IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 4/22/2020 at 4:44 AM, wklie said:

There is a sound quality related change that we're experimenting on for Lumin T2 and X1.

I need users to tell me whether it sounds the same, better, or worse.

If you use a Lumin T2 or X1 analog output and are interested in participating in this test, please let me know and state your model you're using.

If you happen to be using a preamp that supports AV bypass feature, or using a direct-to-amp setup (i.e. using Lumin volume), please also let me know.

An added benefit of participating in the test is that I've decided to permanently bypass my AV processor when listening critically to the Lumin X1 and, rather, pump the XLR outputs of the X1 through a high quality (expensive?) XLR switch box directly into the front end of the L/R front mono amplifiers.  Because the X1's output is such that the volume control is running about 10 at normal listening levels, I will probably have to set the X1's analog output levels to the lower setting or install a couple of balanced attenuators in the X1's output going to the switch.

A question for the designers: Effectively, when going to the low analog output setting, how is the output being reduced and would you think there is any possibility for "harming" the sonic quality of the output by using the low setting?

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

8 hours ago, Ropet said:

This looks like a minimserver issue to my eyes. My advice to you is to contact https://forum.minimserver.com/

I'm sure you will get a fast reply and accurate solutions. Their service is top notch. 

@Berlin -- you also need to install minimwatch. Minimwatch is the tool to do detailed configuration of minimserver.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
10 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

A question for the designers: Effectively, when going to the low analog output setting, how is the output being reduced and would you think there is any possibility for "harming" the sonic quality of the output by using the low setting?

The how part is proprietary.  Normal is the ideal setting.

Alternatively, the RCA output is lower by half, if your mono amps support unbalanced input.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 hours ago, wklie said:

The how part is proprietary.  Normal is the ideal setting.

Alternatively, the RCA output is lower by half, if your mono amps support unbalanced input.

Understood.  Since I am locked into using the balanced connections, I will go the passive attenuator route for the time being.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

9 hours ago, jcn3 said:

@Berlin -- you also need to install minimwatch. Minimwatch is the tool to do detailed configuration of minimserver.

@Berlin

I agree. This is true if you run a NAS and use a pc/laptop to configurate the NAS. But if you use a pc/laptop as the server with an external HDD, you do not need Minimwatch. Then you do the configuration direct in Minimserver (this is my setup using a dedicated laptop only for this and for downloads).

You also need a database of course. I use Mp3Tag.de which also have a number of possibilities to arrange your data. They have also excellent service over the web.

Following some user enquiries about Spotify Lumin issue, I integrated the Spotify March 2020 SDK, and found reports of worldwide outage.

Intensively testing Spotify Connect in the last few days, I ran into a situation where Spotify plays on iPad but not on Lumin. Did the followings to no avail:

- Made sure I'm running latest Spotify app
- Rolled back my experimental changes
- Power cycled Lumin
- Tried different Spotify SDK
- Tried different versions of Lumin firmware
- Killed and restarted Spotify app

- Waited for another day to retest

Tried an Android device - that works! So I did the followings, again to no avail:
- Rebooted iPad
- Switched to a different WiFi SSID

Ultimately, what solved my Lumin Spotify problem is to logout from Spotify app, then relogin.  Now Spotify can play to my Lumin setup.

But the story does not end here.

I set Spotify back to play on iPad, but there is no sound from the iPad.  Switching back to Lumin, Lumin Spotify Connect playback is ok.  Switch back to iPad, still no sound. Killed the Spotify app again and restarted it, still no good.  I asked my marketing manager for help.  He examined the volume status after double tap home, and tried some volume changes.  Then he started YouTube app, which works of course.  Back to Spotify, now it produces sound. huh.png

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

We just received this e-mail from a happy customer:

I just have to let you guys know - I have used my LUMIN D1 for 5 years and was happy. Four months ago I sold my D1 and upgraded to the LUMIN T2. I noticed an improvement in all aspects of my system (Krell 300i pushing Maggie 1.7i speakers) - sound stage, depth, bass, vocals, cymbals, etc. I was very happy. No one told me there was a ‘break in period’!! This system sounds better than I ever imagined four months in!

Thank you for an ‘Over the Moon’ quality product!! I just had to let you know!

A very happy customer for life!

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter:

One other request.  Could you please add Amazon Music HD to the streaming services you support.  The Bluesound integration is terrible.  I hear that the Marantz/Denon Heos is OK, but would love to have this on my Lumin streamer.

Bruce