1 hour ago, rando said:

@Musicophile Rather than out there, I'd classify this album under test files. It was bought for the Alphorn pieces with yodeling thrown in as a bonus.  

Maybe I should consider relaunching my album thread so as not to disturb the serious minded work being done in here for posterity.  :)

Sure. We don’t want no alphorn business here. Just create your own alphorn of the evening thread. 

Joke apart, I imagine properly reproducing alphorn probably is a serious challenge for most speakers?

2 hours ago, rando said:

I should hope a trio of instruments that large pose difficulties.  They are not an instrument you expect to fit or perform in a recording space very well. Though certainly well played, you are correct they do not easily lend themselves toward audiophile recordings in the strict sense. 

I hope you have horn speakers ?

On 12/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, accwai said:

Any chance of sharing the list of most important works in history of Western music for the benefit of us audiophiles not so well-versed in the subject of music?

Sure, be glad too. 

However, to get a complete feel for the genre, you'll need important works from both Country AND Western...

?

From Radiohead to Little Feat and Bach

For jazz, classical, country and rock

I thank the Pioneer, the Mac and the Holy Peachtree

For keeping the volume higher than me

20 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Shining Light--Music from the Aquitanian Monasteries

Sequentia

A10301A00002455451.thumb.jpg.b2532bbfb62de2c246d1e1ad82e02660.jpg

Aquitania: Christmas Music from Aquitanian Monasteries (12th century)
Sequentia - Benjamin Bagby & Barbara Thornton, dirs

A10301A00002455460.thumb.jpg.c5805a2a785c4b4b38d9310f13fe110a.jpg

"The two titles, Aquitania and Shining Light, containing the vocal art of 12th c. Aquitaine (also known as St. Martial de Limoges) bring to fruition a project which is as old as the ensemble: one of Sequentia’s first projects in 1979 was a concert programme devoted to music from St. Martial, commissioned by the city of Limoges. Together, these two discs they contain a large cross-section of music from this fertile period in European musical life: 38 pieces, polyphonic and monophonic, in celebration of Christmas and the mystery of Incarnation. This is Sequentia’s first recording project made in North America. These two CDs should have been released as one double-CD, but the record label preferred to keep them separate. Bagby & Thornton are joined by men’s and women’s vocal ensemble – 14 singers – and Elizabeth Gaver directs a large instrumental ensemble of fiddles, with Norbert Rodenkirchen playing the medieval flute."

https://www.allmusic.com/album/aquitania-christmas-music-from-aquitanina-monasteries-12th-century-mw0000713496

Thank you! I love Sequentia; got hooked with their interpretations of Hildegard von Bingen.