IGNORED

SOtM Mini Server - sMS-100 Announced

I have it with a pair of Devialet 400 monoblocks.

Thanks Chris. sMS-100 seems to be a good match with Devialet. I am currently using AIR of Devialet. While I am generally satisfied with AIR, I wonder if there is any better way to send music data to Devialet. How would you compare sMS-100 with Devialet's AIR function in terms of sound quality and usability? I would wait if you have a plan to review Devialet and cover this in your review.

Umetaro, Tokyo, Japan

Dela(Melco)N1A/2012 i5 Mac Mini with 16GB memory - Audirvana/Pure Music/Amarra/JRMC - Devialet 800 - Wilson Audio Sasha

I have noticed a small but at least for me annoying difference in sound quality after upgrading from firmware 1.2 to 1.3: Everything sounds softer and rounder.

The change for me is close to the difference of generic PCM and on the fly conversion to DSD which other people sometimes seem to like. But I clearly don't.

Is there any way to revert to firmware 1.2?

Norbert

Hi Jesus,

A few questions about the SOtM Mini Server.

I have a Squeezebox Touch, and have LMS 7.7.3 installed -- but not always running -- on all of my Mac computers.

And in looking at the manual for the SOtM Mini Server, it only shows making the Ethernet connection through a router.

So, question #1: Can I connect the Mini Server directly to a Mac Mini with an Ethernet cable, bypassing any router?

Question #2: Is the 7.7.3 version of LMS okay with the Mini Server?

Or would I need to download and install the version 7.8.1 on the Sonore site?

Question #3: I've been able to control LMS and the SBTouch using iPeng on my iPad.

Does the iPeng-LMS combo work with the Mini Server as seamlessly as it works with the SBTouch?

Thanks much,

Dave, who likes the idea of a variety of sources in his Main or Main Alt systems

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Everybody can find what is looking for with the SOtM : that's a big deal !

... JRiver/JRemote is great to manage a collection : a lot of possibilities, but JRiver is only PC and MAC. Linux development is not a priority so no NAS at this time.

JRiver has a Linux version. Here's the board:

JRiver Media Center for Linux

It's a full media app, not just a server. We don't have anything special for a NAS, but you can import files from a NAS if you can see it as a drive on your network. I understand that's probably not what you want.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

I have noticed a small but at least for me annoying difference in sound quality after upgrading from firmware 1.2 to 1.3: Everything sounds softer and rounder.

The change for me is close to the difference of generic PCM and on the fly conversion to DSD which other people sometimes seem to like. But I clearly don't.

Is there any way to revert to firmware 1.2?

Norbert

I don't believe we did anything to affect the sound and it sounds the same to me. The update was mostly for the addition of the features that can remain off and or uninstalled. Also, the unit does not resample as is. There is not way to revert the upgrade.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

A few questions about the SOtM Mini Server.

I have a Squeezebox Touch, and have LMS 7.7.3 installed -- but not always running -- on all of my Mac computers.

And in looking at the manual for the SOtM Mini Server, it only shows making the Ethernet connection through a router.

So, question #1: Can I connect the Mini Server directly to a Mac Mini with an Ethernet cable, bypassing any router?

Question #2: Is the 7.7.3 version of LMS okay with the Mini Server?

Or would I need to download and install the version 7.8.1 on the Sonore site?

Question #3: I've been able to control LMS and the SBTouch using iPeng on my iPad.

Does the iPeng-LMS combo work with the Mini Server as seamlessly as it works with the SBTouch?

Thanks much,

Dave, who likes the idea of a variety of sources in his Main or Main Alt systems

A Mac computer should be able to assign the unit an IP address. If you can get it to do so you might be able to use it that way, but I can't say for sure. You only need LMS 7.8.1 if you want to stream DSD to a DAC that supports DSD/DoP. All of LMS' supported controllers will work with the unit in SqueezeLite mode.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

I have an issue with this sms-100, connected to a Cambridge MagicPlus : if I switch off the DAC and re-switch it on the sms-100 cannont recognize it even after a few mintets spent, so I have to unplug sms and replug it for it to recognize the DAC... What is quite annoying.

I also noticed that sms-100 interface is very very slow before having DAC identified.

See below sms-100 statuses,

Is it due to this DAC in particular or is it a standard sms-100 behaviour ?

Thanks for your answer,

Regards

1. Connected to the DAC

Statut de l’USB DAC (/proc/asound/card0/stream0):

Cambridge Audio Cambridge Audio USB Audio 1.0 at usb-orion-ehci.0-1.1, full spe : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 365

Momentary freq = 48000 Hz (0x30.0000)

Feedback Format = 10.14

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S24_3LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000

Configuration matérielle du DAC USB (/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params):

access: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S24_3LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 48000 (48000/1)

period_size: 480

buffer_size: 1920

2. After having switched off and on the DAC

Statut de l’USB DAC (/proc/asound/card0/stream0):

Cambridge Audio Cambridge Audio USB Audio 1.0 at usb-orion-ehci.0-1.1, full spe : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S24_3LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000

Configuration matérielle du DAC USB (/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params):

closed

I've been running a Mini Server for about 1 week, along with the sHP-100 DAC. The server replaced my stand-alone Sonore server/Signature power supply.

No issues with popping between tracks, including tracks with different resolutions.

I did attempt to connect the server using a wireless access point, but anything above Redbook would exhibit dropouts. Switching to a wired connection eliminated this. My router is in the basement, approx. 50' away from the access point on the 2nd floor, so this may have been a factor.

I've been using LMS on my MacBook in the music room, and iPeng as a control point. Everything works smoothly. I'm going to try JRiver this weekend.

The sHP-100 is a really nice DAC. It's pretty much plug-n-play. There aren't any user settings, no filters to select, etc. It just works, and sounds great.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Just go to the APP Switcher and reselect the output mode and it should work. This only exceptions are the Mytek and M2Tech based devices that need you to boot with the unit with the USB device connected and powered.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

I forgot this solution when describing the issue, you are right, but couldn't it be completely fixed ? I mean to have sms-100 recognizing DAC automatically without having to get a remote control and switch app to have DAC recognized ?

I don't have this issue when using LMS on Raspbery Pi, and even more when using daphile on a computer : with this solution when I do switch DAC off daphile just pauseand restart by itself when the DAC is switch back on... And this feature is really confortable.

Thanks

I've been running a Mini Server for about 1 week, along with the sHP-100 DAC. The server replaced my stand-alone Sonore server/Signature power supply.

No issues with popping between tracks, including tracks with different resolutions.

I did attempt to connect the server using a wireless access point, but anything above Redbook would exhibit dropouts. Switching to a wired connection eliminated this. My router is in the basement, approx. 50' away from the access point on the 2nd floor, so this may have been a factor.

I've been using LMS on my MacBook in the music room, and iPeng as a control point. Everything works smoothly. I'm going to try JRiver this weekend.

The sHP-100 is a really nice DAC. It's pretty much plug-n-play. There aren't any user settings, no filters to select, etc. It just works, and sounds great.

This might be fun to try and works pretty well. Use a modern Apple Airport Express or a TP-Link (TL-WR710N) connected to the unit via Ethernet and connected to your computer (in the same room) via WiFi. You won't have internet access or access to remote servers, but you can play most any sample rate content on your computer including DSD. The cool thing about the TP-Link is you can also connect a portable drive and serve up PCM content from it at the same time.

Jesus R

Hi Jesus,

I forgot this solution when describing the issue, you are right, but couldn't it be completely fixed ? I mean to have sms-100 recognizing DAC automatically without having to get a remote control and switch app to have DAC recognized ?

I don't have this issue when using LMS on Raspbery Pi, and even more when using daphile on a computer : with this solution when I do switch DAC off daphile just pauseand restart by itself when the DAC is switch back on... And this feature is really confortable.

Thanks

You can hot plug some devices. I'm not keeping a list, but the ones I mentioned require a reboot of the unit and the device for a very good reason. BTW I have seem what some are doing to work around this issue and I'm not prepared to follow bad examples. In the case of the SOtM DAC/AMP just leave it connected all the time and it will always be ready...

Jesus R

This might be fun to try and works pretty well. Use a modern Apple Airport Express or a TP-Link (TL-WR710N) connected to the unit via Ethernet and connected to your computer (in the same room) via WiFi. You won't have internet access or access to remote servers, but you can play most any sample rate content on your computer including DSD. The cool thing about the TP-Link is you can also connect a portable drive and serve up PCM content from it at the same time.

Jesus R

And if you do not want another switching PSU (The AE was too noisy for my setup), you can try the following for a similar solution:

1. NETGEAR Universal N300 Wi-Fi to Ethernet Adapter (WNCE2001) for $47

This is a handy small wireless receiver with one LAN out connection. This I have connected with a bluejeanscable 6a cable.

2. HY1503C Variable Linear DC Power Supply. Analog. $70

To remove the switching supply wall wart of the Netgear, I use a bench LPSU to provide 1A, 5V

3. A connector plug for DC power. 1.3mm x 3.4mm DC connector. 171-3224-EX from Mouser.com. And some cable of course.

Cheers

I've been using JR for a week now and I really like it. Other than some setup questions (please chime in on my thread in the Software forum if you can assist), I think JR is top notch.

Using JRemote on my iPad provides a great control point. The tagging features in JR are also excellent. . .I was able to cleanup a lot of artwork.

If you're using the Mini Server, you really need to give JR a try.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

Hi

I have just bought a sMS-100 using LMS on my MacBook incl. external harddisk 2TB. So far so good. I have a problem with 50% of the albums/musicfiles in my library. The tracks play 3-5 seconds and stop with no sound?

What could be wrong? I have used the same MacBook and harddisk with Audirvana Plus with no problems. I´m a bit puzzled at the moment :-(

Hope You guys can help me out :-)

Chario Aviator Cielo | Norma Audio Revo IPA-70B | Merason frérot + Merason pow1
Volumio Rivo 
+ iFi iPower Elite | Skinbjerg Audio Interconnects + Speaker Cables
Supra Excalibur USB 
| MeiCord Opal + iFi LAN iSilencer | Power Cables 3x1.5 mm²
Ansuz Mainz8 X 
| SD-Feet | Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders | Norstone Stabbl AV

Hi

I have just bought a sMS-100 using LMS on my MacBook incl. external harddisk 2TB. So far so good. I have a problem with 50% of the albums/musicfiles in my library. The tracks play 3-5 seconds and stop with no sound?

What could be wrong? I have used the same MacBook and harddisk with Audirvana Plus with no problems. I´m a bit puzzled at the moment :-(

Hope You guys can help me out :-)

What format and sample rates are the files that don't play?

Jesus R

What format and sample rates are the files that don't play?

Jesus R

Hi Jesus

I have both AIFF and ALAC files. Some of them are hirez files and some of them 44 kHz sample rates. The files that won´t play have different sample rates and formats. The ones that play also have different sample rates and formats. This is why I´m puzzled!?

I have tried to empty my library and start from the beginning. It´s the same files playing and the ones that are not.

Chario Aviator Cielo | Norma Audio Revo IPA-70B | Merason frérot + Merason pow1
Volumio Rivo 
+ iFi iPower Elite | Skinbjerg Audio Interconnects + Speaker Cables
Supra Excalibur USB 
| MeiCord Opal + iFi LAN iSilencer | Power Cables 3x1.5 mm²
Ansuz Mainz8 X 
| SD-Feet | Herbie’s Threaded Stud Gliders | Norstone Stabbl AV