IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I noticed the new f/w on Wednesday June 10th.  No noticeable SQ change for me as I am currently using analog but will check S/PDIF and USB later.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I just made the change from my D1 bypassing the Cambridge Audio Azur 840E which is still connected to balanced outputs but my Active Crossovers (Linkwitzlab.com) LX521.4 ASP are only running RCA inputs so I have now connected the ASP directly to the RCA outs on the D1 and enjoying the change very much - despite Roon now showing DSP volume in the signal path.

I might not be able to keep it this way as the preamp allows for connection of other sources most importantly my turntable and some options for other DAC for TV or CD transports etc. but if I use a separate speaker setup for the other needs then its a workable solution as I do as noted below. 

For my other system where I have another D1 using a Linkwitzlab Orion setup for stereo and an 5.1 HT speaker setup for TV/Movies this will be perfect....just need to reachable the ASP

Hey guys would appreciate some help.  So I just got the lumin u1 mini and it seems my AES out doesn't work. My USB out and Coax out work fine with my dac but when I switch to AES out there is no sound in my system. My system is:

PC (roon core) -> ethernet -> U1 mini -> AES/Coax/USB -> Denafrips terminator -> HE9 -> HD800S.

I tried the pi streamer -> sotm dx usb -> AES -> rest of chain and this works fine and I have been using this AES cable without issues for 1 year (d110 silversonic).

Could it be the AES output is just broken? Would appreciate help, thank you! Btw. I got it from an authorized dealer and he is trying to help me figure this out as well but suggested I post here to get as much help as possible.

is AES Output enabled in "Digital Audio Output Setting" and, not sure this is required, is USB disconnected?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

try enabling just AES (and, just for good measure, disconnect everything else)

if it doesn't work... we'll have to wait for @wklie, sorry :(

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I did it.  But I am always an early adopter of everything.  I did it last Wednesday with no regrets.  13.0a for me.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

When you select a library in the Lumin app do you see your PC as a library server?  Do you have minimserver or the equivalent running on your PC?

Am wondering if the Leedh volume control is a blessing with a reduction of output voltage levels to avoid analog overload (or level matching) which seems to be a real problem for most systems. doesn't take much for overloads to occur and the effects can vary considerably, always for the worse.

A lot of DACs have fixed outputs of 2V minimum, and keep going higher, rather than the lower 350-500 mV with high gain stages in pre-amps. Once there's analog, levels are a dog's breakfast.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

8 hours ago, smodtactical said:

Hey guys would appreciate some help.  So I just got the lumin u1 mini and it seems my AES out doesn't work. My USB out and Coax out work fine with my dac but when I switch to AES out there is no sound in my system. My system is:

PC (roon core) -> ethernet -> U1 mini -> AES/Coax/USB -> Denafrips terminator -> HE9 -> HD800S.

I tried the pi streamer -> sotm dx usb -> AES -> rest of chain and this works fine and I have been using this AES cable without issues for 1 year (d110 silversonic).

Could it be the AES output is just broken? Would appreciate help, thank you! Btw. I got it from an authorized dealer and he is trying to help me figure this out as well but suggested I post here to get as much help as possible.

Please disconnect USB cable.  Use Lumin app About function of the U1 MINI, tap and hold Factory Reset.  Do not change any setting after factory reset.

Connect the AES, switch your DAC to AES input, try playing different sample rates, e.g. 16/44.1, 24/96 (not DSD).  Please make sure you disconnect USB first before playing to AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink outputs.

If this does not work, please verify your AES cable and AES input of DAC works from other sources, or seek help from the dealer.

We test every output before we ship a unit.  However, occasionally after shipping things can go wrong.

For Lumin app to see music files on the PC, please install the free MinimServer on the PC.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

39 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Am wondering if the Leedh volume control is a blessing with a reduction of output voltage levels to avoid analog overload (or level matching) which seems to be a real problem for most systems. doesn't take much for overloads to occur and the effects can vary considerably, always for the worse.

Yes, it can be used this way.  A few months ago (before we launched the Leedh Processing Volume) I helped a customer.  After decreasing Lumin volume to level match with his previous DAC, then he is happy with the SQ.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

41 minutes ago, wklie said:

Please disconnect USB cable.  Use Lumin app About function of the U1 MINI, tap and hold Factory Reset.  Do not change any setting after factory reset.

Connect the AES, switch your DAC to AES input, try playing different sample rates, e.g. 16/44.1, 24/96 (not DSD).  Please make sure you disconnect USB first before playing to AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink outputs.

If this does not work, please verify your AES cable and AES input of DAC works from other sources, or seek help from the dealer.

We test every output before we ship a unit.  However, occasionally after shipping things can go wrong.

For Lumin app to see music files on the PC, please install the free MinimServer on the PC.

Hi Peter before I do the reset should I disconnect my AES and coax cable as well which are now connected?

Will install minimserver.

12 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

before I do the reset should I disconnect my AES and coax cable as well which are now connected?

They should not matter.  You can leave them in place or disconnect them.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead