IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

In theory, if power feed is the problem, and your DAC can take SPDIF then you may have gotten around the need for USB power and handshaking. However (Note I'm not an SPDIF guy so someone who knows what they are talking about please chime in), I think you lose the ability to play DSD (if you even care about DSD).

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Not sure u guys did come across this, my situation :

sms-100 option 1 - squeezelite selected

In synology: LMS running, media server running, minimserver running, audio station running.

Control point(andriod) : Use squeezebox - no problem

bubbleupnp - library, choose media server, flac file ok, wav - MIME type error 714, aiff - white noise

at the end of play of each file

Audio station - can see sotm squeezelite but not sotm mpd if chosen

flac file only, wav and aiff weird white noise

Is there anything I can do or I can only accept this situation. I ask this becoz using Audio Station to stream to sotm squeezelite sounds best to my ears.

Just a request for software developers :

If I've well understood, Linn uses OpenHome for multiroom but as well in combination with Songcast to enable to stream audio from computer to their streamers.

As sotm SMS100 is OpenHome compliant from v.1.3, why still can't we stream to the SMS100 computer sound as Linn owners do to their streamers ?...

Is this a development which is in the pipe for v1.4 ?

I think we are a few people to use USB to our DAC to hear our PC to hifi system. We have a SMS and it is somehow a pity to use it only to stream music files only & not any sound from computer. My computer is the starting point of all entertainment (music, web, tv, movies), as many of us, thus such a function becomes straight forward, I think.

Is this so tricky is term of implementation that this functionnality does not exist still ?

Thanks

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

Just a request for software developers :

If I've well understood, Linn uses OpenHome for multiroom but as well in combination with Songcast to enable to stream audio from computer to their streamers.

As sotm SMS100 is OpenHome compliant from v.1.3, why still can't we stream to the SMS100 computer sound as Linn owners do to their streamers ?...

Is this a development which is in the pipe for v1.4 ?

Songcast is a separate system to the OpenHome extensions to UPnP. As far as I have been able to track down, only Linn themselves and Auralic have implemented Songcast.

I don't know the inside details ... but I suspect the UPnP mode of the SMS100 utilises the upmpdcli front end for MPD. This was "upgraded" to offer support for OpenHome extensions in version 0.7.0.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If the SMS100 is using the upmpdcli UPnP media renderer, then there may be hope for future Songcast support. The latest version of upmpdcli 0.9.0 has just added support for Songcast via the sc2mpd auxilliary process, produced by the same developer.

However, there are issues with the current version of sc2mpd in that it apparently has an abnormal delay (10-12 seconds) between the device connecting to Songcast and eventually playing back audio.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

If the SMS100 is using the upmpdcli UPnP media renderer, then there may be hope for future Songcast support. The latest version of upmpdcli 0.9.0 has just added support for Songcast via the sc2mpd auxilliary process, produced by the same developer.

Interesting thank you John

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Not sure u guys did come across this, my situation :

sms-100 option 1 - squeezelite selected

In synology: LMS running, media server running, minimserver running, audio station running.

Control point(andriod) : Use squeezebox - no problem

bubbleupnp - library, choose media server, flac file ok, wav - MIME type error 714, aiff - white noise

at the end of play of each file

Audio station - can see sotm squeezelite but not sotm mpd if chosen

flac file only, wav and aiff weird white noise

Is there anything I can do or I can only accept this situation. I ask this becoz using Audio Station to stream to sotm squeezelite sounds best to my ears.

I had a rather similar problem with the sotm100 : controlpoint JRiverMC19 (or indirect via Jremote on iPad), using its own library or the library from LSM or Minimserver on my Synologynas, using the Sotm100-Squeezelite as renderer. Playing Flac, mp3 was OK but .wav not OK. Wav-tracks did not start and were skipped completely. No error messages.

Also on my Ipad, the Kinsky app or the 8player app could not play .wav to sotm100-squeezelite. Using the sotm100-DLNA-renderer there was no problem with .wav.

Also when I played .wav tracks directly from my Synology LSM to sotm100-squeezelite there was no problem.

This problem has not yet been resolved by Jesus R. I had the Sotm100 only on loan this summer : very nice SQ! With its linear PSU on par with my 2 PC setup with AO-W2012 & Jplay. So after I brought it back, I forgot about the problem. Recently a friend has bought the sotm100. I could ask him if he can reproduce the problem in his setup.

I was reminded of this problem a few days ago when I tested the Daphile (Linux LSM-Squeezelite) player, via a bootable USB-stick on my audio computer : same problem with .wav as with the sotm100-squeezelite! I could only play .wav OK when I used the Daphile-LSM player directly to its squeezelite renderer.

I.M.O. this problem is very likely due to something (bug?) in the squeezelite player? I will ask the Daphile developer's opinion about this problem. I can't help you, but you are not alone with this problem.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

On Songcast: We have been looking into this for some time. However, it's not ready for release. I'll keep you posted should it become available.

On Squeezelite: The Squeezelite mode should only be used in combination with Logitech Media Server. Do not use Squeezelite mode with other DLNA controllers and servers. If you want to use other DLNA controllers and servers switch to DLNA/MPD mode.

Jesus R

Hi!

Although being (a passive) forum member for about two years now this is my first post here… I apologize to ask for some assistance with a problem I have with a newly acquired SMS-100.

I was running a Squeezebox Touch via a John Kenny USB-SPDIF Converter into a Metrum Octave Mk1 DAC with great results in my main system. As a a Squeezebox in a second system died, I decided to move the Touch from the main system to the second one and install a SMS-100 instead I was able to get in almost new condition second hand.

The Problem: Although the SMS-100 "sees" the Converter ("combo 384 amanero" is reported under USB DAC status in sonicorbiter), the DAC gets no signal (indicated by a red LED). With the Touch in place everything works fine …

Software version of SMS-100 is 1.3. Unfortunately I don't have an other converter or DAC to double check the function of the SMS-100.

Does anybody have an idea how to nail down the problem? Kind of incompatibility?

Thanks for your help

Boris

I had a rather similar problem with the sotm100 : controlpoint JRiverMC19 (or indirect via Jremote on iPad), using its own library or the library from LSM or Minimserver on my Synologynas, using the Sotm100-Squeezelite as renderer. Playing Flac, mp3 was OK but .wav not OK. Wav-tracks did not start and were skipped completely. No error messages.

Also on my Ipad, the Kinsky app or the 8player app could not play .wav to sotm100-squeezelite. Using the sotm100-DLNA-renderer there was no problem with .wav.

Also when I played .wav tracks directly from my Synology LSM to sotm100-squeezelite there was no problem.

This problem has not yet been resolved by Jesus R. I had the Sotm100 only on loan this summer : very nice SQ! With its linear PSU on par with my 2 PC setup with AO-W2012 & Jplay. So after I brought it back, I forgot about the problem. Recently a friend has bought the sotm100. I could ask him if he can reproduce the problem in his setup.

I was reminded of this problem a few days ago when I tested the Daphile (Linux LSM-Squeezelite) player, via a bootable USB-stick on my audio computer : same problem with .wav as with the sotm100-squeezelite! I could only play .wav OK when I used the Daphile-LSM player directly to its squeezelite renderer.

I.M.O. this problem is very likely due to something (bug?) in the squeezelite player? I will ask the Daphile developer's opinion about this problem. I can't help you, but you are not alone with this problem.

Hi Peter,

In what mode were you getting this sound quality close to your other system?

thanks

Bob

Hello Boris (paul_cz),

I was in a similar situation when I installed my sMS-100 -- replacing a SBT. I had them both running for a while.

You haven't mentioned the software configuration you have for playing through the sMS-100.

I'll mention one problem that I had that may help you work out what's going on.

I started with sMS s/w v1.2, and found it pretty easy to configure it as a player for LMS running on my audio computer (MBP).

But things went awry with my control app iPeng, when I updated to v1.3. I was having trouble associating the sMS squeezelite player with my usual LMS server.

After some investigation, and advice from Jesus R, I realized that v1.3 introduced LMS as a server, and that this server was running by default. To disable this LMS (which I didn't want -- I want the sMS-100 as a player only) it's necessary to delete the LMSserver app (this moves it the disabled apps section -- it can be re-installed from there if needed).

This brought things back to normal.

Of course this may not be your problem, but it does make the point that there are both software and hardware aspects to introducing a new device, and that you may find your answer by looking at your s/w configuration.

You can check functionality via the other apps, for example if you have an airplay device (iPhone etc). Or the DLNA app will often pick up a running LMS (which usually have DLNA plugin) as a DLNA server.

I'd write Jesus at Sonore. I'll bet he will know the answer and will be happy to help.

Hi!

Although being (a passive) forum member for about two years now this is my first post here… I apologize to ask for some assistance with a problem I have with a newly acquired SMS-100.

I was running a Squeezebox Touch via a John Kenny USB-SPDIF Converter into a Metrum Octave Mk1 DAC with great results in my main system. As a a Squeezebox in a second system died, I decided to move the Touch from the main system to the second one and install a SMS-100 instead I was able to get in almost new condition second hand.

The Problem: Although the SMS-100 "sees" the Converter ("combo 384 amanero" is reported under USB DAC status in sonicorbiter), the DAC gets no signal (indicated by a red LED). With the Touch in place everything works fine …

Software version of SMS-100 is 1.3. Unfortunately I don't have an other converter or DAC to double check the function of the SMS-100.

Does anybody have an idea how to nail down the problem? Kind of incompatibility?

Thanks for your help

Boris

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Continuing to like the SMS-100 but it has a minor quirk with the John Kenny MKIII usb converter. Hearing random pop's and tick's similiar to vinyl playback. The JKMKIII works fine used with PC or connected to Synology NAS. And I have no like symptom using an Ifi Nano as USB converter or as USB DAC connected to the SMS-100. I did see a similar issue described/corrected for Squeezelite by changing some buffer parameters, but no like options found for DLNA setup which is what I use. Curious if anyone has thoughts on how to eliminate the pops and ticks.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hi Peter,

In what mode were you getting this sound quality close to your other system?

thanks

Bob

Hi Bob,

I hooked up the Sotm100 to my 1 Gb network (standard cabling) sending tracks to it via another computer that ran JRiver MC19, using the database of music residing on my NAS (see my profile for details). I mainly listened to the Sotm100 via its DLNA player, because I had some trouble using squeezeplay (see above). Soundwise I did not hear a real difference between the SQlite and DLNA players. I.M.O. the battery PSU was really needed to get a good quiet background and smoother high's. In that way it came very close to my dualPC setup with AO's bare W2012 in core mode (on both computers) playing with JRiver MC19-Asio-Jplay in Xtreme hibernation mode. Only when I used Jplay-mini I noticed that my setup was just a notch better than the Sotm100. My dualPC setup is quite simple without tweaking any hardware (yet), so I can imagine that more money spent in that direction might result in a noticeable better SQ compared to the Sotm100. Yet the Sotm100 did amaze me, certainly taking its price into account. I also did a quick comparison between the Sotm100 and its bigger (and older) brother the Sotm1000. Soundwise the sotm100 wins when compared via my own Minimax DAC (bypassing the SOTM1000 DAC). For my friend (who is not so much into computers) all this was enough reason to buy a Sotm100.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

Im running SqueezeLite and the LMS Server is not running. Unfortunately till now I was not able to get any sound of the SMS-100 / JK Ciunas / Metrum Octave combination. When I use a Squeezebox Touch as source, immediately after boot competition the red light at the dac switches off, indicating that the dac receives a valid signal (even without playing music). With the SMS-100 I did not manage to get the red light switched off yet.

As firedog suggested I might drop Jesus R a line…

Regards

Hello Boris (paul_cz),

I was in a similar situation when I installed my sMS-100 -- replacing a SBT. I had them both running for a while.

You haven't mentioned the software configuration you have for playing through the sMS-100.

I'll mention one problem that I had that may help you work out what's going on.

I started with sMS s/w v1.2, and found it pretty easy to configure it as a player for LMS running on my audio computer (MBP).

But things went awry with my control app iPeng, when I updated to v1.3. I was having trouble associating the sMS squeezelite player with my usual LMS server.

After some investigation, and advice from Jesus R, I realized that v1.3 introduced LMS as a server, and that this server was running by default. To disable this LMS (which I didn't want -- I want the sMS-100 as a player only) it's necessary to delete the LMSserver app (this moves it the disabled apps section -- it can be re-installed from there if needed).

This brought things back to normal.

Of course this may not be your problem, but it does make the point that there are both software and hardware aspects to introducing a new device, and that you may find your answer by looking at your s/w configuration.

You can check functionality via the other apps, for example if you have an airplay device (iPhone etc). Or the DLNA app will often pick up a running LMS (which usually have DLNA plugin) as a DLNA server.

Continuing to like the SMS-100 but it has a minor quirk with the John Kenny MKIII usb converter. Hearing random pop's and tick's similiar to vinyl playback. The JKMKIII works fine used with PC or connected to Synology NAS. And I have no like symptom using an Ifi Nano as USB converter or as USB DAC connected to the SMS-100. I did see a similar issue described/corrected for Squeezelite by changing some buffer parameters, but no like options found for DLNA setup which is what I use. Curious if anyone has thoughts on how to eliminate the pops and ticks.

That device is based on the M2Tech hiFace. If your using Squeezelite output mode try one of the two setups.

Jesus R

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 8.18.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 8.22.05 PM.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Unfortunately, I have a problem with my new sMS-100. I hope someone can help me.

My configuration is:

DAC: TEAC UD-H01

Switch: Netgear GS116

NAS: QNAP TS-119P II

LMS and minimserver are installed on NAS

Music files with sampling rate of 44.1 kHz are working as expected.

But all high-res files (FLAC) do not work. Regardless of sampling rate. Playback starts and the sampling rate is displayed correctly but the music quality is very poor. There are a lot of dropouts. The dropouts are very short but continuously and one after the other. From the first to the last second of playback. Regardless what mode I use, Squeezelite or DLNA mode.

When I connect my win 7 laptop directly to the DAC (via USB) the high-res files works fine.

Thank you for your help.

woku22

Hello

Unfortunately, I have a problem with my new sMS-100. I hope someone can help me.

My configuration is:

DAC: TEAC UD-H01

Switch: Netgear GS116

NAS: QNAP TS-119P II

LMS and minimserver are installed on NAS

Music files with sampling rate of 44.1 kHz are working as expected.

But all high-res files (FLAC) do not work. Regardless of sampling rate. Playback starts and the sampling rate is displayed correctly but the music quality is very poor. There are a lot of dropouts. The dropouts are very short but continuously and one after the other. From the first to the last second of playback. Regardless what mode I use, Squeezelite or DLNA mode.

When I connect my win 7 laptop directly to the DAC (via USB) the high-res files works fine.

Thank you for your help.

woku22

You left out the pieces that will be the problem. What are you using as a controller and a renderer? If this is a PC/MAC, what software are you running and have you followed the software manufacturers recommendations to setup for streaming. Sounds suspiciously like you have buffers set up wrong or network bandwidth/jitter issues

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I'm reading that the batteries need to be replaced in the SoTM optional battery power supply ... not too enticing. Saw this Teradak power supply on Ebay,

[h=1]TeraDak DC-30W-TOUCH DC9V 2.5A Linear Power Supply[/h]

should last forever. Wondering if anyone has already tried one with the SMS100 and what their experience was?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

hi

regarding the LPSU, Mickael from Teradak told me you need a LPSU that can deliver 1.4times at the minimum the amperes that the wall wart psu, simply because LPSU are less efficient by construction.

Personally i use the double output Keces LPSU ffor my sms100, the improvement was rather subjective. That's also what people with the sotm battery are saying. An lpsu is far cheaper than sotm battery.

Teradak is great. I received a 12v13A for my dac, great improvement over the Keces 12v3A. It appears that more the LPSU can deliver high amperes better is the sound, so nicely analogic. Go for it.

Rgds

2.1 basic stuff => 2 mains are Dynaudio Core59 + sub Dynaudio 18s

Actives / digital AES in / active correction on PC side

Passive daddy setup is dead

You left out the pieces that will be the problem. What are you using as a controller and a renderer? If this is a PC/MAC, what software are you running and have you followed the software manufacturers recommendations to setup for streaming. Sounds suspiciously like you have buffers set up wrong or network bandwidth/jitter issues

Thanks for your answer, Dave!

I have a Sqeezebox for many years and the Logitech Media Server is my preferred server. So I did the most tests with the Squeezelite mode of sMS-100.

To control the Logitech Media Server I only use the web interface (on PC).

The same high-res file (88,2 khz) works fine with the Squeezebox but didn't work with the sMS-100. That surprises me. It's the same Logitech Media Server. Did I need special settings for sMS-100?

Regards,

woku22

Can't say I use Squeezebox, but there is some early content in the thread about Squeezebox settings. You may want to read back through the thread and adjust the settings below from the Sonicorbiter setup screen for squeezebox

Buffer Size

Buffer time in ms (leave blank for auto)

Period count

Period count (leave blank for auto)

Sample format

Sample format used by your DAC

Enable mmap

Use MMAP to determine your DAC configuration

Regards,

Dave

Audio system