IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

Will support for the sms100 continue in terms of firmware/software improvement?

I just bought the sms-100 and I'm happy about it. I also wish that firmware /software updates will be available for sometime.

« Information is not knowledge / Knowledge is not wisdom / Wisdom is not truth / Truth is not beauty / Beauty is not love / Love is not music / MUSIC IS THE BEST. » FZ

How does the Drive Mounter APP work? I wanted to use this app to mount an external USB drive (1TB) to the SMS100 containing music files. Will the SMS100 play the songs in that external USB drive?

USB Drive Mounting Tips:

1. Connect the drive and then turn the unit on.

2. In /Settings/Drive Mounter select your attached drive and enter the following path in Mount Folder Name:

/music/flac

3. Avoid disconnecting the drive with the unit on.

4. If you want to remove the mount select None from the device list and then Save Changes.

5. Avoid mounting multiple drives to avoid confusion.

6. Always keep a backup of your content in a safe place.

Jesus R

Hey Jesus...

I have also a few questions about the Drive-Mounter.

I use the SMS100's Ethernet Input from the NAS and the first of the three USB-Ports as Output to the DAC.

When using a external HDD, does it matter which of the USB Ports i use as input?

Is there a way to fill the HDD with Music (over Ethernet) while attached,

or do i have to unplug the Ethernet?

Thanks, Tom.

Hi Everybody,

I am new to CAS and please excuse me for bad English for not being a native speaker.

I got the SMS100 last week and it is an amazing unit. Sound is good and easy to config and control. I set it up in Squzeelite mode and also UPnP mode and worked well. All my music files are stored in a Synology DS211j and it can be accessed from my network and SMS100.

For various reasons I decided to install the LMS7.8 package on SMS100 and it worked. I mounted the music folder on NAS to the SMS100 and I can access the mounted drive from LMS and the library is scanned completely. However suddenly today I cannot access the folder and the Disk Mounter just cannot mount the folder to SMS-100. I did not change any setting but I just realized that the Synology DSM 5.1 has been updated to update5 today. So I wonder if it has anything to do with this and up to this moment I still cannot mount the folder. Would anyone please help and see if any ideas on this issue? Thanks guys!

Hey Jesus...

I have also a few questions about the Drive-Mounter.

I use the SMS100's Ethernet Input from the NAS and the first of the three USB-Ports as Output to the DAC.

When using a external HDD, does it matter which of the USB Ports i use as input?

Is there a way to fill the HDD with Music (over Ethernet) while attached,

or do i have to unplug the Ethernet?

Thanks, Tom.

Any port is fine. The software is not setup to support that feature.

Jesus R

Hi Everybody,

I am new to CAS and please excuse me for bad English for not being a native speaker.

I got the SMS100 last week and it is an amazing unit. Sound is good and easy to config and control. I set it up in Squzeelite mode and also UPnP mode and worked well. All my music files are stored in a Synology DS211j and it can be accessed from my network and SMS100.

For various reasons I decided to install the LMS7.8 package on SMS100 and it worked. I mounted the music folder on NAS to the SMS100 and I can access the mounted drive from LMS and the library is scanned completely. However suddenly today I cannot access the folder and the Disk Mounter just cannot mount the folder to SMS-100. I did not change any setting but I just realized that the Synology DSM 5.1 has been updated to update5 today. So I wonder if it has anything to do with this and up to this moment I still cannot mount the folder. Would anyone please help and see if any ideas on this issue? Thanks guys!

Email sent.

Jesus R

Had to shut down the device, now when i try to connect via browser using the address "http://sonicorbiter.com/my/" i get this message:

"I cannot connect to the database because: Access denied for user 'vortexbox'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Have already disconnected and connected again but the problem persists.

Probably its easily fixable but i haven't figured it out yet.

Any ideas?

In the beginning God made 'the light.'

Shortly thereafter God made three big mistakes.

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

I just installed the update.

Everything still running with my DS214se.

The Patchlog says "Fixed a vulnerability that could allow unauthorized access to the shared folders via SMB protocol".

Maybe you need to adjust the rights for the shared folder.

Also it is important to shut down the sms100 manually when having a ext. drive attached.

Had to shut down the device, now when i try to connect via browser using the address "http://sonicorbiter.com/my/" i get this message:

"I cannot connect to the database because: Access denied for user 'vortexbox'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Have already disconnected and connected again but the problem persists.

Probably its easily fixable but i haven't figured it out yet.

Any ideas?

Try this instead:

mySonicorbiter

Jesus R

Try this instead:

mySonicorbiter

Jesus R

Something very strange must happened, now i get this:

Your Sonicorbiter is at IP address

No Sonicorbiter found

On the other hand, i can't see any light glowing in the inside of the unit, only the green power dim is lighted...

The first mistake was called MAN, the second mistake was called WO-MAN, and the third mistake was the invention of THE POODLE.

Something very strange must happened, now i get this:

Your Sonicorbiter is at IP address

No Sonicorbiter found

On the other hand, i can't see any light glowing in the inside of the unit, only the green power dim is lighted...

It's not booting up then.

Jesus R

It's not booting up then.

Jesus R

OK. Any other solution than just sent it back to the dealer?

What could possibly be the reason for not booting up?

Sounds like the operating system is corrupt. Yes, contact your dealer.

Jesus R

Thank you.

I'm the new owner of a used sMS-100. It is working great, though I discovered it cannot drive my KEF X300A digital speakers. Playback simply does not proceed at any sampling rate or bit depth. This is apparently due to lack of ALSA driver support for the unusual USB receiver chip used in the X300A. sMS-100 is one of three Linux-based renderers I have that do not work with X300A.

My question is: will there be a FW update for the sMS-100 that updates the Linux kernel (and ALSA USB driver) revision to gain support for X300A?

I'm the new owner of a used sMS-100. It is working great, though I discovered it cannot drive my KEF X300A digital speakers. Playback simply does not proceed at any sampling rate or bit depth. This is apparently due to lack of ALSA driver support for the unusual USB receiver chip used in the X300A. sMS-100 is one of three Linux-based renderers I have that do not work with X300A.

My question is: will there be a FW update for the sMS-100 that updates the Linux kernel (and ALSA USB driver) revision to gain support for X300A?

It doesn't have a Mac USB driver either. KEF would need to provide the Linux driver before we can take any action to support it.

Jesus R

SOtM was able to make 3 more units with parts we provided. I have decided to blow them out in a combo deal with a matching SOtM power supply for 450 USD.

COMBO DEAL: Buy a SOtM mini server and get a matching SOtM battery supply for free! Shipping fees apply and while supplies last....

SOtM Ultimate High Performance Audio

Jesus R

SOtM was able to make 3 more units with parts we provided. I have decided to blow them out in a combo deal with a matching SOtM power supply for 450 USD.

COMBO DEAL: Buy a SOtM mini server and get a matching SOtM battery supply for free! Shipping fees apply and while supplies last....

Jesus R

Pm sent

Update...

COMBO DEALS:

Buy a SOtM mini server and get a matching SOtM battery supply for free!

or

Buy a SOtM mini server and get a matching SOtM converter for free!

Shipping fees apply and while supplies last....

Jesus R

Still think you should make a server/streamer with USB output that is a "highest end" audiophile unit.

I think most of us have USB as our main transport mechanism these days, and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. I2S is unlikely to become an input for DACs from additonal companies to the small number already doing it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

They do, look at his web site.

Still think you should make a server/streamer with USB output that is a "highest end" audiophile unit.

I think most of us have USB as our main transport mechanism these days, and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon. I2S is unlikely to become an input for DACs from additonal companies to the small number already doing it.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz