IGNORED

Civility

wdw

25 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Yes, it was my opinion.  

Seems to have hit a nerve.  Heh heh.  

That's perhaps the strongest and most compelling evidence in support of its veracity. 

Would you like a rimshot for that?  he-he. So your reasoned response turns out to be...snark. What a surprise! :o

Just a prejudice that serves your own interests, nothing really to suggest veracity.

You're just ducking the question, aren't you?

2 hours ago, mansr said:

Atheism is the belief that there is no god, theism is the belief that there is at least one god. Agnosticism is the rejection of both these beliefs on the grounds that the existence or not of gods is unknowable. It's binary with a high-z state.

No.  Atheism is the lack of belief in gods.  If you check any online atheism group they will confirm. 

From the Wikipedia page:

Atheism is, in the broadest sense, the absence of belief in the existence of deities

Therefore, you either possess a belief or are absent of a belief in god(s). Many agnostistics I know also call themselves atheists ( or "soft" atheists).

mQa is dead!

mansr said:

"Atheism is the belief that there is no god(s)"

lucretius said:

"No.  Atheism is the lack of belief in gods."

Wikipedia says:

"Less broadly, atheism is the rejection of belief that any deities exist. In an even narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities."

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

2 minutes ago, lucretius said:

Two points:

Belief does not imply knowledge.

and

Agnosticism is not knowledge -- it is a doctrine about knowledge.  Therefore, agnosticism does not imply belief.

Your logic is correct, but it rests on a "belief".  Or as you put it, a "doctrine" about knowledge which is a belief that your logic rests upon and without your logic would be "empty" as it were...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

8 minutes ago, wgscott said:

No. Atheism is the lack of a belief that there is a god:  without theism.

The dictionary says "disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods." The etymology is given as "from French athéisme, from Greek atheos, from a- ‘without’ + theos ‘god’." It's a stronger position than the "don't know, don't care" of agnosticism.

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Your logic is correct, but it rests on a "belief".  Or as you put it, a "doctrine" about knowledge which is a belief that your logic rests upon and without your logic would be "empty" as it were...

What's relevant here is that agnosticism does not imply belief in god(s).

mQa is dead!

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Dream on !!!

The objective facts bare me out however. Your reaction even backs the assertion that subjectivists do worry about a bias controlled evaluation. I've been offering to be onsite at someones setup for the better part of 6 years now with cash in hand. The fact that is out of all the times I've made a direct offer (~60 attempts at kicking the ball) I finally have one person that is confident enough in their hearing. 

4 hours ago, crenca said:

In the objectivist view, "delusional" is a perfectly valid, useful, and most importantly morally acceptable term.  Not only that, from the objectivist position, your attempt to declare the term morally unacceptable is itself a moral offense! 

Really ... ?? From Google's take,

"characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder."

Personally, I would see one or two people taking offense with this label ...

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Really ... ?? From Google's take,

"characterized by or holding idiosyncratic beliefs or impressions that are contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder."

Personally, I would see one or two people taking offense with this label ...

I'm trying to figure out what is at issue with the dictionary definition.

This is called Computer Audiophile. These systems are largely, if not mostly, asynchronous and highly buffered, but yet we see 100% unsupportable claims like two MD5 identical files can sound different. Or the storage type of HDD, SDD in a remote NAS can affect SQ, or enhanced oscillators in a Switch or Router or NIC can improve SQ, or Ethernet cables change sound, or the SATA cable even the brand of RAM. 

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

That is pure BS and speculation on your part.

It is what it is. I put up the offer. Some start to consider it and then back down once they've considered the ramifications. 

Again I'm going on-site next month for a visit and will follow up afterwards. 

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

I'm trying to figure out what is at issue with the dictionary definition.

This is called Computer Audiophile. These systems are largely, if not mostly, asynchronous and highly buffered, but yet we see 100% unsupportable claims like two MD5 identical files can sound different. Or the storage type of HDD, SDD in a remote NAS can affect SQ, or enhanced oscillators in a Switch or Router or NIC can improve SQ, or Ethernet cables change sound, or the SATA cable even the brand of RAM. 

With regard to differing electrical scenarios or environments for playback, there is nothing unexplainable about it. Once one gets to a certain level of precision incredible care has to be taken to get complete repeatability, with measuring - air currents around the space will alter the readings, say. So, the real question is how sensitive people's hearing is to subtle variations caused by any number of factors - not whether any measurable changes occur.

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

With regard to differing electrical scenarios or environments for playback, there is nothing unexplainable about it.

Then using measurements and bias controlled evaluation methods explain.... 

Once one gets to a certain level of precision incredible care has to be taken to get complete repeatability, with measuring - air currents around the space will alter the readings

I didn't know air currents around my ADC could effect it's sensitivity. I'll capture a track with a fan blowing air on it and one with not. Let me know which is which. 

So, the real question is how senstive people's hearing is to subtle variations caused by any number of factors - not whether any measurable changes occur.

Subtle variations happen all the time. All these tweaks seem to be able to surmount them. 

Thanks for the response and it's basic re-iteration of what I've heard before. 

People earn money everyday doing things they claim they can do. My offer is no different. If you say you can do my taxes correctly and I only pay up if you can't. That's an everyday occurrence. The accountant isn't under any undue stress. It's something they simply can do.

It's the same with the subjectivist that says 'night and day', 'readily apparent', 'easily discerned', 'hear differences everyday in all sorts of setups and venues'. 

When you make such statements and even go to the extreme of telling someone either their ears or their system or both 'aren't resolving' enough then you've placed yourself in the camp of self authored competency/authority. There should be no stress by getting paid for something insist you can do. 

I'm showing that you can't even get self proclaimed subject matter experts to step up when offered easy money.

On the flip side if the offer of $$ and coming out indeeds stresses out the subjectivist then that says much about what they actually believe. I'm in a win / win situation up to the point someone has me out and is able to take my $$. 

18 minutes ago, esldude said:

So if more audiophiles would get together and take a few tests the experience would de-condition the feeling of a challenge or threat.  I am not too surprised when I think it thru some at the low response such offers get.  

A group of us has done that on numerous occasions over the years in Sydney. Au.

Neither do most members have any degree of confidence in the ability of those who demand these things to set up fool proof tests over the Internet. Far too many Objectivists refuse to accept that even Internet transfer may affect final results, which is why I prefer to send physical media wherever possible. Even then, there is no guarantee that the equipment used by the recipient is of the same calibre, due to the huge variety of equipment available, including Software used for playback, and even the quality of the DAC used, as well as the rest of the playback chain including Speakers, and perhaps Headphone Amplifiers and the actual headphones used, even the type of music used !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

10 minutes ago, plissken said:

Thanks for the response and it's basic re-iteration of what I've heard before. 

People earn money everyday doing things they claim they can do. My offer is no different. If you say you can do my taxes correctly and I only pay up if you can't. That's an everyday occurrence. The accountant isn't under any undue stress. It's something they simply can do.

It's the same with the subjectivist that says 'night and day', 'readily apparent', 'easily discerned', 'hear differences everyday in all sorts of setups and venues'. 

When you make such statements and even go to the extreme of telling someone either their ears or their system or both 'aren't resolving' enough then you've placed yourself in the camp of self authored competency/authority. There should be no stress by getting paid for something insist you can do. 

I'm showing that you can't even get self proclaimed subject matter experts to step up when offered easy money.

On the flip side if the offer of $$ and coming out indeeds stresses out the subjectivist then that says much about what they actually believe. I'm in a win / win situation up to the point someone has me out and is able to take my $$. 

Other than at the very beginning, people earn money everyday doings things they know they can do.  Most people are similarly uncomfortable when starting a job they haven't done previously.  So your offer is VERY different from a job. 

I do agree with you, when people state night and day differences or think the difference is so large only poor systems or half deaf people could miss it they should pony up and show us.  With differences that large the test would be easy.  When they fail at a bare minimum they should learn the differences are not night and day.  Anything else is irrational.  However, we don't live in the world of should.  And it should be readily apparent from your experience your method won't entice people to take your tests.  They should, but they won't.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

A group of us has done that on numerous occasions over the years in Sydney. Au.

Neither do most members have any degree of confidence in the ability of those who demand these things to set up fool proof tests over the Internet. Far too many Objectivists refuse to accept that even Internet transfer may affect final results, which is why I prefer to send physical media wherever possible. Even then, there is no guarantee that the equipment used by the recipient is of the same calibre, due to the huge variety of equipment available, including Software used for playback, and even the quality of the DAC used, as well as the rest of the playback chain including Speakers, and perhaps Headphone Amplifiers and the actual headphones used, even the type of music used !

I can count on one finger the number of people I've encountered in my lifetime who believe that transferring binary data over the Internet changes it's sound quality.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull