IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Everybody can find what is looking for with the SOtM : that's a big deal !

Massimiliano : you are right, JRiver/JRemote is great to manage a collection : a lot of possibilities, but JRiver is only PC and MAC. Linux development is not a priority so no NAS at this time. For me music on a NAS (with or without server) is a must. I don't want a PC or a MAC.

Jesus : I'm not as confident as you in the plenty of good apps. For me a good app is a mix of good possibilities, good aesthetic and easy to use. I tried most of them. You like Audionet : I hate it (too hugly, and not easy to use), BubbleUpnP : the best on android system but nos as good than Jremote. Jremote is great but need Jriver (do you know that with DSD, Jrier is loosing a lot of dynamic...perhaps not so good than others).

Seen from me, the best are the Lumin one and Ipeng7. Everybody can have a idea on that. No issue from my side.

If I was able to install LMS7.8 or 7.9 on my NAS with DSD capability and no more issue on AIFF it could have been great, that's why I was enthusistic whan you released LMS on SOtM.

So SOtM is great and removing "mounting capability" would be a big problem for me. So if could distract most of your customers perhaps I need to see somewhere else :-) . Thanks a lot for the great development and support you are doing on this great product.

To say Audionet is not easy to use is ridiculous. Sorry, but that APP is very simple to use. To say that JRiver is loosing a lot of dynamics and not so good compared to others is even more ridiculous. Sorry, but maybe you don't have it set up correctly. I can accept your opinion, but not when it's misleading people...

Jesus R

hi patatorz,

if you want the server to be on the nas, you have minimserver. it can stream dsd now (i think... i do not have dsd...). Then use thru the sotm in dlna with the app you want. Too simple.

rgds

This is a great suggestion and it would work perfectly with DSD and PCM...

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

I was able to use Drive Mounter and read external USB drive attached to sms-100, but I discovered not knowing how that the drive is not readable anymore...

So I went to Drive Mounter settings to check them and saw three "pre-defined" partitions when trying to select one under "Drive device name" :

- /dev/sdb1/200 Mo - ext2

- /dev/sdb2 - 500M - swap

- /dev/sdb3 - 4Go - ext4

My drive is a single NTFS partitioned drive...

I also noticed there's some old information I keyed yesterday for test purpose that I can't erase from SMB settings,

I tried to uninstall / reboot / re-install... With ne effect.

Is there any option to blank all these crappy settings ?

Thank you for your answer,

Hi Jesus,

I was able to use Drive Mounter and read external USB drive attached to sms-100, but I discovered not knowing how that the drive is not readable anymore...

So I went to Drive Mounter settings to check them and saw three "pre-defined" partitions when trying to select one under "Drive device name" :

- /dev/sdb1/200 Mo - ext2

- /dev/sdb2 - 500M - swap

- /dev/sdb3 - 4Go - ext4

My drive is a single NTFS partitioned drive...

I also noticed there's some old information I keyed yesterday for test purpose that I can't erase from SMB settings,

I tried to uninstall / reboot / re-install... With ne effect.

Is there any option to blank all these crappy settings ?

Thank you for your answer,

Go to the USB Mount section, select None for the Drive Device Name and then Save. Disconnect the drive. Reboot and when the unit comes up again connect the drive and select the partition in the drop down menu that you want to mount.

Jesus R

I hope one will not add too much unnecessarily features to SOTM-100. It is a small machine and does not have powerful computing power. One should make sure all render features rock stable. Adding server functions to this small machine may overload the machine.

hi patatorz,

if you want the server to be on the nas, you have minimserver. it can stream dsd now (i think... i do not have dsd...). Then use thru the sotm in dlna with the app you want. Too simple.

rgds

hello Tgb, thanks a lot for your suggestion. It is already one of the configuration I use : minimserver on the Synology with an iPad app (LUMIN). You are right it is great.

the other, with the support of Jesus R, is LMS/squeezelite and iPeng. It is just a matter of app.

Jesus, be cool :-) I don't think I'm a misleading people and it is your opinion. Concerning Jriver it was the case, trust me when they released the v19. Perhaps it is not the case now, I did not check as I'm not using it anymore.

I spend time on these systems, you introduced great features and support and i try to help you in testing like for the SMB.

Let us know what you think about LUMIN app and Lightning DS from Auralic in open home configuration if you had time to test.

best regards

I hope one will not add too much unnecessarily features to SOTM-100. It is a small machine and does not have powerful computing power. One should make sure all render features rock stable. Adding server functions to this small machine may overload the machine.

The unit has plenty of power and the output modes are all based on the proven software. The unit's APP Switcher only allows you to run one output mode at a time switching off the other APPs not in direct use. Also, the Software Manager installs and uninstalls APPs as needed so you can configure the unit in whatever manner you want. Also, you can opt out of the updates. However, the features are added for specific reasons. For examples: LMS adds local radio and streaming services to the unit and USB Mounter allow DSD and PCM playback via LMS.

Jesus R

Go to the USB Mount section, select None for the Drive Device Name and then Save. Disconnect the drive. Reboot and when the unit comes up again connect the drive and select the partition in the drop down menu that you want to mount.

Jesus R

Did work, Thank you Jesus

I'm not recommending the Lumin or the Auralic Lightning APPs at this time, I'm just trying them out of curiosity. The average user will not need or want to mount anything to the unit. I'm saying this for the benefit of potential customers because I don't want all the mounting talk to distract them from the real purpose of the unit.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus. Just let me add that I think Lumit benefict a lot from Minimserver and folder navegation.

Search on Lumin is also cool...

The unit has plenty of power and the output modes are all based on the proven software. The unit's APP Switcher only allows you to run one output mode at a time switching off the other APPs not in direct use. Also, the Software Manager installs and uninstalls APPs as needed so you can configure the unit in whatever manner you want. Also, you can opt out of the updates. However, the features are added for specific reasons. For examples: LMS adds local radio and streaming services to the unit and USB Mounter allow DSD and PCM playback via LMS.

Jesus R

Thank you for your work Jesus

Personaly i use daphile as server on a nuc in combination with Ipeng7.

- excellent sound with my PS Audio DS DAC

- faster than Jremote

- DSD compatible

- Qobuz plugin

- webradios

- i can stream anywhere with my iphone and the same app, including qobuz

Continues to refine the software, it's amazing !

Thank you for your work Jesus

Personaly i use daphile as server on a nuc in combination with Ipeng7.

- excellent sound with my PS Audio DS DAC

- faster than Jremote

- DSD compatible

- Qobuz plugin

- webradios

- i can stream anywhere with my iphone and the same app, including qobuz

Continues to refine the software, it's amazing !

Thanks for your comments. The SOtM's LMS / SqueezeLite output mode combination has the same features. In addition, the unit also has other selectable output modes and features. However, understand that this is a finished product in a series with a matching battery power supply, USB converter and headphone DAC/AMP. Nothing wrong with your DIY project, but it's not for everyone and not the topic of conversation in this post.

Jesus R

Thanks for your comments. The SOtM's LMS / SqueezeLite output mode combination has the same features. In addition, the unit also has other selectable output modes and features. However, understand that this is a finished product in a series with a matching battery power supply, USB converter and headphone DAC/AMP. Nothing wrong with your DIY project, but it's not for everyone and not the topic of conversation in this post.

Jesus R

I use Daphile as server in combination with the combo SMS-100/battery as player (silver SOTM USB cable). I think its's interesting to know that it works for DSD as well. In my perception SQ is better than LMS on my Synology NAS or NUC/Windows.

I have to test LMS on the SMS but i always understood that the sound was better if LMS and Squeezelite were on different machine.

What's your opinion ?

Many thanks

I use Daphile as server in combination with the combo SMS-100/battery as player (silver SOTM USB cable). I think its's interesting to know that it works for DSD as well. In my perception SQ is better than LMS on my Synology NAS or NUC/Windows.

I have to test LMS on the SMS but i always understood that the sound was better if LMS and Squeezelite were on different machine.

What's your opinion ?

Many thanks

I don't think we have discussed Daphile compatibility with the sMS-100 here yet, but thanks for bringing it up. LMS on Daphile and LMS on Sonic Orbiter both have DSD capabilities and both use SqueezeLite. Therefore, Daphile can be used in combination with Sonic Orbiter on the sMS-100. I also have a version of LMS with DSD capabilities for use on a Mac. As for ways to improve sound quality....I don't judge these things and nothing surprises anymore.

Jesus R

Patatorz's unit has been fixed. I'm expecting only a few units to have this update issue and if yours does contact me via email so I can assist you.

Jesus R

Thanks Jesus R, you have fixed my unit as well! Your customer support is second to none.

v

has anyone used this into an NAD M51? I only ask becaues I know the M51 doesn't work with some standard interfaces (it never would work with the EDO SB Touch.)

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

has anyone used this into an NAD M51? I only ask becaues I know the M51 doesn't work with some standard interfaces (it never would work with the EDO SB Touch.)

I looked around and it seems that it needs a certain version of the Linux Kernel. We have a new version of the Kernel compared to what was specified in the post I read. However, I can't be sure either way since I have not worked on that device...

Jesus R

I looked around and it seems that it needs a certain version of the Linux Kernel. We have a new version of the Kernel compared to what was specified in the post I read. However, I can't be sure either way since I have not worked on that device...

Jesus R

Edit: Thanks Jesus. How about the Auralic Vega?

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Jesus R

I assume the same issue will apply to the Chord Hugo if you want to use the HD usb port (obviously you can't load the Chord Windows or Apple drivers). Chord tell me there are Linux drivers but it depends on the kernel version.

Has anyone successfully used an SMS100 with a Chord Hugo into its HD port?

I assume the same issue will apply to the Chord Hugo if you want to use the HD usb port (obviously you can't load the Chord Windows or Apple drivers). Chord tell me there are Linux drivers but it depends on the kernel version.

Has anyone successfully used an SMS100 with a Chord Hugo into its HD port?

The Chord Hugo is supported.

Jesus R

The Chord Hugo is supported.

Jesus R

Jesus,

Many thanks for such a quick reply, especially as it's good news! I'm not really into computers and there aren't many streamers without DACs. The SOTM SMS-100 seems to be a very cost effective solution to feeding the Hugo from a NAS. I'll let you know how I get on.