IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

@Liam 1. Yes.  See this post:

2. You may compare the Leedh digital volume against the pre-amp analog volume and let us know which sounds better to you.

3. I don't think there are compatibility concerns, but in extreme cases some setups could have too much gain (limiting the usable volume range) while others have too little gain (not loud enough).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

16 minutes ago, further said:

The presentation appears more dynamic but loudness can very much influence that perception.

Yes, please use a free sound meter app on smartphone to keep the sound level similar when doing A/B comparison.

16 minutes ago, further said:

slide bar for Leedh like is present for Volume.

When Leedh volume setting is enabled, your main volume slide bar is the Leedh volume control.

The Max Volume % setting is a different thing to protect speakers, it works regardless of whether Leedh volume is enabled or not.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

From Lumin X1 user https://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/lumin-leedh-ing-way-18376-page2.html#post304499

installing the V13 Firmware and activating the Ledh volume and the Lumin app, I managed to improve the sound in general. All the changes I notice
1. Quieter background
2. Treble much smoother
3. The precent bass but without making a ball of bass.
4. The Lumin X1 sounded exceedingly good before the V13 but now it sounds exceptional, I enjoy the music more.

After installing V13 the treble is softer and the bass is present but does not rumble as before, it is more controlled.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

From a Lumin T2 user https://www.audioshark.org/lumin-169/lumin-leedh-ing-way-18376-page2.html#post304521

In my particular case, a Lumin T2, the change was very noticeable.
I really used the volume of the app, since I have an integrated valve amplifier without remote control, it is an EICO ST 40 from the 60s, which I opened from its original box back in the 90s, and I still keep it with little use, since I started using it about 8 years ago. (I do not permanently use this system, since there are other systems sharing the space).
The speakers connected to this amplifier are original Tannoy Cheviots from the late 1970s, in their second version. (with original Tannoy recone made approximately 5 years ago and crossover upgrade).

The change is really very noticeable.
- More controlled bass with greater impact.
- Greater separation of instruments
- Higher level of detail in general
- Smoother and more natural treble
- Higher level of silence.

It brought a lot of musicality to this particular system, now I will begin to evaluate it with my other systems, although in a brief listening with Vincent SV-700 + Tannoy 615 MKII I also share those concepts, with the obvious differences in timbre and characteristics of each of these systems.

Music is really much more enjoyable.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

1 hour ago, Joel6m said:

Hi all,

I am not a very active member of this forum but just to provide you with some further details:

It's important first to understand that the interest of the Leedh Processing is to purely withdraw the analog preamplifier from the playback chain. It's a very easy experience and it's completely meaningful about the level of coloration and distortion released by the best preamplifiers. At the early beginnings of the Leedh Processing tests, I had the opportunity to compare its efficiency and transparency versus some of the very best devices like the Ypsilon PST100 MK2 or the Robert Koda Takumi K10 for instance. All have been outclassed by this simple digital volume processing.

Unfortunately, sometimes people don't look for the ultimate transparency and will find that their colored preamp bring warmer voices, more convincing bass or whatever... It's a matter of choice and I completely respect this appoach. But if you look for the ultimate transparency, especially for classical music, which is in my opinion a more demanding musical genre in terms of high fidelity, then the Lumin streamers are definitely a highly commendable choice as they offer the best volume setting existing on the market for free.

I would like to precise also that I have found during my review of the X1 and Lumin Amps a bit more transparency when you let the maximum volume in the Lumin settings at full scale (100%) using only the usual circular controller on top of the Lumin app. I do not understand why, as Lumin engineers have used exactly the same attenuation values than the full scale volume, but that makes a difference in my system. So I would recommend to not use the maximum volume option for evaluation purposes.

If you desire to compare your analog preamplifier whith the Leedh processing, also ensure that you can set you analog preamp at full volume (adjusting then the desired attenuation from the Lumin app). You will then be able to reverse the test with the Lumin app set at 100% and the attenuation adjusted on the knob of your analog preamp. If you don't set your analog preamplifier at its max volume, then you should keep the distortion of your analog preamp. So in that case, it's better to directly withdraw your preamplifier from the playback chain to assess the performance of the Leedh Processing, especially if you use a tube preamplifier which generate noise at max volume...

I think gain matching of the complete set-up is most important as well because the Leedh Processing is not lossless with greater attenuation than 30dB.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

3 hours ago, psme said:

For some reason, for me at least, this link was broken.  This is what I've chosen to use:

https://www.kramerav.com/us/product/vs-4x

The switch is very well built and appears to use high quality parts.  One of two of the inputs is from the X1.  The other input is from the A/V processor that I use.  The output, of course, goes to the front L/R mono amps.

Thanks to PSME and Joel6M for providing some very interesting, and important, background.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

3 hours ago, matthias said:

I think gain matching of the complete set-up is most important as well because the Leedh Processing is not lossless with greater attenuation than 30dB.

Matt

Yes in absolute terms you are correct, but you also should consider than the 30 dB attenuation is already a lot and that the lower values are less consuming in terms of bit length than most of the usual digital volume controllers available to the market...

Cheers.

Joël

11 hours ago, wklie said:

@Liam 1. Yes.  See this post:

2. You may compare the Leedh digital volume against the pre-amp analog volume and let us know which sounds better to you.

3. I don't think there are compatibility concerns, but in extreme cases some setups could have too much gain (limiting the usable volume range) while others have too little gain (not loud enough).

Thanks Peter for the clarifications. I am unable to turn the volume of my valve integrated full on due to noise, but I have turned it higher than normal and with the volume limiter set to 100% and normal listening level of around 60 on the circular app volume I am enjoying the result. Music is barely audible at 1 on the circular volume, so settings are probably optimum in the circumstances.  I upgraded my dac chip in the last week and with the V13 firmware upgrade as well there is a lot going on here, but I will be continuing with this setup while I investigate trading my integrated for a superior power amp. Despite my setup not being optimum I perceive welcome overall improvements.  Thanks to all for making this beneficial technology available, and at no cost will endear Lumin to many. 

LOUNGE:- Qobuz Studio>TP-Link RE650 WI-FI Extender>AfterDark Ethernet Cable>EtherREGEN/Farad Super3 PSU/Furutech AC input/Level2 DC cable/SR Purple fuse>AfterDark Ethernet Cable(1/2 Metre)>Lumin U1 Mini Streamer/LEEDH volume/External PliXiR BDC Elite 12v/4amp PSU>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital cable>MHDT Orchid Dac>Townshend DCT300 Interconnects>Airtight AMT-1S Amp>Townshend Isolda EDCT Speaker Cables>Speakers Revival Atalante 3.

LIVING ROOM:-Qobuz Studio>Bluesound Node2i (streamer only)>Oyaide DB-510 bnc-bnc Digital Cable>iFi Retro 50 Dac-Amp>iFi LS3.5 Speakers.  Various tweaks in both systems - tubes, footers, grounding, Shakti devices, Nordost QK1, Furutech fuses, resonance generators.  

From Lumin X1 user PM at volume 100:

I worried that our source (Spotify) might not be good enough to reveal any difference. As things turned out, I was wrong.

We both heard an improvement in overall clarity. It's most noticeable in the midrange. There is more "presence" as if a veil had been lifted. (Less noise?) Bass notes might be a bit better differentiated. The stereo image is definitely bigger (height, width, depth). The system "sings" as if all connections had been cleaned and tightened.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

5 minutes ago, barrows said:

An exception would be the analog volume controls which adjust the gain of the circuit directly, rather than just being an attenuation stage

... and what about a VC that works by, as its designer says, "variating DAC's voltage reference plan"? (Metrum Adagio)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

2 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

... and what about a VC that works by, as its designer says, "variating DAC's voltage reference plan"? (Metrum Adagio)

I have no experience with this approach, and I have seen no measurements of a DAC which uses this approach to confirm or deny how well it works.  I can think of many potential problems with such an approach, such as varying impedance on the Vref supply rails which is contrary to my experience of how to get performance out of a DAC, but without measuring and seeing the results there is no way to know for sure.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

ok, thanks :)

btw... as far as I understand it... this approach can only be used in r2r NOS DACs, as the Adagio is

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

22 minutes ago, barrows said:

It should be noted that this holds true for analog volume controls as well.  An analog volume control is far from "perfect", and analog volume controls add their own noise and distortion to the signal.  The more attenuation one applies with an analog volume control, the more noise it will add (this is resistor noise, which increases with the amount of resistance).  So proper system gain matching is always advised for best performance.

An exception would be the analog volume controls which adjust the gain of the circuit directly, rather than just being an attenuation stage (Ayre, Mola Mola, PS Audio, maybe some others).  But it is important to note that these types of volume controls are not perfect either, generally speaking, every circuit is going to have a certain range of gain in which it performs its best, and large deviations away from that gain level will come with increased distortion and noise.

All this being said, in my experience, one can get an increase in transparency and overall fidelity, for sure, no matter how you achieve it, by getting rid of the preamp (assuming the DAC has a robust enough output stage to drive the amplifier's input stage properly).  And I feel, that given good implementation, and gain matching, a digital volume control, or an analog one, is not going to result in audible sonic problems if critical listening happens at -20 dB or above.  Just avoid pairing an amp with 30 dB of gain and 500 watts of power with 93 dB efficient speakers!

This time we agree 🙂

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

I am new owner of Lumin M1 - very happy with the purchase!

Using it together with Revel Performa3 F206 - it sound very good, nice and clear.

I have some question - is it possible to connect a subwoofer? (in previous setup i was using one, and bass was a little bit more present).

Maybe there is a way to use those USB ports+converter for sound out, i think i read this in some review...

Also, maybe in the future i will buy a dedicated amp - sound out will be great.