IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 5/15/2020 at 1:48 AM, Kray said:

Is there any way to prevent the Settings/Music Library window from popping open every time I go back into the Lumin app after X minutes?

Please update Lumin app to 6.1.16 from iOS app store and see if it works better for you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hey guys I am just curious if anyone has put a good quality DDC after a lumin streamer to further SQ gains?

This was done with other high end streamers on other forums and wonder if anyone has experience doing this with lumin products.

I ordered an audio gd di20HE and am thinking of getting a lumin u1 mini -> coax out -> di 20HE -> i2s -> dac.

@smodtactical If you have asked me for compatibility first, I'd tell you not to buy an Amanero based DDC.  Stick to XMOS.  Another thing is you have to make sure the DDC I2S output is proven DSD compatible with your particular DAC.

There have been a variety of I2S DSD differences, so it can create all sorts of problems.  Even if it plays, some will have left right channel swapped.  Therefore some DDC has several configurable outputs and even different firmwares to match different brands of DAC.

I remember there was an unhappy incident in this forum between a DDC user and a DAC manufacturer.  The manufacturer followed an alternative I2S standard, and there were other hardware incompatibilities between the two requiring a paid hardware mod.  Eventually the manufacturer declared if you use a third party DDC you're on your own.  My point is: you have to make sure everything is compatible before you buy a I2S DDC.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

You also need to consider if mqa is important to you.   If you are using Tidal and not Qobuz, you will want a mqa dac.  

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

2 hours ago, smodtactical said:

Peter very good point. Have you come across any users successfully using DDC with lumin streamers?

If i2S is out of the equation,  Lumin offers AES3, coax and optical outputs as standard, these are pretty good on their own.

After using AES3 for 12 months or more,  USB provides a better, resolving outcome. This may not have to be due to the hardware in the Lumin, but with various SRC at the source,  especially with DSD.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Surely you jest. 

I don't think he was jesting at all.  The complete statement suggested he consider if MQA was important to him and that if it was then he would need a MQA DAC.  Surely he was not jesting....that is a truthful straightforward suggestion.  I realize this is your site AND there is a dogmatic anti-MQA culture throughout but that seemed a little unnecessary.  

I am not a fan of MAQ.  That's why i use Qobuz for a streaming service but, I do have friends who like MQA or specifically mqa using Tidal so they wouldn't consider a dac without MQA.  I was only thinking  of the OP possible needs or wants since the Lumin is MQA capable.   

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

8 minutes ago, erniejade said:

I am not a fan of MAQ.  That's why i use Qobuz for a streaming service but, I do have friends who like MQA or specifically mqa using Tidal so they wouldn't consider a dac without MQA.  I was only thinking  of the OP possible needs or wants since the Lumin is MQA capable.   

Yes. Sorry for dragging this off topic. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 hours ago, smodtactical said:

Peter very good point. Have you come across any users successfully using DDC with lumin streamers?

Yes, the U1 user was using an older DDC model that initially had a DSD left/right channel swapped problem, which would be fixed by a different DDC firmware - this was several years ago. A successor model had dip switches to configure different modes of I2S output to match different brands.  Pretty impressive functionality.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I see. If there is a server available, it will open the “Select a Music Library” window OR show the previously chosen server contents, even if it is offline. If there are no servers AND no server has been selected on previous visits, it will not pop up or revert to library. That’s new.

Now we just need the “always stay on last chosen music source”. Please.

Say NO to ROON

@wklie I am very happy with my Lumin U1 Mini. So far I have only played music from my ripped and my downloaded files. At this time I wanted to try Quboz as they have downloading offers that suit my taste.

I opened Quboz from the Lumin app and got an offer for 1 month trial. So I filled up what I was asked for but then it was stop. I got a message that Quboz is not availble for Sweden and as far as I understand, not for Norway, Finland or Denmark as well.

Have you not signed up for Quboz to all your Lumin customers? Quboz is one of your sales argument to buy Lumin but it seems that 25 million people in the Nordic countries are left aside. Or is there a ”secret way” to get access. I must say that I feel a bit discriminated.

What info do you have on this subject?

13 minutes ago, Ropet said:

Or is there a ”secret way” to get access

not Lumin's fault: it's about labels & stuff

I've been streaming Qobuz years before it became available here

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

In addition:

The VPN country determines which region your account belongs to and therefore the size of the music library and the subscription cost.  In the past it was said that Qobuz France had the largest library, but I'm not sure if this is still true.

For Qobuz non-supported country, you must use e-mail to sign up, not Facebook.  You must use PayPal instead of credit card for payment - but even then they may decline your payment.  You could try different credit cards.  Further info:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/qobuz-in-non-supported-countries/58697/39

Once signed up, VPN is not needed.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, Ropet said:

It seems to follow the typical pattern of our time, lying, cheating, fixing and tripping to move forward and no-one seems to bother

if you rather want to convince labels that what they are doing is complete nonsense in the digital/global era... we will all thank you ;)

(... if/when you succeed 😛 )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones