IGNORED

Overused phrases...

Yes, another is "not subtle" - when referring to something no one can hear, but makes a huge imagined difference.

Just because you are incapable of hearing these differences things doesn't mean that they don't actually exist . It's not just reviewers either, other members also use such phrases.

Does that make what he reported impossible too ? see post 107 http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/cheap-music-server-power-tweak-very-good-18057/index5.html

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Indeed - while the extremes of hifi journalism are (almost) beyond parody, it is very hard to describe something without resorting to some of the clichés.

My pet hate is when the journalist's wife is introduced as an independent witness: "Even my (classically trained / non audiophile) wife noticed the improved soundstage while she was hoovering the corridor outside"

Who is this amazingly talented woman, I wonder, and is she available for hire.

Given that women in general have better hearing than men, especially in the HF area, and are far better equipped for multi tasking, why should it be so surprising that they notice things many males fail to pick up on ? The hoovering bit is laying it on a bit thick though, even for an ice cream lover. A pro like Barry Diament readily acknowledges the hearing acuity of his wife.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

This DAC sounds great! (hint: if you can hear your DAC, you have a problem!!)

If you can't hear a difference between the vast majority of DACs , then you have a problem.

If you can't hear a difference between the vast majority of DACs , then you have a problem.

AUDIO TRUTH 1: Wire + Gain.

AUDIO TRUTH 2: Quality of Source Recording.

AUDIO TRUTH 3: ALL ELSE IS PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Yes. All amplifiers meeting certain minimum specifications MUST sound the same.

Yes. All CD players, Computer software players MUST all sound the same with the same high quality source material providing there are no errors in playback.

Personal preference aside, very few DACs sound the same. Does an old USB DAC sound the same as a modern Async USB DAC, does a Sabre DAC sound the same as a DSD 179x DAC as typically implemented ?

If they don't then YOU have a problem.

Yes. All amplifiers meeting certain minimum specifications MUST sound the same.

Yes. All CD players, Computer software players MUST all sound the same with the same high quality source material providing there are no errors in playback.

Personal preference aside, very few DACs sound the same. Does an old USB DAC sound the same as a modern Async USB DAC, does a Sabre DAC sound the same as a DSD 179x DAC as typically implemented ?

If they don't then YOU have a problem.

I wonder if we agree. Could we state that as DACs improve, they will sound the same ?

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I wonder if we agree. Could we state that as DACs improve, they will sound the same ?

I expect that as time progresses, that this should indeed be possible, "bean counters" permitting.

They will sound better, but I don't believe they will sound the same unless the design choices become the same. Amplifiers have been around a lot longer and they don't sound the same.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

"no-brainer"

WTF does that even mean?

As if you didn't know, it's a brief and, IMO, quite effective way to describe something that is so obvious or easy that you don't even have to exercise your brain.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Right, but which way does it go? It has never been clear to me. Does it mean you should or should not do something?

Bill, you have your faults but being a dummy is not one of them. As I'm sure you know, which way it goes should be obvious from the context. If it's not, it's not a 'no-brainer'.

Right, but which way does it go? It has never been clear to me. Does it mean you should or should not do something?

Usually it means something is so clear you don't need a brain to make the right decision.

For instance, it has been suggested someone can test whether or not they can fly off a bridge by flapping their arms. It is a no brainer to NOT do that test.

Someone might tell you "look there is a $100 bill by your foot". It is a no brainer to pick it up.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

For instance, it has been suggested someone can test whether or not they can fly off a bridge by flapping their arms. It is a no brainer to NOT do that test.

For George Reeves it wasn't.

Au contraire mon frere,

For George it was a no brainer, he was merely suggesting some of your ideas were equally no brainers to everyone other than yourself.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Au contraire mon frere,

For George it was a no brainer, he was merely suggesting some of your ideas were equally no brainers to everyone other than yourself.

Smarten up! George REEVES, i.e. Superman, not George Graves!

Again, seeing you are so sure, arrange for my claims to be put to the test here in Sydney. I would be happy to bet a couple of bottles of 12yo old Scotch on the outcome. On Thursday morning my E.E. friend will be demonstrating the revised XOvers of his B&W 801s made using his DEQX for calibration purposes. and we will even compare a new rip of 2 of the previous tracks with the latest ones. The new ones were made with the broadband Modem unplugged.

I hope that you piss your pants laughing !!!

Again, seeing you are so sure, arrange for my claims to be put to the test here in Sydney. I would be happy to bet a couple of bottles of 12yo old Scotch on the outcome. On Thursday morning my E.E. friend will be demonstrating the revised XOvers of his B&W 801s made using his DEQX for calibration purposes. and we will even compare a new rip of 2 of the previous tracks with the latest ones. The new ones were made with the broadband Modem unplugged.

I hope that you piss your pants laughing !!!

Alex,

If I had about half of one of those bottles of Scotch the laughing might have created an accident.

You know very well exactly what procedures would be convincing to almost everyone and anyone. You refuse to initiate those procedures. You can bulk up your list of qualified EE's who in sighted listening confirm your results and it won't improve your level of persuasiveness for those skeptical.

Maybe "qualified EE" is over used.

Has anybody already told you that you can shove further DBTs where the sun doesn't shine ?

I am offering here to have my claims put to the test locally, by the Editorial staff of Silicon Chip magazine, or suitably qualified staff members from Sydney Uni.

I really don't give a damn if a few resident C.A. sceptics don't believe me. It's your loss not mine, just as you will find if you continue to ignore the recent findings by Alex C. who will soon be releasing the John Swenson designed linear PSUs for the Mac Mini, as well as the Audirvana software comparison reports by Alex C and Jud.

If you think my reports are far fetched, then have a peek at the latest posts in Peter St's forum about anti vibration techniques. You really are going to have a lot of spot fires to try and extinguish when Peter's findings also filter down to here.

Smarten up! George REEVES, i.e. Superman, not George Graves!

Sadly, both GRAVES and REEVES have left this forum.

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by
NOMBEDES
viewpost-right.png

They will sound better, but I don't believe they will sound the same unless the design choices become the same. Amplifiers have been around a lot longer and they don't sound the same.

Indeed. But the goal should be that colorization is reduced.