IGNORED

HQ Player

6 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, this is crazy. Reconfigured my wife's MacBook Pro with M1 SoC and I have DSD256 with ASDM7EC modulator working just fine. I found one thing that didn't work (going from 44.1 to DSD256 48k rather than DSD256 44.1k), but all of this works amazingly well. Plus, I was on WiFi and battery :~)

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I also did it with 192 material   

So the M1 can upsample PCM 192k all the way up to DSD256 ASDM7EC x48 (12.288M) !!

Very impressive. If this is the performance we're getting from their first generation, budget, battery-sipping laptop chip, I can't wait to see what Apple has in store for 2021.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

@Miska Do I understand correctly that DSP in HQP processes the signal with 80bit precision? And is that much better than more separate DSP processors? Type ADAU 1452 and the like. Just using CarPC in a car for a multi-way crossover. In order to minimize the design and the desire to get away from windows, there are plans to use a hardware DSP. But I understand correctly, it is in the accuracy and quality of HQP processing that is much better in this regard? In general, in terms of sound quality, the Linux version will be better, is it worth leaving Windows for Linux? Is it sound quality? Considering that the data will go via ethernert to beaglebone.

3 hours ago, k6davis said:

Very impressive. If this is the performance we're getting from their first generation, budget, battery-sipping laptop chip, I can't wait to see what Apple has in store for 2021.

It would be interesting to be able to reproduce this on some other arm64 chip. Although the challenge is that all I have are quad-core, while the Apple's chip is so called ARM Little-Big architecture with combination of low power and high performance cores.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 minutes ago, Traktorist3d said:

@Miska Do I understand correctly that DSP in HQP processes the signal with 80bit precision? And is that much better than more separate DSP processors? Type ADAU 1452 and the like. Just using CarPC in a car for a multi-way crossover. In order to minimize the design and the desire to get away from windows, there are plans to use a hardware DSP. But I understand correctly, it is in the accuracy and quality of HQP processing that is much better in this regard? In general, in terms of sound quality, the Linux version will be better, is it worth leaving Windows for Linux? Is it sound quality? Considering that the data will go via ethernert to beaglebone.

80-bit extended precision floating point is slow, so it is only used where necessary, elsewhere the processing is 64-bit floating point.

HQPlayer Embedded running on Linux would be the version to use in such environments. You can get all kinds of automotive temperature range computers in suitable aluminum casing for use in cars.

2 hours ago, Traktorist3d said:

I’d love to read more about this project in another thread. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

OK, this is crazy. Reconfigured my wife's MacBook Pro with M1 SoC and I have DSD256 with ASDM7EC modulator working just fine. I found one thing that didn't work (going from 44.1 to DSD256 48k rather than DSD256 44.1k), but all of this works amazingly well. Plus, I was on WiFi and battery :~)

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 7.29.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 7.20.40 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 7.23.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 7.28.34 PM.png

Hello everyone. I've been with Foobar for a long time doing upsampling of all my music to dsd512 with some results, for me, very satisfactory, especially in the upsampling of the flac, 16-44, 24-96, 24-192 files and also of my dsd64 files , 128 and 256. For a few days, I have decided to try HQPlayer and also upsampling to dsd512 of my music. Well, after days of comparing both players, I can say that HQP with xtr-2s filters and others that I have tried, has a sweeter, more musical, more delicate sound. Foobar, has a more powerful, darker, heavier sound, with a more present, heavier sound output. Of course, both players configured to upsampling to dsd512 and the same output configuration, in my case Asio, amanero. But there is one thing, about the aesthetic or visual aspect, that after three days of fiddling with settings in HQP I can't move forward, that is, change the background color to that beautiful black that it shows here and also another thing, I can't select several songs from the album that is playing at that moment, at the moment I want to select with the mouse, the song already starts to sound, I cannot select several songs to remove them, move them, etc ... Please, if someone can give me a little light would be very grateful. Thanks for any opinion and greetings to all ...

38 minutes ago, Gilberto said:

But there is one thing, about the aesthetic or visual aspect, that after three days of fiddling with settings in HQP I can't move forward, that is, change the background color to that beautiful black that it shows here and also another thing, I can't select several songs from the album that is playing at that moment, at the moment I want to select with the mouse, the song already starts to sound, I cannot select several songs to remove them, move them, etc ... Please, if someone can give me a little light would be very grateful. Thanks for any opinion and greetings to all ...

In HQPlayer Client (the control application), on the right side view (playlist editor) you have playlist editor where you can adjust your current playlist. Add/remove/reorder items.

On my older (v3) HQPlayer whenever I switch input on the integrated amplifier to something else and back go USB HQPlayer enters “blinking” mode and I am not able to revive it without a PC restart (pressing X does nothing). I don’t mind that as I have remote access from my phone and it takes 20 seconds to get it all up and running again. 
However, my prefered output is DSD. For some reason when PC boots up and HQPlayer auto starts it always defaults to PCM so I need to go back to PC and manually change to DSD.

Is there a way to disable PCM or do something about it so it always starts with DSD as output mode?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

14 minutes ago, mirekti said:

On my older (v3) HQPlayer whenever I switch input on the integrated amplifier to something else and back go USB HQPlayer enters “blinking” mode and I am not able to revive it without a PC restart (pressing X does nothing). I don’t mind that as I have remote access from my phone and it takes 20 seconds to get it all up and running again. 
However, my prefered output is DSD. For some reason when PC boots up and HQPlayer auto starts it always defaults to PCM so I need to go back to PC and manually change to DSD.

Is there a way to disable PCM or do something about it so it always starts with DSD as output mode?

For HQPlayer v3 part of the fix is to switch to v4 (you can use the free trial).

But the problem is amplifiers/DACs that disappear from the USB bus when some other input is selected. While for example ASIO driver is stateful. Many drivers don't handle this gracefully. TEAC's ASIO driver is one of the rare that handle disconnect events gracefully.

Point is that when HQPlayer is started it begins accessing the DAC, when you exit HQPlayer the DAC gets released. If it disappears on the fly meantime, results vary depending on OS and the driver in question.

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

For HQPlayer v3 part of the fix is to switch to v4 (you can use the free trial).

But the problem is amplifiers/DACs that disappear from the USB bus when some other input is selected. While for example ASIO driver is stateful. Many drivers don't handle this gracefully. TEAC's ASIO driver is one of the rare that handle disconnect events gracefully.

Point is that when HQPlayer is started it begins accessing the DAC, when you exit HQPlayer the DAC gets released. If it disappears on the fly meantime, results vary depending on OS and the driver in question.

I do have v4 on another PC, maybe I swap them as I don’t change the input there.

It is Technics SU-G700, not sure what drivers it is based upon.

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

I’ll actually write a mail to Technics support and let them know that USB is not released when input is changed.

Should I add something else to it?

28 minutes ago, mirekti said:

I’ll actually write a mail to Technics support and let them know that USB is not released when input is changed.

Should I add something else to it?

The problem is that device is disappearing from USB bus when switching inputs. Equivalent of pulling off the USB cable every time you switch the input. While it should stay present as long as USB's VBUS is present.

41 minutes ago, Miska said:

The problem is that device is disappearing from USB bus when switching inputs. Equivalent of pulling off the USB cable every time you switch the input. While it should stay present as long as USB's VBUS is present.

If I understood this correctly as long as the 5V remains on VBUS, HQPlayer would keep sending data, and if I switched to let’s say Line In and then back to USB, the audio would work. Am I getting this right? I mean, are there two VBUS lines, one from source the other the destination?

11 minutes ago, mirekti said:

If I understood this correctly as long as the 5V remains on VBUS, HQPlayer would keep sending data, and if I switched to let’s say Line In and then back to USB, the audio would work. Am I getting this right? I mean, are there two VBUS lines, one from source the other the destination?

The USB device for your DAC may or may not be powered from the 5V source (computer).

In one of my DAC's, the USB board is powered internally as part of the DAC's power supply. I can block (disconnect) the 5V power lead in the USB cable and everything works. Alternatively, I could remove the internal power and have it powered by the incoming 5V cable.

For other DAC's, the USB board is only powered by the incoming 5V lead. There is no internal power source powering the board.

For some reason, when you switch sources, the USB connect is being interrupted. Not sure why or how but that seems to be case as Miska mentioned. Doesn't really have anything to do with HQP.

8 minutes ago, ericuco said:

For some reason, when you switch sources, the USB connect is being interrupted. Not sure why or how but that seems to be case as Miska mentioned. Doesn't really have anything to do with HQP.

Right, but I've been long time member of this thread, HqPlayer owner, and knew Miska would help out and explain it all for the sake of USB universe's equilibrium ;)

Now I know what the issue is and can send (already did) a bug report to Techinics. However, whether they'll be as good as Miska and fix it like he fixes HQPlayer in case the issue is on his side, well, that's hard to believe, but let's see.

56 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Yes, that's the case. Computer keeps the VBUS active as long as it is up, but if DAC disconnects regardless, it causes disconnect/reconnect events on the computer and drivers handle this differently. It could be same or a different DAC, for example macOS regularly assigns the DAC a new ID when it reappears.

While if you have USB cable connected and computer's VBUS (the USB +5V line) is there, the DAC should stay on the bus and not just disappear suddenly and come back. Depending on how you roll the input selector. USB has established state between the host and device, and disconnect/reconnect events cause this state to be reset.

Typical approach would be to have the USB interface powered from the VBUS and the DAC side powered from the DAC's PSU. This way the USB interface is alive even if the DAC is powered off. This makes life more straightforward in terms on order you power up the devices. For example DVI/HDMI display connections do this. The source device (computer, etc) provides enough power towards the display so that it can report back it's resolution and refresh rate capabilities and such. Even if the display is otherwise off. This way things come up the same way always, independent of the order which you power up the devices.

Now in HQPlayer Desktop 4.8.1 release, you can leave "Multicore DSP" set to "auto config" (grayed) and it will behave in optimal way on Apple's M1 silicon.

It is very interesting that Intel CPUs perform so much worse in the same modulator DSP processing layout. When someone gets the new Ryzen 5000-series CPUs (Zen 3), I'm interested to hear how those perform with "Multicore DSP" checked vs grayed.

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

Now in HQPlayer Desktop 4.8.1 release, you can leave "Multicore DSP" set to "auto config" (grayed) and it will behave in optimal way on Apple's M1 silicon.

It is very interesting that Intel CPUs perform so much worse in the same modulator DSP processing layout. When someone gets the new Ryzen 5000-series CPUs (Zen 3), I'm interested to hear how those perform with "Multicore DSP" checked vs grayed.

Hi Jussy,

image.thumb.jpeg.08069519041c213ebfe7cc6b1516d003.jpeg

Does the Arm64  release 4.8.1. also work when  I have updated to Big Sur instead Catallna on my Intel Mac Mini 2018 with I7 (6 cores) ? Does it detect automatically which OS is available resp. needed? Or do I need always the Intel version? 

Ps. I can run now without any problems DSD5EC, ASD5EC and even  ASDM7EC instead ASDM7 what I normally do.

Only the fan speed increases from 1700 (standard ) up to approx. 3500 <-> 3700 rpm.

When I enable Multi DSP stuttering starts already with DSD5EC. With the option grayed it works?😃

Best regards, Andreas

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable