IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Hey Guys - Simple Design / Sonore has just announced the sMS-100 SOtM Mini Server.

Here is some info according to the Simple Design site and some photos. No price listed yet.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The SOtM Mini Server is an audiophile 24/384 music server with Ethernet input and USB output. The SOtM Mini Server automatically shows up on Logitech Media Server (LMS) running on your PC or Mac. It also works with LMS running a Vortexbox appliance or a NAS such as the Synology. Just run LMS, load your library, and LMS automatically outputs to the SOtM Mini Server. It's very simple to use and if you know how to use LMS you already know how to use the SOtM Mini Server.

SOtM-mini-server-rear.jpg

SOtM-mini-server-front-combo.png

SOtM-mini-server-top.jpg

SOtM-mini-server-front.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Wow, sounds like a really interesting device. I expect it to have very good USB sound. Could be a winner for lots of folks, depending on price.

Edit: price is now up: $449

with SOtM battery supply: $849

Sounds to me like a very competitive item in the marketplace for lots of CA readers.

Would be very interesting to compare it to a CAPS with the SOtM card.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just went to website of Simple Design and they are showing a price of $449 and higher price ($849)for battery power supplied model, also lists a long group of features that make this an attractive product to fit into many different environments..mmm.. might have to make a new wish list for Santa..

Man cave Denon 3312ci, Oppo 93, Windows 7 PC, GoldenEar 5.1 Speakers[br]Office Onkyo 797,Sony Sacd Player,Windows 7 PC,PSB Speakers, Sonore SoTM SMS 100, Schiit Magni and Modi, PSB headphones[br]Living Rm Denon 2309ci, Sony 3D Bluray, Pioneer Sacd player, PSB speakers, WD Live Meadia Player[br]Two other rooms with Directv receivers that allow music from PC server setup to TV speakers (at this time)

This product intrigues me. I'm very happy with the performance of my SOtM gear and this might be a nice addition (looks nice too!). That being said, I'm completely intimidated by networking. My Mac mini-based firewire-connected HD is simple and works flawlessly. Can the same be said for a device such as this? Is it really that simple?

Could Sonore / Jesus please clarify some of the details on their website - it lists the new SotM device as having inbuilt linear PSU; but I believe that is a copy & paste, search & replace from the description of their own Orbiter device.

Could they also clarify the description of the volume control if this is more than just the standard LMS volume control which (I understand) works at a server level rather than in the device itself?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

This product intrigues me. I'm very happy with the performance of my SOtM gear and this might be a nice addition (looks nice too!). That being said, I'm completely intimidated by networking. My Mac mini-based firewire-connected HD is simple and works flawlessly. Can the same be said for a device such as this? Is it really that simple?

Melvin, this system is very stable. I may make a YouTube video to show the system...

Jesus R

Could Sonore / Jesus please clarify some of the details on their website - it lists the new SotM device as having inbuilt linear PSU; but I believe that is a copy & paste, search & replace from the description of their own Orbiter device.

Could they also clarify the description of the volume control if this is more than just the standard LMS volume control which (I understand) works at a server level rather than in the device itself?

Eloise

Eloise, there were three lines in error on the webpage. The webpage has been updated and the checkout service re-enabled. The volume control is built into LMS and works seamlessly with the server.

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...

So.. for those of us (maybe only me) who aren't sure about where this fits into the overall scheme in a digital playback system, can someone point me in the right direction for further research, reviews. etc.. It seems to me that you still need another device to make this work within the analogue world we all live (and hear) in.. I am guessing that some sort of usb dac to analog output device needs to be acquired also to make this work ?? Not sure and also wondering if anyone has purchased this product and what their thoughts are on the performance, ease of us, integration into the playback role, etc

is??

Thanks..

PS.. Santa is waiting to see what the final tally is on this (hopeful) purchase..

Man cave Denon 3312ci, Oppo 93, Windows 7 PC, GoldenEar 5.1 Speakers[br]Office Onkyo 797,Sony Sacd Player,Windows 7 PC,PSB Speakers, Sonore SoTM SMS 100, Schiit Magni and Modi, PSB headphones[br]Living Rm Denon 2309ci, Sony 3D Bluray, Pioneer Sacd player, PSB speakers, WD Live Meadia Player[br]Two other rooms with Directv receivers that allow music from PC server setup to TV speakers (at this time)

So.. for those of us (maybe only me) who aren't sure about where this fits into the overall scheme in a digital playback system, can someone point me in the right direction for further research, reviews. etc.. It seems to me that you still need another device to make this work within the analogue world we all live (and hear) in.. I am guessing that some sort of usb dac to analog output device needs to be acquired also to make this work ?? Not sure and also wondering if anyone has purchased this product and what their thoughts are on the performance, ease of us, integration into the playback role, etc

is??

Thanks..

PS.. Santa is waiting to see what the final tally is on this (hopeful) purchase..

Taking a look at your signature I noticed that you have a Logitech Touch. This unit replaces the Logitech Touch and gives you USB Audio output. You would need a USB DAC or USB digital interface for playback.

Jesus R

Thanks for the quick reply Jesus... I had a feeling that what I saw from the first announcement on this site was just irrational thinking on my part that this one product would solve a issue I was having in my Man cave setup.. no easy access to my newly digitized CD collection..

Yes I do have a Touch and that is serving me well in my office setup ( in fact I am listening to it while I type this) but the SOtm Mini Server was my hope for another room..

Ah well.. guess Santa will have to reach deeper to get me two products .. the SOtm Mini and some not yet decided upon USB DAC device.. more research and more questions to come I guess

• 2 months later...
Hi,

It´s possible to set the SqueezeLite service to ACTIVE state on every reboot ?

On my sMS-100, SqueezeLite is always OFF on a reboot of the system.

I must connecting to webpage to turn it ON.

Maybe i miss something.

Regards

Toufik

The SqueezeLite application is set to run on boot. However, it requires that you have a USB device connected and ready to go when the unit boots. If your doing that and it is not coming up on boot then your DAC has some strange feature like sleep mode and you will have to press the button.

Jesus R

I can look into this for you, but I don't see how that is your problem. Restarting the app would not resolve this. You can email direct at [email protected]

Jesus R

I send you an e-mail.

I know reboot not solve the problem.

I want to Know if possible to force squeezelite to start on boot

even sms-100 can not get Time from internet.

to resume :

sms-100 get Time from internet : squeezelite start at boot.

sms-100 can not get time from internet : squeezelite not start at boot

regards

Toufik

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - This product is very interesting. I have a couple of questions:

How does it work with DACs which have an asynchronous USB input? For example a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, (which needs a custom driver for windows).

Do you have to use LMS? Or can it also be configured as a UPnP client - I would prefer the latter as that way I could use JRiver as a server and JRemote. If so, will it play gaplessly?

Thanks

Hi - This product is very interesting. I have a couple of questions:

How does it work with DACs which have an asynchronous USB input? For example a Benchmark DAC2 HGC, (which needs a custom driver for windows).

Do you have to use LMS? Or can it also be configured as a UPnP client - I would prefer the latter as that way I could use JRiver as a server and JRemote. If so, will it play gaplessly?

Thanks

No issues with asynchronous USB devices. The official output mode "Squeezelite" uses LMS and is gapless, supports internet radio and streaming services. The unit also has a UPNP output mode that is in bata. The final feature set for the bata apps has not been set.

Jesus R

No issues with asynchronous USB devices. The official output mode "Squeezelite" uses LMS and is gapless, supports internet radio and streaming services. The unit also has a UPNP output mode that is in bata. The final feature set for the bata apps has not been set.

Jesus R

Thanks. I very much hope the UPnP output mode will support gapless - perhaps you would post again here when it is finalised and out of beta, as I would then be very interested in a unit. I was a great fan of LMS and iPeng in the past - and still use it for Spotity etc - but find that JRiver and JRemote is considerably nicer to use.

One other question: If you were using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC would you rather use a Sonore Mini Server and USB or a Sonore Rendu and SPDIF?

Thanks. I very much hope the UPnP output mode will support gapless - perhaps you would post again here when it is finalised and out of beta, as I would then be very interested in a unit. I was a great fan of LMS and iPeng in the past - and still use it for Spotity etc - but find that JRiver and JRemote is considerably nicer to use.

One other question: If you were using a Benchmark DAC2 HGC would you rather use a Sonore Mini Server and USB or a Sonore Rendu and SPDIF?

I'll be sure and let you know. I have a lot of customers that love LMS and I think it's great. LMS is very robust in this application and part of the success of the product. JRiver and JRemote are great as well, but it's for a different application.

The SOtM Mini Server, SOtM Mini Server and SOtM battery supply, and Sonore Rendu are in three different price points and you have to factor that in. If DSD is an important feature for you the Rendu has very good support for DSD/DoP via SPDIF output and your DAC supports this. The SOtM Mini Server has support for DSD/DoP via USB output, but only with a modified Vortexbox. If your primary interest is PCM then both will do the trick.

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just got the SOtM Mini Server from Jesus and Simple Designs. As everyone says, Jesus is great to work with, super responsive and helpful. I also have on order a Rendu, but it may be a couple of weeks or so before I get it due to the holidays. The Mini Server as advertised is really plug and play if you already use LMS (and have an async USB input). I am using the USB input on both my Oppo 105 and (primarily) a McIntosh C50 preamp. It immediately upon plugging in was recognized by LMS under the "Squeezelite" player choice. So far sounds great, will do some non-rigorous AB testing of it compared to a Squeezebox Touch with EDO, and when it arrives, the SPDIF output from the Rendu.

Best regards and happy holidays,

Mark