IGNORED

Civility

wdw

1 minute ago, lucretius said:

Wow!  This thread is really evoving into craziness.  Unless I'm mistaken, we are not discussing toleration of different races, cultures, religions, or politics -- just differing views on audio.  How about posters simply apply the Golden Rule: "Treat others how you would like to be treated."

If only that worked, but it (i.e."the golden rule")  is a manifest failure even on the insignificant level of an unimportant, consumerist/luxury "hobby" such as audio.  When applied to more important things such as your list, it's failure becomes even more obvious.

Why does the Gold Rule fail?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

7 minutes ago, crenca said:

If only that worked, but it (i.e."the golden rule")  is a manifest failure even on the insignificant level of an unimportant, consumerist/luxury "hobby" such as audio.  When applied to more important things such as your list, it's failure becomes even more obvious.

Why does the Gold Rule fail?

No one is suggesting the "golden rule" as a moral philosophy; just a practical rule of thumb on an Internet forum about audio.  (Why make this more complex than it has to be?)

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, crenca said:

I don't think it is complex to see that "treat others how you would like to be treated" assumes a commonality of self and understanding of reality that does not exist.  When I treat "the other" like I would be "treated", it turns out that they don't like it because they have a contradictory view (to mine).

That wasn't the "complexity" to which I was referring.  In any case, I've got to ask: Who cares?

mQa is dead!

11 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Some on this forum have said directly that opinions like mine should be suppressed in the interests of "civility", and I appreciate that Chris allows discussion that makes some uncomfortable.

This kind of thing is precisely what I had in mind.  The "interest of civility" leads to intolerance of people,  which strikes me as being a much worse thing that being intolerant of an idea.

9 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

This probably sounds wildly idealistic...

I would not say it is idealistic, though I do believe it presupposes a "con-sensus" (i.e. "with"-"sense", or the same sense, understanding, and view) of what it means to be part of the city (thinking of the entomology:  civilis).  

In other words the devil is in the details.  Anyone (and I submit just about everyone) can and does agree to the outline as you describe it.  What then happens is a topic or particular fact/situation/experience comes up in discussion that happens to be a kind of "non negotiable" in that overspills the boundaries of "civil disagreement".  Examples are easy to point too:  "science" vs. "creationism", whether one should stand for or burn the flag, who and what is a human being, and what is Reality (with a capital R) and what is not. 

These kinds of stressors then reveal that the participants are not all from the same city, and thus what is "civil" to one is not nothing more, and nothing less than, uncivil too another.  At this point these citizens-in-discussion can then try to look at these kind of foundational presuppositions - but this almost NEVER happens.  Turns out, people are not very good at the ground they walk on - they are usually too busy, too anxious, too fill-in-the-blank to do anything other than keep their eyes on the horizon.  

So, in the modern world you get this kind of endless debate between the city's and it really is a proxy for a power struggle - which con-sensus is going to define the terms of the "civil" debate...

15 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Argument and debate are by definition a collective endeavor. Self-centered speech with no regard for others' feelings is performance art, not discussion...

I like the way you put that.  I would say however that "feelings" is not quite the right word.  It has to be something larger, more significant than "feelings" because people can and do have feelings that don't deserve much (e.g. they can be childish, etc.), and sometimes it is necessary and good to if not directly challenge those feelings, to at least not allow them to control the discussion. 

No, it has to be a regard and respect for people as a thing-in-of-itself.  Not sure how to phrase it.  It is a weakness in our modern technocratic and "meritocratic" societies in that we tend to judge people (and everything else) in a kind of utilitarian way - in a  "what are you doing for me now" sense.

14 minutes ago, crenca said:

No, it has to be a regard and respect for people as a thing-in-of-itself.  Not sure how to phrase it.  It is a weakness in our modern technocratic and "meritocratic" societies in that we tend to judge people (and everything else) in a kind of utilitarian way - in a  "what are you doing for me now" sense.

I agree with your modification of the notion of "feelings" I mentioned above. And I think you've phrased it quite well, actually!

17 hours ago, crenca said:

I would not say it is idealistic, though I do believe it presupposes a "con-sensus" (i.e. "with"-"sense", or the same sense, understanding, and view) of what it means to be part of the city (thinking of the entomology:  civilis).  

In other words the devil is in the details.  Anyone (and I submit just about everyone) can and does agree to the outline as you describe it.  What then happens is a topic or particular fact/situation/experience comes up in discussion that happens to be a kind of "non negotiable" in that overspills the boundaries of "civil disagreement".  Examples are easy to point too:  "science" vs. "creationism", whether one should stand for or burn the flag, who and what is a human being, and what is Reality (with a capital R) and what is not. 

These kinds of stressors then reveal that the participants are not all from the same city, and thus what is "civil" to one is not nothing more, and nothing less than, uncivil too another.  At this point these citizens-in-discussion can then try to look at these kind of foundational presuppositions - but this almost NEVER happens.  Turns out, people are not very good at the ground they walk on - they are usually too busy, too anxious, too fill-in-the-blank to do anything other than keep their eyes on the horizon.  

So, in the modern world you get this kind of endless debate between the city's and it really is a proxy for a power struggle - which con-sensus is going to define the terms of the "civil" debate...

I think you make important points for discussion. Regarding one of them, "what is "civil" to one is nothing more, and nothing less than, uncivil too another", what do you see as prime examples on this site? 

In the meantime, something else I found and that digs a little deeper into what civility is:

Civility is not fundamentally about politeness but about proportionality; it is not a virtue with fixity in its rules but rather about measured-ness in engagement.  

Civility is… at the service of the promotion of a discourse that furthers the common good. As a virtue it asks for an expression of good will among all citizens, a good will that expresses itself not only in stances of respect and tolerance but also in the due diligence to express truthfully one’s own counterpart’s actual positions. But that good will, according to the context, must prudentially and therefore proportionately propose its argument in a style that advances the common good.  ---James Keenan

...a high standard.

Here at CA, do we recognize enough goods in common to give us a real stake in cultivating the capacity for tolerance across what divides us?

36 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Here at CA, do we recognize enough goods in common to give us a real stake in cultivating the capacity for tolerance across what divides us?

Civility is vital in, for example, diplomacy.  But we're not negotiating treaties or agreeing to political boundaries here.

While I believe I understand your desire to provide a clearly marked path of civility that we can choose to walk down or not, at some point, it starts to sound like monk-splaining.  And that might seem uncivil to some.

56 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Civility is vital in, for example, diplomacy.  But we're not negotiating treaties or agreeing to political boundaries here.

While I believe I understand your desire to provide a clearly marked path of civility that we can choose to walk down or not, at some point, it starts to sound like monk-splaining.  And that might seem uncivil to some.

hmmm...is it the avatar? Seriously, I think I get what you're saying, but like you recently posted, I'm trying to accept the risk of being misunderstood. Maybe I can help clarify my intentions. My questions here are real questions. By that I mean I don't have the answers. I am trying to question and understand, in part by offering explanations I've gathered from reading and reflecting on reading.

When I think of man-splaining, I think of condescension, particularly with regard to explaining the obvious. What is civility, tolerance, how do they apply here? I think you are implying that the answers are obvious. They are not obvious to me. Maybe they are to you, but that hasn't been my sense from what you have contributed.  I think we all have a tacit sense of what these things are so they may seem obvious, but I think upon investigation it may turn out they are not. 

You seem skeptical about civility. Maybe you even inherently distrust talk about as having a hidden uncivil agenda? You are entitled to that , if in fact that is your perspective. It might be interesting to explore it, but at present, I'm exploring with less skepticism.

As to whether this discussion is suitable for an audiophile hobby site? I think it is. Even if we come here to escape the world, the world leaks in, sometimes in surprising (and also not so surprising ways, in my opinion. Since I have been around this site, it seems like every few months the level of conflict on this site, and how it is handled, becomes the topic of its own thread. So there is concern here about how people treat, and mistreat each other. This is a core concern for a discussion based vehicle like this forum, which has relatively light-handed moderation....in my opinion that is.

8 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

hmmm...is it the avatar? Seriously, I think I get what you're saying, but like you recently posted, I'm trying to accept the risk of being misunderstood. Maybe I can help clarify my intentions. My questions here are real questions. By that I mean I don't have the answers. I am trying to question and understand, in part by offering explanations I've gathered from reading and reflecting on reading.

When I think of man-splaining, I think of condescension, particularly with regard to explaining the obvious. What is civility, tolerance, how do they apply here? I think you are implying that the answers are obvious. They are not obvious to me. Maybe they are to you, but that hasn't been my sense from what you have contributed.  I think we all have a tacit sense of what these things are so they may seem obvious, but I think upon investigation it may turn out they are not. 

You seem skeptical about civility. Maybe you even inherently distrust talk about as having a hidden uncivil agenda? You are entitled to that , if in fact that is your perspective. It might be interesting to explore it, but at present, I'm exploring with less skepticism.

As to whether this discussion is suitable for an audiophile hobby site? I think it is. Even if we come here to escape the world, the world leaks in, sometimes in surprising (and also not so surprising ways, in my opinion. Since I have been around this site, it seems like every few months the level of conflict on this site, and how it is handled, becomes the topic of its own thread. So there is concern here about how people treat, and mistreat each other. This is a core concern for a discussion based vehicle like this forum, which has relatively light-handed moderation....in my opinion that is.

I'm not skeptical about civility per se, I'm skeptical about the piety of those who seek to explain civility to "us".

You posted this some days ago:

...and one thing really stuck out for me in the quote you provided:

They're always here, ostensibly, to provide "clarity" and "truth" to the rest of us ignorant masses who are so dumb, we just want to share our happiness and our discoveries in music and audio. Only thing is, not one of them seems to recognize just how transparent they are.

Perhaps I misunderstood your intent, but I got a not too subtle "me too" from this:

Here is a quotation from early in the recently revived, and maligned, civility thread. It still rings true to me:

I took this to mean that you might be agreeing with those who choose ad hominem over reason.  At the very least, you seem to be agreeing with the tribal boundaries.  So I just assumed you have some dog in the fight and your implied objectivity was not really credible.  That's where the "monk-splaining" comes from.  With due respect, there is (perhaps only to me) the faintest whiff of hubris in many of your posts.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to be a mediating influence here.  I've certainly committed a multitude of sins of incivility myself and I'm sure it might happen again.  :)

I'm only suggesting that you may be unwittingly guilty of some of the sins you seem to want to scold others for committing.  I still very much believe that demands for civility come mostly from the "old school" audiophile tribe, and they're nothing more than a proxy for lamentation about what audiophilia used to be.  The internet is a powerful democratizing influence on public discourse (many, especially the "old school", might say not for the better).  Sometimes incivility can take the form of presenting the "old ways" as "the right ways".  I do fail to see how something like, "that's how my momma raised me" has any place in a discussion about audio tech.  But I'm certainly willing to entertain further discourse so long us you haven't already joined a tribe.

And for the record, I don't consider myself the member of any tribe other than perhaps, "free thinker".

17 hours ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I'm not skeptical about civility per se, I'm skeptical about the piety of those who seek to explain civility to "us".

You posted this some days ago:

...and one thing really stuck out for me in the quote you provided:

Perhaps I misunderstood your intent, but I got a not too subtle "me too" from this:

I took this to mean that you might be agreeing with those who choose ad hominem over reason.  At the very least, you seem to be agreeing with the tribal boundaries.  So I just assumed you have some dog in the fight and your implied objectivity was not really credible.  That's where the "monk-splaining" comes from.  With due respect, there is (perhaps only to me) the faintest whiff of hubris in many of your posts.

I sincerely appreciate your efforts to be a mediating influence here.  I've certainly committed a multitude of sins of incivility myself and I'm sure it might happen again.  :)

I'm only suggesting that you may be unwittingly guilty of some of the sins you seem to want to scold others for committing.  I still very much believe that demands for civility come mostly from the "old school" audiophile tribe, and they're nothing more than a proxy for lamentation about what audiophilia used to be.  The internet is a powerful democratizing influence on public discourse (many, especially the "old school", might say not for the better).  Sometimes incivility can take the form of presenting the "old ways" as "the right ways".  I do fail to see how something like, "that's how my momma raised me" has any place in a discussion about audio tech.  But I'm certainly willing to entertain further discourse so long us you haven't already joined a tribe.

And for the record, I don't consider myself the member of any tribe other than perhaps, "free thinker".

The subject here, as I read it, is civility and tolerance and how they apply to this forum generally. I feel like you are making me the subject and that you are vetting me, which strikes me as presumptuous. “Monk-splaining”, hubris, tribal, scolding, moralizing,“old school”, the suggestion of hypocrisy, all in one post on a Civility thread! Piling it on a bit thick, isn’t it? This  is all stated in a ‘civil’ manner, but could this be the very kind of veneer of politeness that you find so objectionable?

I agree that what presents itself as “freethought” sometimes looks surprisingly tribal.

The long quotation that I affirmed is from a statement by Barry Diament. I think context is important here:

http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/index.htm

He is often brought up as an example of a great contributor who was driven away, a loss for the forum according to many. He was a very gracious communicator generally. But he had some subjective views that I think some members just couldn’t tolerate. To condemn the way he was treated puts me in a tribe in your eyes but it does not in mine. My concern there was fairness, not subjectivity in approaches to audio hardware.

I’m not a "subjectivist” as I understand that applied here. I read and respect people like archimago, Sean Olive, Floyd Toole. I really like Tyll Hertsen’s approach to headphones. But why should I even have to say this? I try to take a measured practical position on approaching audio hardware, much like  Chris C. or Jud, or a number of others here that I appreciate and I don’t read as being tribal.

I’m not old school. Got serious about this hobby in 2011.

I do think it would be good to have thicker agreed upon definitions of loaded terms like objective, subjective especially. Maybe also “tribal” to the extent it names the heart of the problem here.

Enough about me. PM me if you must. Back to topic please, if there is any life left in it.

25 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

“Monk-splaining”

You have to admit, this was kind of funny.

25 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

He is often brought up as an example of a great contributor who was driven away, a loss for the forum according to many. He was a very gracious communicator generally. But he had some subjective views that I think some members just couldn’t tolerate. To condemn the way he was treated puts me in a tribe in your eyes but it does not in mine. My concern there was fairness, not subjectivity in approaches to audio hardware.

Unless someone wrapped him up in duct tape and whisked him off in a car, I doubt he was driven away.  He may have decided not to post any more, but unless he was far more weak-willed than evidenced here, there isn't a compelling case for him being driven away.

I've given serious thought recently to no longer spending much (if any) time here due to a handful of particularly unpleasant folks, most of whom now populate my ignore list, but if that comes to pass, it is on me, not anyone else.

I very much valued Barry's opinions and point of view, FWIW. But it is his decision and his business how he wants to spend his time, not anyone else's.  We should all respect that.