IGNORED

HQ Player

I had v3 on one PC, and bought v4 for another PC with the discount from v3 purchase.
Does that mean my first PC will not be able to use HQPlayer v3 anymore and I need to buy one more v4? It's fine if I need to, just crossed my mind.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

24 minutes ago, Miska said:

You need to have it on "Process" line of all pipelines/channels you want to apply it on. There is no assumptions about wanting to have same thing for all channels.

Hmm ok, do you know if i can leave the gain (dB/Lin) at 0, and turn down volume instead or is it better to set gain there?

image.png.9f119a0cfb1cc43b9a3345e757296afa.png

27 minutes ago, Yviena said:

Hmm ok, do you know if i can leave the gain (dB/Lin) at 0, and turn down volume instead or is it better to set gain there?

image.png.9f119a0cfb1cc43b9a3345e757296afa.png

Either one is fine, but from usability point of view it is more logical to compensate the boost in pipeline gain. For negative gain Eq's nothing is of course needed.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

51 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I had v3 on one PC, and bought v4 for another PC with the discount from v3 purchase.
Does that mean my first PC will not be able to use HQPlayer v3 anymore and I need to buy one more v4? It's fine if I need to, just crossed my mind.

You can keep using v3 if you got upgrade to v4. The licenses are still separate.

23 minutes ago, Miska said:

Either one is fine, but from usability point of view it is more logical to compensate the boost in pipeline gain. For negative gain Eq's nothing is of course needed.

weird I seem to need to reduce volume more than -7db when i leave gain at 0 with these values active than just setting them all to -6.2 in the pipeline gain.image.png.db46efce7f17e1157499d3a4b33fac0a.png

would you say this is fine, or should i set all gain values to the same number, since there doesn't seems to a global pre-amp value.image.png.bfb75eb2393ad98214c391d0dc58caee.png

1 hour ago, Miska said:

At least for now you need to use detached covers. The embedded cover stuff is not standard in the APE specification. And it is good to have thing always anyway, because it makes retrieving album covers faster to the client / remote control.

Well, I hope although not standard that it will be included as well. I do not use any library or remote setup, I do not even use a client.

Just drag n drop the stuff I want to listen to.

Unfortunately the ape tagging is what is used for tagging WavPack and ideally HQPlayer is can use the "output" of the Wavpack converter as is.

Thanks for considering.

I think for DSD file users, the wave pack support provided is great. I am really happy you introduced that support. That will save me at least 1-2 TB of SSD space. The cream topping would be supporting those files how the come from the WavPack converter, including cover art as is (even when not standardised).

11 minutes ago, Yviena said:

weird I seem to need to reduce volume more than -7db when i leave gain at 0 with these values active than just setting them all to -6.2 in the pipeline gain.image.png.db46efce7f17e1157499d3a4b33fac0a.png

would you say this is fine, or should i set all gain values to the same number?image.png.bfb75eb2393ad98214c391d0dc58caee.png

Remember that you still need the about -3 dB headroom. So if you have +5.7 boost, you need to set volume control to -9 to safely compensate for it. With the volume control you need to round to next full dB. While with the pipeline gains you can do finer grained adjustments.

-6 + -3 = -9

14 minutes ago, mikel said:

I think for DSD file users, the wave pack support provided is great. I am really happy you introduced that support. That will save me at least 1-2 TB of SSD space. The cream topping would be supporting those files how the come from the WavPack converter, including cover art as is (even when not standardised).

I can take a look what the WavPack converter produces and see if I can add support for that in a future release. For me, it didn't somehow transfer metadata properly from DSF to WavPack... But I re-tagged the file with MP3Tag.

Eventually support for writing WavPack files will also land to HQPlayer Pro.

The problem with the WavPack Converter is that it ONLY accepts ID3v2.3.

I tried many things until this became clear, since most software these days actually use ID3v2.4.

My ID-Tagger on the Mac is Yate. It lets me choose the write the tags for DSF-files in ID3v2.3.

So in this way I can directly batch-convert all DSF-Files into WV files with the tags directly transferred by WavPack.

The important learning for me was that DSF needs to be ID3v2.3 for WavPack to work.

I must say the space savings are incredible and once this will work fully with the covers, I will convert all of my DSF-Albums.

@Miska i have 4.8.0 is stuck on the splash screen. This on High Sierra. Here is what the log says:

# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore main window geometry
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore main window state
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore splitter state
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore tracks geometry

I've tried deleting the content from /.hqplayer as well as the hqplayer relates files from the /Library folders but the result is the same.  Restarting also doesn't fix the problem. 4.7.2 runs fine.

22 minutes ago, fusos said:

@Miska i have 4.8.0 is stuck on the splash screen. This on High Sierra. Here is what the log says:

# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore main window geometry
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore main window state
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore splitter state
# 2020/11/27 23:21:21 Failed to restore tracks geometry

I've tried deleting the content from /.hqplayer as well as the hqplayer relates files from the /Library folders but the result is the same.  Restarting also doesn't fix the problem. 4.7.2 runs fine.

As the release notes say, it requires >= 10.14 (Mojave) now, because development tools have moved forward and dropped support for older macOS releases. This is kind of inevitable progress...

if you cannot upgrade macOS anymore due to Apple dropping hardware support, you can keep using 4.7.2...

30 minutes ago, mikel said:

The problem with the WavPack Converter is that it ONLY accepts ID3v2.3.

I tried many things until this became clear, since most software these days actually use ID3v2.4.

My ID-Tagger on the Mac is Yate. It lets me choose the write the tags for DSF-files in ID3v2.3.

So in this way I can directly batch-convert all DSF-Files into WV files with the tags directly transferred by WavPack.

The important learning for me was that DSF needs to be ID3v2.3 for WavPack to work.

I must say the space savings are incredible and once this will work fully with the covers, I will convert all of my DSF-Albums.

Yeah, that is likely the problem, and ID3v2.4 is also what HQPlayer Pro writes (to DSF, DSDIFF, WAV and AIFF). For reading, HQPlayer supports ID3 v2.2, 2.3 and 2.4.

If you can email me some small file (as small as possible) with embedded cover, I can take a look.

41 minutes ago, Yviena said:

@MiskaHmm weird but the sound is somehow different when i do the mentioned PEQ via your IIR plugin,or via a convolution file, the IIR plugin has more punch even if gain hasn't changed, also do you recommend linear phase or minimum phase when doing convolution?

IIR is minimum phase. But a lot depends on how the convolution filters are sourced etc. If you have parametric eq style data to begin with, then it is not anymore necessary to convert that to a convolution filter, IIR is lighter to process. But if you start from something like Acourate or Audiolense, then there is no conversion to parametric eq. Pretty much only REW gets started with parametric ones, because it was designed to create settings for such.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

IIR is minimum phase. But a lot depends on how the convolution filters are sourced etc. If you have parametric eq style data to begin with, then it is not anymore necessary to convert that to a convolution filter, IIR is lighter to process. But if you start from something like Acourate or Audiolense, then there is no conversion to parametric eq. Pretty much only REW gets started with parametric ones, because it was designed to create settings for such.

I see, do you know if it's possible to set a global pre-amp level with the IIR plugin, since i'm still a little bit unsure if i should just set every gain value to the same one, or use different values per IIR filter like this,image.png.76b6a98d51ffcea1bd8dab85a387409e.png

or like this 

image.png.b892c92788eb27763df8c5a377a40e80.png

Unsure really how the gain works does it only alter the volume in that specific frequency region listed or...?

BTW i managed to crash HQplayer when i had 10 PEQ entries for each channel, when i pressed the enable matrix button, will see if i can trigger it again.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

IIR is minimum phase. But a lot depends on how the convolution filters are sourced etc

Also, different PEQ designs use different definitions of Q and BW and possibly even different slopes (although I believe 2nd order is most common).

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

27 minutes ago, Yviena said:

Unsure really how the gain works does it only alter the volume in that specific frequency region listed

It's the amplitude of the peak.  (Or dip if negative.)  Increasing the gain is like moving a single band's slider farther from zero in a graphical EQ.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7