IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

I have a problem with my sMS-100 which is connected to an Audiolab M-DAC. I have to power on my M-DAC before I power on the sMS-100 otherwise the sMS-100 will not "connect" to the M-DAC. If I power on the sMS-100 first, I have to restart the Squeezelite app.

Is that "by design" or can it be fix'ed?

I have a problem with my sMS-100 which is connected to an Audiolab M-DAC. I have to power on my M-DAC before I power on the sMS-100 otherwise the sMS-100 will not "connect" to the M-DAC. If I power on the sMS-100 first, I have to restart the Squeezelite app.

Is that "by design" or can it be fix'ed?

That is how it works with some USB devices. Not all USB devices though...

Jesus R

Another question. Is it possible to use an access point to make it wireless?

Regards /Sven

I'm now using mine with ethernet-over-power, but at first I had it setup from an access point (configured to extend the home network ie the sMS-100 was able to get its address from the DHCP server on my ADSL modem/router). In my case it worked, but it is of course dependent on wireless network performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Stop press: Sonore MiniServer V2 pre-release..

Mode #1 Sonos output mode

Mode #2 Airplay and Spotify Connect mode

Mode #3 MPD/DLNA mode

Mode #4 NAA mode

All selectable and controllable from our wonderful new app!

(Audiophile version also in development based on the CAPS4)

....looking for beta testers!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ We are allowed to dream here on CA right?

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Stop press: Sonore MiniServer V2 pre-release..

Mode #1 Sonos output mode

Mode #2 Airplay and Spotify Connect mode

Mode #3 MPD/DLNA mode

Mode #4 NAA mode

All selectable and controllable from our wonderful new app!

(Audiophile version also in development based on the CAPS4)

....looking for beta testers!

So there is no LMS output mode?

What is this all about? I couldn't find anything other than your post when I searched the Internet, Sonore had nothing about it on their website. Is this an update to their Sonic Orbiter or the SMS-100?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Guys he's blowing steam. This is not a real thing.

So there is no LMS output mode?

What is this all about? I couldn't find anything other than your post when I searched the Internet, Sonore had nothing about it on their website. Is this an update to their Sonic Orbiter or the SMS-100?

Yes I'm blowing steam.

My apologies

Just frustrated with the lack of a half decent "universal" streamer and the complete lack of anyone in the industry providing customers what the really want:

I blame Sonos entirely for the lack of this development. Not Sonore.

Sorry. My apologies :)

Decided to give the SMS100 a shot for 2 reasons (a) I'd prefer to put the $1k I don't spend buying an Aries into a decent DSD DAC with USB (b) not too painful to resell it if not happy. Liking it so far, low bass is better than the Oppo, it supports Openhome so Kinsky works well for controller and with the Nano IDSD

I can play DSD using Minimserver. The Nano actually sounds better than the JKMKIII I have for USB converter connected to the SMS 100 and feeding Metrum Octave.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Decided to give the SMS100 a shot for 2 reasons (a) I'd prefer to put the $1k I don't spend buying an Aries into a decent DSD DAC with USB (b) not too painful to resell it if not happy. Liking it so far, low bass is better than the Oppo, it supports Openhome so Kinsky works well for controller and with the Nano IDSD

I can play DSD using Minimserver. The Nano actually sounds better than the JKMKIII I have for USB converter connected to the SMS 100 and feeding Metrum Octave.

Gapless as well?

Yes, gapless also. Nice to be able to use Kinsky with full playlist functionality. Shows up as room SOTM DLNA

and you choose device = playlist vs SOTM DLNA

Very nice! So Kinsky controller, Minimserver and SMS100 as renderer is another gapless solution.

Are you using a Synology NAS? Did you get Synology Media Server to do gapless with the SMS100? How about huge files >15min songs, any issues?

Thanks.

Just an update, I use SMS100 with the battery PS as the NAA for HQPlayer and it works wonderfully. Software updates around 1-2 months ago made the boot time in that mode very much faster, around 10-20 seconds versus 1-4 minutes. Moving my streamer, a headless Mac Mini, out of the room was a *great* decision. That computer now has a big monitor, keyboard, etc. so I can do lots with it without interfering with the looks and tranquility of my listening space.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

Well done :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Hello,

i have an issue with my DAC (USB): Hifimediy CS4398 DAC "direct out", TCXO oscillator

DAC is well installed (i can see driver of my DAC in the satus webUI) and works well if my DAC is powered on before SMS.

But if i power off my DAC and power it on again, the SMS cannot pick it up, so no playback is possible!

To recover issue, i have to hot unplug and plug the usb cable and then my DAC is picked it up by SMS-100. It's so unconvenient!

Do you experience this issue?

Thanks

Hello,

i have an issue with my DAC (USB): Hifimediy CS4398 DAC "direct out", TCXO oscillator

DAC is well installed (i can see driver of my DAC in the satus webUI) and works well if my DAC is powered on before SMS.

But if i power off my DAC and power it on again, the SMS cannot pick it up, so no playback is possible!

To recover issue, i have to hot unplug and plug the usb cable and then my DAC is picked it up by SMS-100. It's so unconvenient!

Thanks

The JKMKIII I have exhibits the same behavior with multiple devices... suspect that the device boot logic is faulty

for when USB cable is already connected. Have you tried this with another device (Your PC?) to verify that your DAC will work connected from boot vs requiring the USB cable to always be disconnected at boot?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Hello,

Thanks

Something to test, does your DAC require power on the USB wire? Maybe for the initial handshake? I have two DACS, my SMS-100 is on the continuous power my CAPS PC is on (24x7) but I do turn off my stereo for the evening. So my DACS are powered down, the SMS is still alive, and when I turn on the stereo the next day the SMS picks up the DAC -which ever one is connected.

I exactly do NOT have the problem you report, however I know that neither of my DACS require power on the USB wire (because I can plug either into the SOtM USB card in the CAPS PC and they work fine with the SOtM power switch off).

There are other threads that tell you how to disable the power pins on the UBS plug (tape on pins 1 and 4 I believe, but don't trust, go find the thread).