IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

If you are using MPD/DLNA mode, go into the SonicOrbiter web page under settings and re-start the MPD/DLNA processes by hitting the "save changes" button. This will show a message "MPD/DLNA reconfigured and restarted."

It takes less than a second to complete on my SMS-100. I do this from my Ipad all the time. No need to re-boot.

Yup. Just tried. Restarting squeezelite seems to do it just fine. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the driver doesn't quite work work the esoteric in high res. It plays, but there were stutters amd glitches. Haven't played with buffer yet. Will try. Back to using the ddc for now.

Yup. Just tried. Restarting squeezelite seems to do it just fine. Thanks.

Unfortunately, it also seems that the driver doesn't quite work work the esoteric in high res. It plays, but there were stutters amd glitches. Haven't played with buffer yet. Will try. Back to using the ddc for now.

What output mode?

Jesus R

Squeeze lite, asynchronous, high speed

Start playback of a hi-res file. Then go to the GUI APPS/System Status page to obtain the buffer and period values. Then go to the GUI Settings/Squeezelite page and enter the buffer and period values. Press Save to submit the values and test playback.

Jesus R

Announcement:: Effective immediately the SOtM sMS-100 is now discontinued. Production has stopped and inventory is down to single digits. I will keep you informed should SOtM develop a replacement.

In the mean time have arranged for a Sonic Orbiter based unit with an Atom processor and SOtM USB output card. An optional Asus digital output card is also available. This unit boots up very fast and has new applications such as built in BubbleUPNP Server, supports Linn Song Cast streaming and supports Native DSD streaming.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

Can you send a link to the presentation page of your replacement proposal?

I hope this means a big update is coming ;o)

I guess you'll let us know when ready!

Regards,

Charles

Announcement:: Effective immediately the SOtM sMS-100 is now discontinued. Production has stopped and inventory is down to single digits. I will keep you informed should SOtM develop a replacement.

In the mean time have arranged for a Sonic Orbiter based unit with an Atom processor and SOtM USB output card. An optional Asus digital output card is also available. This unit boots up very fast and has new applications such as built in BubbleUPNP Server, supports Linn Song Cast streaming and supports Native DSD streaming.

Jesus R

So disappointed! Any reason?

The hardware is the issue as all the available motherboards in this form factor have been exhausted. We are looking for a suitable replacement in that form factor, but understand that it will take time. The Sonic Orbiter software project is continuing forward and moving it to the new platform will support that effort.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

Can you send a link to the presentation page of your replacement proposal?

I hope this means a big update is coming ;o)

I guess you'll let us know when ready!

Regards,

Charles

You can find information on the Sonore Sonic Orbiter here

As noted above this unit already has some cool new features and I'm always looking to add more. We (Sonore and SOtM) are individual and collectively working on new products all the time and I'll post any updates as they make themselves available.

Jesus R

The hardware is the issue as all the available motherboards in this form factor have been exhausted. We are looking for a suitable replacement in that form factor, but understand that it will take time. The Sonic Orbiter software project is continuing forward and moving it to the new platform will support that effort.

Jesus R

Any chance the next iteration will have a USB 3.0 or I2S connection for DAC ?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Why do you need USB 3.0? I could get behind a Sonic Orbiter type product with i2s output, but not at a 1K price point. Yes, I could drop a card in that adds i2s output, but there is no point in it if it doesn't sound good. If you really want i2s our Rendu has a fantastic i2s output.

Jesus R

Why do I want a port that's the current USB standard (comes with all new gear) and has 10x the bandwidth of USB 2.0... whats not obvious here about future proofing?

The fact that I don't find it necessary. Sorry, but I have other features on the radar.

Jesus R

Start playback of a hi-res file. Then go to the GUI APPS/System Status page to obtain the buffer and period values. Then go to the GUI Settings/Squeezelite page and enter the buffer and period values. Press Save to submit the values and test playback.

Jesus R

Thanks. Will try. Cheers.

Seems I've missed the boat here! I've been eyeing this w/ battery pack as a Squeezebox Touch replacement. It's gotten such great reviews all over the web. The price is very good and the form factor is nice too. Are there any left in stock? And will the other units in the series still be made? I'm thinking of the DAC/Headamp and the USB-SPDIF converter.

Jesus R

Seems I've missed the boat here! I've been eyeing this w/ battery pack as a Squeezebox Touch replacement. It's gotten such great reviews all over the web. The price is very good and the form factor is nice too. Are there any left in stock? And will the other units in the series still be made? I'm thinking of the DAC/Headamp and the USB-SPDIF converter.

They sold out this weekend and I'm actually surprised they didn't sell out sooner. I'm working with SOtM on the next step, but its going to take time. The other units in the series are still being made and in stock.

Jesus R

Thanks, it's a great form factor I hope they come up with a replacement. I'd like to see TIDAL integration. I think that would be amazing.

They sold out this weekend and I'm actually surprised they didn't sell out sooner. I'm working with SOtM on the next step, but its going to take time. The other units in the series are still being made and in stock.

Jesus R

Native? Or with that ickStream Squeeebox thing, which I don't see as very elegant.... but if TIDAL is supported than I'm really kicking myself for not buying one of these!! PM if one of your units needs another home :)

Tidal is already supported...

Jesus R

USB 3.0 may not be what you really want. The increase in speed is because its not really serial anymore i.e. it has parallel serial data lines :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Jesus R

Ok. I tried buffer values copied from that page and from 20000 to as high as 200000, and 192/24 still stutters. It stutters less but still does. What can I do?

Interesting thing is that it doesn't have these problems with the ifi ddc. It's only with the esoteric which it recognizes and plays normal lossless ok.

Thanks.

Ok. I tried buffer values copied from that page and from 20000 to as high as 200000, and 192/24 still stutters. It stutters less but still does. What can I do?

Interesting thing is that it doesn't have these problems with the ifi ddc. It's only with the esoteric which it recognizes and plays normal lossless ok.

Thanks.

This usually fixes this for people, but no telling what Esoteric is doing. You have to enter the buffer and the period as shown during playback. After you enter the buffer and the period and start playback you may get another value for both of them. Try the new value. BTW guessing the values will not usually work. Also, do not use this method with DACs that otherwise play fine.

JR

You can find information on the Sonore Sonic Orbiter here

As noted above this unit already has some cool new features and I'm always looking to add more. We (Sonore and SOtM) are individual and collectively working on new products all the time and I'll post any updates as they make themselves available.

Jesus R

Any chance of selling Sonic Orbiter Licenses? I built an Atom based CAPS Topanga+ and would happily move to a lightweight Linux/Sonic Orbiter setup without rebuilding an ATOM machine.

• 3 weeks later...

Will support for the sms100 continue in terms of firmware/software improvement?

Jesus R