IGNORED

CA Hall of Fame (unofficial)

k-man

I have a good vision for where CA is going…I am running a marathon with CA, not a 50 yard dash…Something must be going right with CA.

A thoughtful post from Chris. I applaud CA members (past and present) who have put so much of their time here, and thrive in this pacy marathon. I have got more out of here than I can ever possibly give. Let us begin acknowledging them so their legacy stands. Keeping it simple, who has helped you the most and want to see mentioned in the ‘Hall of Fame’?

Chris, have you considered a "thumbs up" / "thumbs down" system for ranking posts as helpful or not?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

CG

He seemed to come on board about the time Decibel(Ayrewave) came out. I find his sometimes laconic approach to combining real world experience(observation) with technical expertise in the arena to be extremely helpful. Coupled with his seemingly benign ego, I find his approach to things very informative. In all of this, I often wonder why he suffers us fools as he does not seem to NEED to be here to learn, but to teach.

Kudos, and thank you!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

as he is known.

1) His XXHE software is outstanding

2) His unique end to end vision culminating with the Phasure NOS 1 Dac

3) His posts, which although long are insightful, logical and most colourful

Of all the experts that kindly scatter pearls wisdom among the other posts on CA, PeterSt has contributed more to my understanding and system development than anyone else...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

My vote (clandestinely voting more than once which I learned from political elections) would include Demian and Tim and Steve for the sensational players which I am familiar with that bring wonderful rendition of music to our humble ears. Not excluding PeterSt whose creations I am not familiar with. Also for being visible and offering help to us when things go astray. Their presence at this forum contrasts with other studios not so present or helpful as they could be.

Best,

Richard

Hi Eloise - I certainly have considered the thumbs up / down feature. In fact I still am considering it as a way to recognize the best comments and make it easier for people to find the comments in a sea of less than helpful comments. I'm also considering a comment scoring system where readers give points 1 - 5 to comments.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My list (hope more than one is OK):

- barrows

- wgscott

- PeterSt

- Miska

- Gordon Rankin

- Demian Martin

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

wgscott gets right to the point in easily understood terms.

But please, wgscott, you're messin' me up with your new avatar!

Although I found your old one humorous, it also made it easier to quickly identify you. I guess I'll adapt...

As I was reading the 'all cables from same manufacturer' thread earlier, I was wishing that some people who use the system-generated generic avatar would provide their own so it would be easier to skip by their comments.

iMac/Pure Music => USB => Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1 => Van Alstine Ultra EC preamp + Ultra 550 amp => VMPS 626R + Adire sub

... in no specific order:

- Demian

- Miska

- PeterSt

But I also very much value the opinions/ideas of barrows, Clay, CG, wgscott and of course our host, Chris C.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

Barry Diament. As an audiophile and a critically acclaimed recording engineer I think he brings a valuable and different perspective to our discussions.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

Gordon Rankin

Demian Martin

Miska

Peter St.

I also wouldn't disagree with a single person already mentioned.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

There are many amazing contributers here.

For my audio "issues" these last 6 months, I've really appreciated both Barry Diament and Jim Smith's balanced and practical advice regarding equipment and it's set-up. They are also both role models for diplomacy on the internet.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I just like these guys. Next to a down-to-earth approach (WGScott) and technical knowledge of computer-based issues (Paul), they both have a sense of humor I really like!

Off-topic, @ Chris:

Chris, I mentioned this just now in another topic, but I believe there is a serious drawback to the thumbs-up/down system; it allows people to give a thumbs-down on posts that they do not agree with. Even if a post offers insight, is actually helpful or simply offers correct information, it can still be thumbed-down and end up in the "unread" oblivion...

I am not suggesting that all CA members would make use of it in this fashion, but I have owned/administered a couple of (rather serious albeit on quite different topics) forums myself, and disregarded this system because of the mentioned reason.

The same (more than less!) applies to the 1 - 5 system because of the "I agree" factor.

As far as my experience goes, I have (statistically) noticed that posts with thumbs-down or low ratings are seldom read. That means that posters that others in general agree with (forum-wide consensus!) get more attention, even if they are just dead-wrong.

Personally I am very pleased with the way you run the CA-forum, and with all due respect I beg you to not implement the above mentioned rating systems!

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

...gotta be Chris.

This site has a very gentle and collegial feel and this must rest firmly on his moderation and direction. Great site, fantastic forum for sharing knowledge and skills and the occasional visit from HI-Fi luminaries attest to his vision.

WDW

Further OT, Peter, I have voiced the same concerns about up/down. I posted my remarks at the paradigm shift thread so I won't go on about it here. Except to reiterate that I am in accord with your views about Chris, for the most part, and about a system whether implemented by Chris alone or his delegates or all of us. I shudder at the thought of such a model for one's expression and models of the world whether in balance or out of balance. Chris always has the option to get people's attention especially for all the times these threads have been hijacked by seemingly boorish repartee. Did not ted_b recently invite someone to stop hijacking the thread and start another one?

Keep the change.

Richard

In no particular order...

-Juergen (JR_Audio): He doesn't post much but whenever he does I always like his style. Factual, knowledgable, to the point, doesn't try to convince you you're right or wrong (or that he's right). I trust his judgment completely.

-Barrows: Like Juergen but on the other end *I* feel. Very knowledgable and I trust him very much as well. He does sometimes have a way to let you know though that while you may not be wrong, you're certainly not right... Take It or leave It. At least, that's how *I* read him. He is the first one I think about whenever I need technical advice.

-wgscott: He's a cracker! He does post a LOT but he always makes me laugh. Great sense of humour, always have a way to turn a heavy thread into some welcomed silliness/comic relief. He doesn't take himself too seriously and I like that. I'd probably have a beer with him just for fun. He's also the one who answered me the most in here with my many newbie questions. I thank him for that.

-Eloise: As Jack (Will&Grace) once put It about some character in the show, she's the know-it-all-daughter in Gilmore Girls. She has a keen eye for spotting and correcting less than stellar infos.

Kudos to some designers also... Demian (Auraliti) and Jesus (Sonore) are always helpful with their knowledge and generous in answering many questions. I feel they never really push their products in here nor do they shed a bad light on other's designers. I like that.

And, of course, there is our host Chris. His reviews are always the most informative and practical. I also appreciate how lately he puts the hardware in perspective and doesn't play the best game as there are no best for everyone.

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

I hesitate to post- still feeling gunshy! :)

Anyways, I think I enjoy the posts of most of the people here quite a lot. Any list will inevitably leave a ton of people off, and is rather unfair that way.

But--

Eloise is delightful. I enjoy the artful way she has of swooping into a conversation and clearing out the misconceptions with only a few lines.

Barry D. - extraordinary knowledge and how to apply it successfully, willing to share what he thinks with pretty much everyone, and on top of it, a nice guy.

WGScott - besides being about as smart as it is possible to be and stay sane, and sensible about how to spend money, and willing to have an open mind, he makes me laugh a lot. Bill missed his true calling- should have been up there with Akroyd, Belushi, Curtain, Morris, Chase, & Radner. Born too late I suppose...

Forrest, who has a way of presenting extraordinary things in a way that makes you stop and examine your assumptions.

Barrows- laser like and precise, with attention to detail that borders on genius.

Gordon, Demian, Tim, and dozens more who make utterly awesome equipment (nobody will get my little Proton out of my living handssss.... :) and yet are willing to stop and think, and even test and experiment.

Elsdude, Mark, Owen, CG, and many more who all have strong opinions (who does that remind you of? :) and no problem at all disagreeing, but who all have points of view that are interesting and worth listening to.

Clay, who is a technical genius, and with whom I doubt I will ever see eye to eye. Or ear to ear as the case may be... (grin) And who would be on me if I listed even a fraction of the people who deserve to be nominated... ]8)

Of course, Chris, who makes all this possible, and in my opinion writes the best audio reviews published anywhere. I may not always agree with what he concludes, but I never ever have any question of his honesty.

Dozens, if not hundreds, of other people, all contributing various expertise and opinions to the mix - Gregor, Sik, Miska, Peter, and many many more.

How can there possibly be a Hall of Fame list- pretty much everyone here is extraordinary?

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein