IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

1 hour ago, Mat said:

How to play Apple Music lossless with Lumin U1 mini ?

I try airplay and the lossless symbol is disappearing.

What Apple device are you using? iPhone / iPad, Mac, Apple TV?

If you using a Mac, you need to use the system AirPlay, not the app AirPlay.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

4 hours ago, wklie said:

Hypothetically even if it is upgraded (I'm not saying it's possible), you cannot get Apple Music Hi-Res delivery over AirPlay.

I do not think so. I have full faith on Lumin  and their team. One day they  will surely provide Hi resolution music through Airplay( like before SFP in Lumin, it was unthinkable).

1 hour ago, Mat said:

The problem when using airplay with ipad  , the lossless symbol in the song is disappear.😪

If possible, please try the iOS system panel AirPlay (instead of in-app AirPlay) and see if it makes any difference

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, Sanjeev said:

I do not think so. I have full faith on Lumin  and their team.

that was Lumin saying it 😉

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

If I may, the problem is with Apple. Airplay 1 or 2 is limited, actually, to AAC with Apple Music. Ridicoulus, but true. From Naim Software Director: 

Hi,

Currently Apple are forcing an aac link on Airplay2 when using Apple Music, even if the ui is saying lossless. This was documented on one of their FAQ pages.

So example:

Now lets turn on the internal metrics airplay2 trace:

Observe the aac 256kbit link.
As and when Apple ‘open the taps’ then that can go to 16/44.1 alac. Beyond that will need Apple to update Airplay2 in devices. There will be complexities of switching rates, gapless, buffer sizes and clock tracking different rates.

Best regards

Steve Harris
Software Director
Naim Audio Ltd.

Roon Rock (NUC8i3BEK), Lumin A1, Audioquest Water XLR, McIntosh C70, McIntosh MC302, McIntosh MC74 Tuner, Monsoon AC power cord, Audioquest Rocket 88, Dynaudio Focus 340 and BIS Audio EVO Powerstrip.

I'm wondering if there is a way to add an album or playlist to favorites inside the lumin app, I can do that through Tidal and Quobz apps but If a play  a new album through Lumin App, and I happen to like it, I can't find a way to add it favorites in lumin app, is this  feature  available in the app

thanks

@wklieHi, regarding Lumin U1 mini: a. If lumin operates as pre-amp when Leedh is turned on at which volume the integrated CXA81 amp would be set up ? I searched the manual and google it but did not find any unity gain on CXA81 amp,

b. When a song is played via app and want to add it on a saved playlist I can not do it directly. I have to first load the playlist that I want to save the song and then saved it.

On 6/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, nikolaos1969 said:

ok, so the Leedh processing should be turned off and the control of the volume should be operated via the amp.

@wklie Can you please tell me how much (in voltage power) is digital output signal in USB port of lumin U1 mini. Although, my amp does not have a unity gain I have noticed that operating Leedh processing at 60-70% and control the volume by the amp only the sound is much more transparent and clearer. Turning down the leedh processing the signal to the amp might overdrive the amp.

With Lumin U1 (MINI) volume control and re-sampling disabled, it produces a bit perfect output.  The digital bits in digital music cannot be translated to voltage without knowing the DAC.  This is a function of your DAC, so you need to ask your DAC manufacturer.

Some DAC have an issue known as inter-sample overs, in that case, setting Lumin digital volume to 94 would benefit them.  If you found further lowering it to be beneficial, I would suspect your DAC/amp/speaker setup is not ideal, or you are having a too much gain problem.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 6/14/2021 at 2:36 PM, wklie said:

a. If a unity gain cannot be found, please turn down the Lumin volume and turn up the amp volume.

b. Right.

I am new to this forum. I recently got a lumin t2. I have a cxa81 integrated to which t2 connects via a xlr. Would appreciate tips on the right settings. Given that cxa81 does not have unity gain which you recco on the connecting amplifiers, 1.Should Leedh be kept on or off given I am connecting to the pre of cxa81?
2. Should Analog output level be set to normal or low? With normal, three steps from zero on the through the amp remote comes across as loud

3. Should volume control be on or off?
3. If on, at what gain level should it be set?

Just by switching between these options, I am unable to discern the right settings. Thanks in advance

Amit

4 hours ago, LuminProac said:

I am new to this forum. I recently got a lumin t2. I have a cxa81 integrated to which t2 connects via a xlr. Would appreciate tips on the right settings. Given that cxa81 does not have unity gain which you recco on the connecting amplifiers, 1.Should Leedh be kept on or off given I am connecting to the pre of cxa81?
2. Should Analog output level be set to normal or low? With normal, three steps from zero on the through the amp remote comes across as loud

Just by switching between these options, I am unable to discern the right settings. Thanks in advance

Amit

What we need to do is match the T2 to the sensitivity of the amplifier. Looks like the sensitivity on the amp is way high as only a few notches and there's full power.

I had a look at the Cambridge website, but doesn't show how much voltage is required for full output, bummer.  Neither does the Lumin, what gives here?

Try this.

Set the Leedh to 10% output. Analog out to low. Set the amp volume to zero. Play something very easy & low dynamic range  content like Katy Perry, DR of 2.

Gradually increase the volume on the amp to setting say 10 o'clock max.

If the volume is too soft, increase the Leedh a little at a time. 10 o'clock on most amps is about rated. Keep going on the Leedh until it's REALLY loud and undistorted, and you're done.

It's also possible to connect a Coaxial cable <3m from the T2 to the amp. There's no volume control necessary, set the Leedh to 100% or off. Could also try USB, err, the transmission needs a fixer to control the noise, then the SQ becomes tolerable.

From both either anlaog or digital methods, you can pick which DAC you like best, the one in the T2 or the amplifier. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

5 hours ago, LuminProac said:

1.Should Leedh be kept on or off given I am connecting to the pre of cxa81?

1,3. For your case (T2 analog output), please keep Volume Control and Leedh Processing Volume turned on.

2. Set Analog Output Level to Low.  With this settings X1 T2 output 2V rms to the XLR, and 1V rms to the RCA.

4. If Lumin volume 100 at Low setting still does not give you a sufficient useful range of the preamp volume control, then you can further reduce the Lumin volume.

Alternatively, if you don't need to use other inputs of the amp, you may exclusively use the Lumin volume instead of the preamp volume.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 hours ago, wklie said:

1,3. For your case (T2 analog output), please keep Volume Control and Leedh Processing Volume turned on.

2. Set Analog Output Level to Low.  With this settings X1 T2 output 2V rms to the XLR, and 1V rms to the RCA.

4. If Lumin volume 100 at Low setting still does not give you a sufficient useful range of the preamp volume control, then you can further reduce the Lumin volume.

Alternatively, if you don't need to use other inputs of the amp, you may exclusively use the Lumin volume instead of the preamp volume.

Got it. Thank you. This did the trick. This let's me operate by setting the preamp volume between 9 o clock - 10 o clock and control the desirable loudness from the lumin app. I am assuming changing lumin volume is not adversely impacting

the dynamics and microdetail being output from lumin to cxa81(very hard to tell by ear). Thanks again.

Amit

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

What we need to do is match the T2 to the sensitivity of the amplifier. Looks like the sensitivity on the amp is way high as only a few notches and there's full power.

I had a look at the Cambridge website, but doesn't show how much voltage is required for full output, bummer.  Neither does the Lumin, what gives here?

Try this.

Set the Leedh to 10% output. Analog out to low. Set the amp volume to zero. Play something very easy & low dynamic range  content like Katy Perry, DR of 2.

Gradually increase the volume on the amp to setting say 10 o'clock max.

If the volume is too soft, increase the Leedh a little at a time. 10 o'clock on most amps is about rated. Keep going on the Leedh until it's REALLY loud and undistorted, and you're done.

It's also possible to connect a Coaxial cable <3m from the T2 to the amp. There's no volume control necessary, set the Leedh to 100% or off. Could also try USB, err, the transmission needs a fixer to control the noise, then the SQ becomes tolerable.

From both either anlaog or digital methods, you can pick which DAC you like best, the one in the T2 or the amplifier. 

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try with a coaxial cable and check. Anyways it would be cool to do a/b between lumin and cxa81 dac.. An things being constant. Will give usb also a shot. I have my entire 2 tb collection hosted through  Plex media server and earlier rendered through Google CCA and now to T2. Significant difference between CCA through cxa81 dac. Will try and also connect directly from lumin to cxa81 and check. That being said the main purpose to get T2 was to better the cxa81 dac I already gave

2 minutes ago, LuminProac said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try with a coaxial cable and check. Anyways it would be cool to do a/b between lumin and cxa81 dac.. An things being constant. Will give usb also a shot. I have my entire 2 tb collection hosted through  Plex media server and earlier rendered through Google CCA and now to T2. Significant difference between CCA through cxa81 dac. Will try and also connect directly from lumin to cxa81 and check. That being said the main purpose to get T2 was to better the cxa81 dac I already gave

Yes, level matching is becoming more of a problem than it should be. There are some insane DAC outputs like 10V, when most pre-amps or even power amps have a 2V maximum to full scale. Even 4V on XLR for an old DAC still gives me problems. For legacy amplifiers, the levels are less at 0.775V. 

Without causing an expectation to arise, the Lumin T2 has a firmer control on power supplies and shielding than the cxa81 would have, the advantage is already there, but you never know.  Allow quite a few hours on the Lumin to settle in, give it at least a week or two.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA