IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

24 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

(... if/when you succeed 😛 )

It is impossible alone but if the hifi press, hardware manufactures and forums put down their feet together with the musicians maybe it could work. The industry is today run by lawyers and distributors. Music has only become a tool. 

Exiting to have the leedh processing. Another period of experimenting!

but, maybe too early in the morning, but i cannot find the setting anymore to change the digital output of the Lumin anymore. Is it indeed disappeared?

berlin

Kudos to Lumin and you, Peter, and I look forward to using the Leedh algorithm too but I am not sure exactly what bug is being talked about in the Lumin app on iOS.  I seem to be able to do what I had done in the past with respect to changing to the digital outputs other than the volume control not being in effect but maybe that's because I use analog most of the time.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Frequent crashing of Lumin app on IOS.

I recently upgraded a lumin ui mini to a T2.  However, since the upgrade I am experiencing frequent crashing of the app on IOS.  I upgraded to the new firmware but still am getting a lot of crashes.  Is anyone else having this problem?

2 minutes ago, steveoat said:

Frequent crashing of Lumin app on IOS.

X1 here and solid as a rock.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On Leedh processing in V13.0 just downloaded to Lumin U1.

Currently Roon SRC's everything to DSD128. When volume control setting is on in the Lumin App, the sample rate shows (on the DAC)  352.8. Maximum sample rate on the DAC for USB is 384.

So..., volume control needs to convert DSD to PCM, no real surprise here, since volume control in DSD (and just about anything else) is mathematically challenged, the process is not DSD in -> PCM -> Leedh -> DSD out, rather DSD in -> PCM -> Leedh -> PCM out.

This is a nice feature for those wishing to use the Lumin with power amps directly, but it's been so long for me using the fixed volume mode in combo with a pre-amp, it's difficult to change. I'm sure the Lumin is quite capable of SRC, but I'll stick with analog volume control for the time being.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Although I like the new volume control implementation and, in particular, the ability to set the max volume level when bypassing my AV processor and going straight into the power amps (which I know is doing a great disservice to the X1) entirely, I do find that the slight help with the very low end afforded by the AV processor's ability to send the lowest of the low end goodies to my JL Fathom F212 leaves me feeling a bit deprived.

I am wondering if there are any solutions other than tapping into the amp's speaker outputs to create a line signal to drive some sort of sub equalizer device?

20 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

as I use Roon and have an analogue preamp, what is the best way to gain benefit from it?

forgetting about it and using the volume control on your analogue pre 😛

having a feature doesn't mean you *must* use it ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

24 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

forgetting about it and using the volume control on your analogue pre 😛

having a feature doesn't mean you *must* use it ;)

No, I agree, but if it is a more transparent way of controlling volume, rather than using the Roon volume control or the analog preamp volume control, it would make sense to use it!

15 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

if it is a more transparent way of controlling volume

then, having choices (as @The Computer Audiophile says)... try all the options (Lumin, Roon, your pre) and see which one sounds better/is more convenient in *your* setup

I doubt Lumin's the most convenient one (unless you control it from a large tablet) but *might* sound better than the other two (almost for sure better than Roon's vc)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

16 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Options and choice are great things

freedom of picking just the right ones is even better ;)

(unless you are after collecting options and choices 😛 )

headphones system:

18 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

if it is a more transparent way of controlling volume, rather than using the Roon volume control or the analog preamp volume control, it would make sense to use it!

Even if you use Roon to adjust the volume for Lumin RAAT zone, the Leedh processing volume can be used.  The RAAT protocol tells Lumin the volume level 0-100 to use, and the Lumin applies it using its own algorithm.  (For those setup using a USB DAC, i.e. not a Lumin, directly connected to the Roon Core computer USB port, things may be different.)

An active preamp does other things to (hopefully) improve the SQ, not just volume attenuation.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 minutes ago, wklie said:

Even if you use Roon to adjust the volume for Lumin RAAT zone, the Leedh processing volume can be used.  The RAAT protocol tells Lumin the volume level 0-100 to use, and the Lumin applies it using its own algorithm

oh... this is a very clever/nice touch! 👏

headphones system:

13 hours ago, wklie said:

Leedh Processing Volume is now a free upgrade for Lumin product line in Firmware 13. (This feature alone costs EUR5000 from another manufacturer.)

https://audiophile-magazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Audiophile-Magazine-Juin 2020-N°2.pdf

Peter,

That is great news and support. I have an A1 that has the setting to check for firmware updates turned on. My A1 seems to be on Firmware 11.0 when I select the "About" option on the Lumin IOS app. I think I need to be at firmware 13.0 for this new Leedh Processing Volume option. Is there something I need to do to force a firmware download/upgrade? Thanks

I just need clarification on “a little thing.” Last evening an automatic firmware update must’ve taken place (Leedh)

Now when listening to DSD 64, DSD128 or 356, there’s an audible pop and then sound only from the left speaker? 
The DAC used to play any up or down sample thrown at it ...

What corrective action can I take?

2 hours ago, roadCingKlassik said:

I just need clarification on “a little thing.” Last evening an automatic firmware update must’ve taken place (Leedh)

Now when listening to DSD 64, DSD128 or 356, there’s an audible pop and then sound only from the left speaker? 
The DAC used to play any up or down sample thrown at it ...

What corrective action can I take?

I thought you're using the U1 MINI, i.e. no internal DAC inside Lumin, connected to North Star Design DAC?

If that's the case, please make sure Custom Re-sampling is turned off.  Unplug the USB DAC cabe.  Power cycle both the Lumin and the USB DAC.  Then reconnect the USB.

If you're using a different Lumin model, please tell me which model it is.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

17 minutes ago, wklie said:

I thought you're using the U1 MINI, i.e. no internal DAC inside Lumin, connected to North Star Design DAC?

If that's the case, please make sure Custom Re-sampling is turned off.  Unplug the USB DAC cabe.  Power cycle both the Lumin and the USB DAC.  Then reconnect the USB.

If you're using a different Lumin model, please tell me which model it is.

Yes, I’m using Mini with North Star DAC. 
Within the LUMIN app I can select various sample rates and it changes the front display of the northStar DAC accordingly. Normally, I connect the Mini and DAC through USB but occasionally use AES.

i’ll try your suggestions in a couple days… Thank you