6 hours ago, TAV said:

Care to elaborate?  ..... misses the point on every song? 

From "That Don't Make it Junk":

Too late to fix another drink
The lights are going out
I'll listen to the darkness sing
I know what that's about.

Did you get any darkness from her rendition of the song? She recited the lines without understanding the meaning.

The next track, Cry To Me, is also supposed to be dark, but again, I didn't get any sense of darkness. I wasn't ready to give up until she finished the Joni Mitchell song, which she delivered in the same style as the first two. No inner conflict, just pretty singing.

7 hours ago, Daccord said:

From "That Don't Make it Junk":

Did you get any darkness from her rendition of the song? She recited the lines without understanding the meaning.

The next track, Cry To Me, is also supposed to be dark, but again, I didn't get any sense of darkness. I wasn't ready to give up until she finished the Joni Mitchell song, which she delivered in the same style as the first two. No inner conflict, just pretty singing.

Ahh,  thanks for clarifying that.  

Modest Mussorgsky

Pictures at an Exhibition (arranged by Ilkka Pälli for low strings)

Sinfonia Lahti Cello and Bass Ensemble

I love this recording!  Classical buffs will know that this piece was written by Mussorgsky for solo piano.  The most common practice is to perform the version for orchestra created by Maurice Ravel, but there are many other arrangements/orchestrations.  Leopold Stokowski wrote a spectacular orchestration, for example, which is probably my favorite of the versions for full orchestra.  This one has a completely different effect, being solely for cellos and double basses--intimate and foreboding!  Incidentally, for the piano original by Mussorgsky, my favorite recording is by Leif Ove Andsnes.

890527667_BassicInstinctsa.thumb.jpg.d073b2db48c24dcdf9986ea8275c01ef.jpg

1359635802_BassicInstinctsb.thumb.jpg.661498290e42f4a1b27569cddf17d0ca.jpg

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子