IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Call for beta testers who use U1 / U1 MINI with Lumin digital volume below 100.  Please let me know, thanks.

The objective is to find out whether the beta firmware digital volume sounds the same, better, or worse.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

@wkliePeter I now have 2 Lumin D1's both preloved 😃 and I would like to know if the feature development cycle is unlikely to have much happening re features like Amazon HD etc...please correct me if I am wrong. Support for bugs etc I hope will be ongoing for some time... is there a drop dead date for older models like the D1 with respect to features that might be supported or maintenance releases? Currently both on V12.0a and RAAT SDK 1.1.36

Very much enjoying the D1's too I must say.

I do not expect the firmware maintenance to stop for our old models.  You will still get bug fixes (if any) and minor features.  Some types of major features are sometimes hardware resource dependent, so perhaps not all models can get all major features.  I expect to release a RAAT 1.1.37 firmware in the weeks ahead.

Please use iPad AirPlay for playback of Amazon music to Lumin.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I’ve actually started using my Apple TV to AirPlay to my D2 and it sounds really good.

All via Ethernet connection and you can control the Apple TV from an IOS devise, just need to set the audio output to LUMIN.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

There may be no user serviceable parts inside, BUT the 2 bolts which hold the transformer in place are loose. I want my technician to be able to tighten them up, but to do that, he will have to open it up. Please can somebody give me that little nuggget of advice so the job can be done? 

3 minutes ago, vintageaxeman said:

I want my technician to be able to tighten them up

if your technician doesn't know/get how to open that PS... don't let him do the job: find another one ;) 

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I really would be grateful for helpful advice, please.

The 4 screws on the back come off and release the rear plate. All the connectors are held on by short lengths of cable. It does not seem possible to lower the rear panelout of the way of the top half of the casing to allow the top half to slide backwards. And the feet are fixed onto captive bolts with hex nuts. The only other visible fixings are the main 2 transformer bolts and it looks as if I remove those, the transformers and their nuts/washers will be loose. ie this would be a bad move. So I just want confirmation that the top half of the chase should slide backwards. Mine is very stiff, and I don't want to force it if there is a 'knack' to it, or if I am missing something.....

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks for the info.  Although I never intend to open mine it's good to know if case a fuse or something lets go.

Question:  What brand, size of pozidrive and length do you use?  Long ones seem to be as scarce as hen's teeth.  Thank you.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I don't think I've ever gotten an answer to this question but I'll ask again and I apologize if my memory is faulty.  In the unlikely event that service is required, is there a repair facility in the United States, or any other part of the world for that matter, that handles repair of Lumin products?  Also, is there a contact number for support or is the original place of purchase the initial point of contact to get something repaired?

Thank you.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

Please can somebody give me that little nuggget of advice so the job can be done? 

I'm going to apply for a nobel prize to the engineer who invented
 such a way to close the case, in the end, I used a screwdriver with a length of 50 cm-pz2, it is very difficult to get into the bolts.

4 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

In the unlikely event that service is required, is there a repair facility in the United States, or any other part of the world for that matter, that handles repair of Lumin products?  Also, is there a contact number for support or is the original place of purchase the initial point of contact to get something repaired?

For repair please contact your regional Lumin distributor as listed in the Lumin web site.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

9 hours ago, vintageaxeman said:

There may be no user serviceable parts inside, BUT the 2 bolts which hold the transformer in place are loose. I want my technician to be able to tighten them up, but to do that, he will have to open it up. Please can somebody give me that little nuggget of advice so the job can be done? 

As shown above you need a long screwdriver.  However, our repair department officially discourage users from doing that.  The reassembly is even harder than the disassembly, and it is very possible to cause damage inside (including the short cables), in addition to electric hazards.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hello,

I was using spotify Connect to stream to the lumin U1 mini, which was great.

But during the lockdown, as many, I explored other services (Tidal, SoundCloud streaming on Win10), with temporary discounts.

As a side note, I landed on this comparison of grand piano: exciting, despite minimalist : https://forum.modartt.com/viewtopic.php?id=5791

A few usability features would be nice:

*Tidal native app on phone:

Use the native TIDAL app for control (on Google Pixel ), stream to Lumin U1 mini, then output to USB Mytek DAC ?

For instance, I use my trustworthy Chromecast Audio... At 24bits / 44.1khz max plugged in the optical input of the DAC. Don't know if the 24bits are true bits.

Native app is the way to go (playlists in one place, control in the notification panel of the phone)

*Stream from a Win10 laptop:

For instance, I can use the chrome browser to stream to the Chromecast Audio the sound of the desktop or the tab (that's what I did with the soundcloud samples used in the grand piano side note above.)

I tried some free app to stream the Win10 desktop to the LUMIN using DLNA, with no luck.

I say that, seeing the new Primare NP5, which seems to provide Google Chromecast rendering up to 96khz.

Though, I still see no evidence showing someone already succeeded.

But if true, and if MQA pass through is ok, then it would render my U1 mini much less useful, as the two above scenarios would be covered at 96khz.

Does Chromecast audio rendering require some hardware or is it possible to add this feature with a firmware change ?

Hi,

I am new here, just received my U1 mini and I am already super happy with the sound in combination with my directstream dac.

I am not yet happy with the app though. Rather frustrated actually...

The lumin app does handle my minimserver database wrongly as it seems. All my music of classical composers is in my database as artist: chopin, frederic (1810-1949). All album artist And composer fields in minimserver are left empty. At random, the lumin app puts this example in the letter F, not in the letter C. It is displayed as Frederic (1810-1949) Chopin. Beethoven, ludwig van (1770-1828) is correctly put in the letter B. It is about 50/50 right/ wrong. All popular music like artist: Nina Simone is put in N as I want to.

Does anyone understands this? MconnectHD app is using the same minimserver and does display all right.