IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Hope someone can help me out to solve this matter.... Thank You in advance :-)

Chario Aviator Cielo | Norma Audio Revo IPA-70B | Merason frérot + Merason pow1
Volumio Rivo 
+ iFi iPower Elite | Skinbjerg Audio Interconnects + Speaker Cables
Supra Excalibur USB 
| MeiCord Opal + iFi LAN iSilencer | Power Cables 3x1.5 mm²
Ansuz Mainz8 X 
| SD-Feet | Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders | Norstone Stabbl AV

Hi Jesus

I have both AIFF and ALAC files. Some of them are hirez files and some of them 44 kHz sample rates. The files that won´t play have different sample rates and formats. The ones that play also have different sample rates and formats. This is why I´m puzzled!?

I have tried to empty my library and start from the beginning. It´s the same files playing and the ones that are not.

I wonder if some of these are not digitally protected. Anyway, try to run them through XLD and convert them to the original format and sample rate.

Jesus R

I wonder if some of these are not digitally protected. Anyway, try to run them through XLD and convert them to the original format and sample rate.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus

Thanks for trying to help me out ;-)

It´s worth a try. But I Wonder if it will do the trick.

When I use Audirvana and my MacBook the files are playing with no issues at all. But if I use sMS-100 + MacBook running LMS the problem is back? This is what I can´t understand.

If it can play the files via Audirvana. Then LMS shoudn´t be a problem either? What do You think?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Problem solved.

If I convert the files that won´t play from ALAC to AIFF it can play the files via LMS. Thanks Jesus :-)

Unfortunately my troubles aren´t over yet. I have a problem with glitches when music is playing. My dealer and SOtM has agreed to send me a new sMS-100 though. Very good service! Hopefully I can start to enjoy my music after this :-)

BTW. Shouldn´t I be able to play DSD files in version 7.8.1?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Hello Holberg,

Good to see your problem was fixed!

Re the glitches. I have a similar setup (LMS on a Macbook Pro, Squeezelite on the sMS-100).

At first I had continuous crackling-type noises. I resolved this by changing the parameters under squeezelite settings -- buffer size and period count.

Before doing that, I verified that the sMS-100 hardware wasn't the problem by using the DLNA app on the sMS-100 -- I installed minimserver on the MBP, then used the sMS-100 to play from it -- there was no noise. So I focussed my attention on the software -- as above.

Might be worth a try before sending it back ...

hi Jesus,

my SMS-100 has arrived last week. Sounds pretty good with Devialet 200! Only problem that it can not play 192kHz FLAC files properly but slower than the original speed (I gess that it's a half speed).

I'm using LMS from a Synology NAS.

Any idea how to solve the issue?

Hi Jesus,

My SMS-100 just arrived today. Everything seems set up fine.

The issue is whenever I try to set up Squeezelite active in Audio App Switcher, the page shows Squeezelite Active, however, LMS cannot find SMS-100. Upon checking the System Status, it shows Squeezelite is stopped.

No matter how many times I try setting Squeezelite active, System Status shows the service is stopped. I also tried Restart Squeezelite, Reboot SMS-100, none solves the problem. The Squeezelite version is 1.6.3.

Please help as to how to solve the issue. Thanks a lot.

hi Jesus,

my SMS-100 has arrived last week. Sounds pretty good with Devialet 200! Only problem that it can not play 192kHz FLAC files properly but slower than the original speed (I gess that it's a half speed).

I'm using LMS from a Synology NAS.

Any idea how to solve the issue?

All the sample rates have been verified. Play 192 and then go to APPS/Status and post the Momentary Frequency during playback. FYI the unit is not setup to resample anything.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

My SMS-100 just arrived today. Everything seems set up fine.

The issue is whenever I try to set up Squeezelite active in Audio App Switcher, the page shows Squeezelite Active, however, LMS cannot find SMS-100. Upon checking the System Status, it shows Squeezelite is stopped.

No matter how many times I try setting Squeezelite active, System Status shows the service is stopped. I also tried Restart Squeezelite, Reboot SMS-100, none solves the problem. The Squeezelite version is 1.6.3.

Please help as to how to solve the issue. Thanks a lot.

The Squeezelite App will not start and become active on the LMS system until you have a USB device connected to it. FYI some USB devices need to be powered on before you power up the unit.

All the sample rates have been verified. Play 192 and then go to APPS/Status and post the Momentary Frequency during playback. FYI the unit is not setup to resample anything.

Jesus R

It shows "Momentary freq = 44101 Hz (0x5.8338)" if running 192kHz files. All the other sample rates are displayed correctly (96kHz, 88.2kHz etc.)

It shows "Momentary freq = 44101 Hz (0x5.8338)" if running 192kHz files. All the other sample rates are displayed correctly (96kHz, 88.2kHz etc.)

The unit is not set up to re sample and if it were it would resample all incoming rates and it's not. Something else is resampling things. Load LMS and the files on a computer and try things from there....

Jesus R

Hello Holberg,

At first I had continuous crackling-type noises. I resolved this by changing the parameters under squeezelite settings -- buffer size and period count.

I get crackling noises when I stream Internet radio, but not when playing my FLAC files. What buffer size and period count are you using? Mine are at default settings.

Thanks,

Mike

I currently have them set at 10000 and 2500, but as yet I have no convincing rationale for these numbers (still working on that). Other combinations work as well.

I just re-tested with first the default settings and then the numbers above -- the crackling noises are present at default settings, absent when changed.

However I was getting this behaviour for all playback, including FLAC files. If it's just internet radio, the problem may lie in networking to the device??

Sorry, just ignore ;-)

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

One should not need to enter period and buffer values except if you are using devices based on the M2Tech hiFace OEM modules.

Here are some tips on the obtaining good values to try:

Play some hi resolution content and then enter the APPS/Status GUI page and look for the displayed period and buffer values. Then enter the values in the Settings/Squeezelite GUI page and press Save.

Again, most people do not need to enter period and buffer values. Chances are if you have issues it do to something else like the strength of your wifi signal.

Jesus R

Hi

I´m having some difficulties with LMS. I have a MacBook (late 2008) with alle my music files (AIFF) stored at an external harddisk. When Logitech Media Server is set to go through my files everything seems fine. But in the end it just stops after 2-3 hours of going through the files. Problem is that it won´t allow me to use my libary as it isn´t finished with the process?

I have tried to uninstall LMS with no luck this far. It`s the same outcome. Hope some of You guys can give me some advise so that I can enjoy the sMS-100 miniserver.

Thanks in advance :-)

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Someone HELP!

Now LMS won´t start at all?... As in my post in the above I have been trying to uninstall LMS. I have also repaired my discs in the disc utility. Everything seems to run as it´s supposed to. But the Logitech Media Server just won´t connect?

Good advice is very much appreciated.... Thanks in advance ;-)

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Your problem is clearly LMS-specific so you may get more responses on the slimdevices forum.

Nonetheless, I've had LMS running on three Macs (two OS X, one Linux) and not had a problem with either connectivity or library. So I suspect your problem may be with either your disc or size of library, perhaps some files or filenames in the library are causing problems.

I suggest that you set up a small test library, first of all on your internal disc, and get LMS running with that. Install it, start the server from system preferences, connect using "http://localhost:9000" and scan you small library. When that works, try a small library on your external disc.

If all is still ok, try the full library but let the scan run overnight . If that fails, look at the scan logs ("information" tab on "settings" page) to try to see where in the library things are going wrong ...

If it's easier, you can do all this on the Mac by installing LMS 7.8.1 and the Mac program SqueezePlay.

Your problem is clearly LMS-specific so you may get more responses on the slimdevices forum.

Nonetheless, I've had LMS running on three Macs (two OS X, one Linux) and not had a problem with either connectivity or library. So I suspect your problem may be with either your disc or size of library, perhaps some files or filenames in the library are causing problems.

I suggest that you set up a small test library, first of all on your internal disc, and get LMS running with that. Install it, start the server from system preferences, connect using "http://localhost:9000" and scan you small library. When that works, try a small library on your external disc.

If all is still ok, try the full library but let the scan run overnight . If that fails, look at the scan logs ("information" tab on "settings" page) to try to see where in the library things are going wrong ...

If it's easier, you can do all this on the Mac by installing LMS 7.8.1 and the Mac program SqueezePlay.

Thanks for responding.

It is working now. Decided to make a backup of my all files. Deleted my disc in disc utility and made a clean install. It has proved to be a good decision starting all over. No more messing around to find the faults :-)

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Can I play DSD files with LMS 7.8.1/MAC?

If so... How do I set it up in LMS 7.8.1? Or is it automatic detection?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

This version will play DSD/DoP...

Logitech Media Server 7.8.1 for Mac

Jesus R

Hi Jesus

Have downloaded the app. But it does not connect to my DSD files? I own a M2Tech Young DSD DAC and in the display i shows only 44 kHZ?

What to do?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Hi Jesus

Have downloaded the app. But it does not connect to my DSD files? I own a M2Tech Young DSD DAC and in the display i shows only 44 kHZ?

What to do?

I just installed LMS from the link above over. I then selected a .dsf file from my library and streamed DSD/DoP to my DAC without any setup. Everything is working as expected...

Jesus R

I just installed LMS from the link above over. I then selected a .dsf file from my library and streamed DSD/DoP to my DAC without any setup. Everything is working as expected...

Jesus R

Hi Jesus

Strange. The display on my Young DSD shows 44kHZ and doesn´t play DSD even though it´s capable?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X 

Jesus R

Hi Jesus

What DAC do You have?

Volumio Rivo 
Supra Excalibur USB 
Ansuz Mainz8 X