mode. Do you use proper monitor? Also, never saw cover anything other than square. Do you you use any exotic settings?

Nothing exotic, the same MBP for 3 years...

With previous versions covers were always square, only now changed!

20 hours ago, Traktorist3d said:

Hello everyone, I have a PC based on a Core i5 2500k, even when overclocked to 4.2GHz, and when playing an ASDM7EC 256, the processor is only loaded by 50% and gags occur, respectively. Is the processor too old for HQP to make full use of it? Windows 7 64

Hi

You may find that the cpu load may show as 50% but the core(s) running the ASDM7EC modulator is not able to process fast enough to keep the output realtime which causes the stuttering you are hearing. 4.2ghz is possibly not fast enough for this process. 

It may help if you are running a lightweight filter, but you may simply need to try a less heavy duty modulator.

On 12/5/2020 at 4:26 AM, voxel said:

Hi @Miska,

What's the recommended way to access HQPlayer from players other than roon, like JRiver, Audirvana or foobar2000?

From description in HQPlayer embedded version:

• It can operate for example as a digital-in-digital-out upsampler processor and convolution engine, or used inside a DAC
  • It can also function as a UPnP AV Renderer
  • There is also support for the HQPlayer Control API that can be used for implementing a custom GUI or other type of front-end utilizing the HQPlayer playback engine

Does roon use the control API and do other players have to access it as uPnP AV renderer, and can they use desktop version? Appreciate your help!

Regards,

Yongsheng

Roon uses HQPlayer control API and thus it works also with Desktop version. Audirvana and likely JRiver/foobar2k can use the UPnP AV Renderer functionality of Embedded version.

In addition the input functionality is available on both, but for some cases with Desktop you'd need Linux based NAA and suitable hardware.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 12/5/2020 at 5:39 PM, Traktorist3d said:

Hello everyone, I have a PC based on a Core i5 2500k, even when overclocked to 4.2GHz, and when playing an ASDM7EC 256, the processor is only loaded by 50% and gags occur, respectively. Is the processor too old for HQP to make full use of it? Windows 7 64

For EC-modulators single-thread performance is critical, since you will have two high loaded cores for stereo case (core per channel). Load on other cores depend on your filter selection.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

For EC-modulators single-thread performance is critical, since you will have two high loaded cores for stereo case (core per channel). Load on other cores depend on your filter selection.

Speaking of single-thread performance the 3700x seems to have more than enough for EC7 modulators,( benchmarks seem to indicate that IPC performance is around 4.9ghz 9900k)  it just has issues with when HQplayer wants more than 2-3 cores, for example i found out that optimal setup for EC7 modulators on this CPU is corepinning off, due to OMP freaking out when manually assigning cores, and then just 2 cores selected, with 2 cores only it doesn't seem to matter if there is CCX communication as CPU usage is the same around 7.5-10% total usage with the cores being only around 50-70% loaded each, no idea why cpu usage get's inflated when more than 2-3 cores are ticked, as 2 seem more than enough with cuda offload.

I'm receiving  my 5900x in a couple days so i'm gonna tinker with it to see if the Ryzen 3 architecture has the same behavior as Ryzen 2, though i expect the behavior to be kind of the same just with higher clock boost/IPC.

Hello,

I realize I will probably be asking a question that has come up before in this 7xx page thread and spending a few mins with search didn't show me the reply I was looking to see so I am posting the question here. My apologies in advance for any repetition.

I'm considering using HQPlayer with Roon as I get ready to implement a new system configuration using a Merging HAPI. Today I use Roon's DSP Software Volume control and Convolution Engine with Audiolense filters, 2 Subs and 2 Main Towers.

With HQ Player in the picture how does ones use of Digital Volume control change when planning on Upsampling to DSDxxx within HQPlayer? Today, if I'm not mistaken Roon or JRiver for that matter digital VOL control I believe doesn't work with DSD signals. I think maybe it changes the steam to PCM but I'm not sure.

My intention is to continue to try and use Digital VOL control if at all possible and also Upsample to DSD256 but I am not sure if this configuration is supported. I assume I'm not the only one wanting to do this so maybe someone can chime in on how that works with DSD and HQPlayer? I guess I wouldn't be too upset if I had to just use 384kHZ PCM in order to maintain VOL control.

Also, when using Roon & HQPlayer which App/Interface is used to control VOL?

Thanks

On 12/5/2020 at 8:02 PM, AnotherSpin said:

Look the same album with square and non square cover!

Sounds as the song filename size change the aspect.

2.png

1.png

16 hours ago, cjf said:

Hello,

I realize I will probably be asking a question that has come up before in this 7xx page thread and spending a few mins with search didn't show me the reply I was looking to see so I am posting the question here. My apologies in advance for any repetition.

I'm considering using HQPlayer with Roon as I get ready to implement a new system configuration using a Merging HAPI. Today I use Roon's DSP Software Volume control and Convolution Engine with Audiolense filters, 2 Subs and 2 Main Towers.

With HQ Player in the picture how does ones use of Digital Volume control change when planning on Upsampling to DSDxxx within HQPlayer? Today, if I'm not mistaken Roon or JRiver for that matter digital VOL control I believe doesn't work with DSD signals. I think maybe it changes the steam to PCM but I'm not sure.

My intention is to continue to try and use Digital VOL control if at all possible and also Upsample to DSD256 but I am not sure if this configuration is supported. I assume I'm not the only one wanting to do this so maybe someone can chime in on how that works with DSD and HQPlayer? I guess I wouldn't be too upset if I had to just use 384kHZ PCM in order to maintain VOL control.

Also, when using Roon & HQPlayer which App/Interface is used to control VOL?

Thanks

For several months I have been using the HQP volume control while converting everything to DSD256 and using Roon to control HQP. So, yes, HQP volume control works with DSD format output.

You can control the HQP volume setting using Roon once you have set up Roon to work with HQP. It works very well although these is slight delay. Roon will display the current volume HQP volume setting. You see also see the HQP volume control knob move to confirm it is working.

A few things about the HQP volume control settings if you are not familiar with how it works.

1. On the HQP settings panel, there are settings for Min Vol (default = -60) and Max Vol (default = -3). The HQP developer has strongly recommends that the Max Vol always be set at -3 or less to avoid potential clipping.

2. These settings control the limits of the large volume control knob on the main HQP panel - Min Vol = full counterclockwise, Max Vol = full clockwise.

3. If you are using digital volume control, I would strongly recommend setting the Max Volume to something like -10, -20 or -30 depending on how much attenuation your system requires. The reason for this is to avoid something going awry and the volume control accidentally maxing out (e.g. little to no attenuation) which could damage equipment. In my system, Max Vol = -20 where as my typical listening level is between -30 and -24.

Hope this helps. The integration of HQP and Roon is fairly seamless.

On 12/4/2020 at 9:26 PM, voxel said:

Hi @Miska,

What's the recommended way to access HQPlayer from players other than roon, like JRiver, Audirvana or foobar2000?

From description in HQPlayer embedded version:

• It can operate for example as a digital-in-digital-out upsampler processor and convolution engine, or used inside a DAC
  • It can also function as a UPnP AV Renderer
  • There is also support for the HQPlayer Control API that can be used for implementing a custom GUI or other type of front-end utilizing the HQPlayer playback engine

Does roon use the control API and do other players have to access it as uPnP AV renderer, and can they use desktop version? Appreciate your help!

Regards,

Yongsheng

You can setup JRiver to send the stream to HQPlayer using the UPNP setup.  Same thing applies for Audirvana.  I have not tried this but with Audirvana I believe you do not need embedded version.  Roon, can work with both embedded and windows version.  I cannot comment on foobar since I have not used it.

The control API is what Roon is using, along with HQPDControl (sp?) for both iOS and Android. 

I do not have the links handy but there is a script that was written by @Geoffrey Armstrong to allow JRiver control desktop version of HQPlayer, that folks have used successfully.  He had written a similar script to control it from iTunes.

If you use embedded version you can use mConnect on iOS devices and BubbleUpNP on Android.

If you can find Google Chromecast Audio you can use it as input to HQPlayer and use native application to send the stream to Chromecast.

This is very old document but you should be able to use the JRiver setup listed -

I would skip doing the install and just leverage the image that @Miskaprovides.

9 hours ago, ericuco said:

For several months I have been using the HQP volume control while converting everything to DSD256 and using Roon to control HQP. So, yes, HQP volume control works with DSD format output.

You can control the HQP volume setting using Roon once you have set up Roon to work with HQP. It works very well although these is slight delay. Roon will display the current volume HQP volume setting. You see also see the HQP volume control knob move to confirm it is working.

A few things about the HQP volume control settings if you are not familiar with how it works.

1. On the HQP settings panel, there are settings for Min Vol (default = -60) and Max Vol (default = -3). The HQP developer has strongly recommends that the Max Vol always be set at -3 or less to avoid potential clipping.

2. These settings control the limits of the large volume control knob on the main HQP panel - Min Vol = full counterclockwise, Max Vol = full clockwise.

3. If you are using digital volume control, I would strongly recommend setting the Max Volume to something like -10, -20 or -30 depending on how much attenuation your system requires. The reason for this is to avoid something going awry and the volume control accidentally maxing out (e.g. little to no attenuation) which could damage equipment. In my system, Max Vol = -20 where as my typical listening level is between -30 and -24.

Hope this helps. The integration of HQP and Roon is fairly seamless.

Thank you for your reply and info..much appreciated

On 12/6/2020 at 7:59 AM, Miska said:

Roon uses HQPlayer control API and thus it works also with Desktop version. Audirvana and likely JRiver/foobar2k can use the UPnP AV Renderer functionality of Embedded version.

In addition the input functionality is available on both, but for some cases with Desktop you'd need Linux based NAA and suitable hardware.

Thanks for clarification Miska!

I tried the desktop version and find that I like Audirvana as front end (Qobuz) and potentially HQPlayer embedded OS as renderer/output (I'm using windows now). The reason I asked is I saw someone mentioning 'lots of half-baked solutions' regarding uPnP based players somewhere before, but I don't have enough knowledge to judge.

8 hours ago, shadowlight said:

You can setup JRiver to send the stream to HQPlayer using the UPNP setup.  Same thing applies for Audirvana.  I have not tried this but with Audirvana I believe you do not need embedded version.  Roon, can work with both embedded and windows version.  I cannot comment on foobar since I have not used it.

Thank you for so many details shadowlight!

I used to be a JRiver user but switched to Audirvana when they started to add more and more non-audio stuff; Roon is an overkill for my simple control pc -> audio pc -> dac setup. Good to know from Miska and you that uPnP path works well. I prefer embedded version because it can run light weight Linux which looks better than my non-heavily-optimized windows audio pc.

Today I found that I cannot select ASIO devices in HQPlayer, If I choose WASAPI, I can’t output DSD format either. But there was no problem before.

hqplayer_asio_blank.thumb.png.0d7ef5784f0540a53af4940472cbc655.png

hqplayer_wasapi_no_SDM.thumb.png.4b3ab8dd41ecc500056081b79143e4b7.png

When i click ASIO drop-down menu, HQPlayer statusbar show some message:

hqplayer_asio_error_statusbar.png.404b57cb159f0329bf95f3a0c4806350.png

Foobar can found my ASIO devices for now an play fine.

foobar_asio_ok.png.dd3b936d658196b33d70406ee3e05f43.png

Operating System: Windows 10 x64 Ent 20H2(19042.662)

HQPlayer Pro 4.5.0 x64

Any suggestions?