IGNORED

Overused phrases...

Quantum leap.

Do they really mean something that small?

You know, I actually have bad memories of this. I once voiced this same concern in a chemistry lecture. That a quantum leap was small (hey as an ME student I had taken physics too). People just looked at me with this blank stare, and then proceeded along as if I never asked the question.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thought I would combine all the nominations so far.

This integrated amplifier just might be the world's best reproduction device in audio. It lifts veils to a heretofore unseen landscape of sonic experience. Though not cheap at $58,000 it hits above it's price class competing with products costing far more. Even in DBT this would be obvious (evil grins). This game changing giant killer even includes a USB input to the built in highly analog sounding DAC. This state of the art performance won't even allow any bass suckouts to occur. This smart design won't allow ground loops to form without warning the user of such an unwanted event. This unit provides an eye opening experience that flat earther's cannot ignore. Subjectivist or objectivist those who get the chance to behold this unit will find it to be the case, that it approaches cost no object performance in a way that cost is not a reason to object at all. This unit boasts rock solid base, and is so far beyond anything anyone has heard it is simply stunning...stunning to experience. I am all worn out just thinking of it to write this. Even Klingon puppies, rare precious treasures indeed, don't provide the rush of this superlative product. This unit is proof that pure class A technology in amplifiers is dead.

This sounds unfortunately very much like a lot of recent reviews I've read (with maybe the exception of the Klingon Puppies).

This reminds me of a conversation at work. We were looking into shower hardware for a bathroom remodel. The 15k shower set got a 5 minute spiel with a long list of superlatives, temp compensation ect. Then came the 40k+ shower control, and all the salesperson could say was that: "It was an experience.".

This sounds unfortunately very much like a lot of recent reviews I've read (with maybe the exception of the Klingon Puppies).

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

I agree they are overused, but to me they are quite good metaphors.

Yes, but when there is more than 1, "at least 4 or 5 veils were lifted", is a bit much.

Kind of reminds me of a well-known Xmas song .. "6 veils a lifting, 5 golden rings, 4 liquid amps .."

In most shops, it is rather self selecting... who wants to review something that they don't think is interesting or will sound good? That's pretty much a waste of time, and, you can get the rankings from Consumer Review, which is very very good at that type of thing.

I have thought of starting a Consumer Review type publication for Audio, but don't want to do if it is undercapitalized. :")

-Paul

I wonder why no reviewer is ever stunned by the low quality of a reviewed product - it seems that only greatness stuns the press. Surely something out there must have stunned someone with its poor performance.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

In most shops, it is rather self selecting... who wants to review something that they don't think is interesting or will sound good?

I understand that, Paul. But surely at least a few products come out with major positive hype every year that fail to live up to their promise. If everything is pre-screened so well that no duds ever get reviewed, some great stuff is flying well under the radar.

I must admit that I was kinda stunned the first time I heard Martin Logan ESLs. I wasn't in the sweet spot and they sounded average at best. Only when I got to the the optimal distance from them on the exact centerline did they open up and reveal their true quality.

David

I hope some one will.

"That makes a huge difference" the fact that many can't detect the difference in a DBT not withstanding.

Chris

Yes, another is "not subtle" - when referring to something no one can hear, but makes a huge imagined difference.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I understand that, Paul. But surely at least a few products come out with major positive hype every year that fail to live up to their promise. If everything is pre-screened so well that no duds ever get reviewed, some great stuff is flying well under the radar.

I must admit that I was kinda stunned the first time I heard Martin Logan ESLs. I wasn't in the sweet spot and they sounded average at best. Only when I got to the the optimal distance from them on the exact centerline did they open up and reveal their true quality.

David

Hah! I had the exact same experience with them, and then had to wonder why a product that is so finicky only one person at a time can experience it's true capabilities is considered such a "wonder" product! :)

There is a whole lot of audio that is under-reveiwed and often just given a lick and prayer type of mention in the press. Part of that is pure availability- you have not, for example, seen PeterSt's DAC reviewed in a major magazine because availability to it is far too limited. And again, that makes sense. Why review something that nobody can actually buy?

TAS seems to cover the ultra-expensive snobby end really well. Since they added Scott to their writing stable, I think things have improved a bit with them, but they still categorize stuff for the "low end" as in the "under $15,000" category. Stupid if you ask me. But then, they didn't ask me. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

My gosh. All the descriptors are gone. For sure I'll never write about my new xxxx! Now you'll never know whether I like it or not. My higher-Fi vocabulary is gone.

Indeed - while the extremes of hifi journalism are (almost) beyond parody, it is very hard to describe something without resorting to some of the clichés.

My pet hate is when the journalist's wife is introduced as an independent witness: "Even my (classically trained / non audiophile) wife noticed the improved soundstage while she was hoovering the corridor outside"

Who is this amazingly talented woman, I wonder, and is she available for hire.

Well, my wife qualifies, but I expect her rates are a bit too steep for you. :)

-Paul

Indeed - while the extremes of hifi journalism are (almost) beyond parody, it is very hard to describe something without resorting to some of the clichés.

My pet hate is when the journalist's wife is introduced as an independent witness: "Even my (classically trained / non audiophile) wife noticed the improved soundstage while she was hoovering the corridor outside"

Who is this amazingly talented woman, I wonder, and is she available for hire.

Robert A. Heinlein