Tycho's latest, Epoch.  With roots in a low-fi'ish "garage" electronic scene, most of Tycho's work is not true "audiophile" quality.  I generally listen to them over bluetooth when working out, but Epoch is sounding good (if not great) through the hi-fi...

Tycho - Epoch.jpg

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Friday eve winter solstice listening:

John Tavener: Total Eclipse. Agraphon

Academy of Ancient Music / Paul Goodwin - Conductor

MI0000708834.thumb.jpg.c5a8d16af583342417701897dc4244b6.jpg

MI0001087915.thumb.jpg.4043b6decf5b7f7d788f2fbf3426c07d.jpg

Tavener's notes: http://www.musicsalesclassical.com/composer/work/11842

https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/album/tavener-total-eclipse-agraphon-the-academy-of-ancient-music-paul-goodwin/0093046727123

"John Tavener’s ability to arrest the listener’s ear is nowhere more apparent than in the extraordinary opening pages of Total Eclipse. The work, Tavener tells us, is an esoteric contemplation on the word metanoia – meaning ‘change of mind’ or ‘conversion’ – and Tavener uses the conversion of St Paul on the road to Damascus in order to give the work structure and meaning." -Gramophone

Total Eclipse is a difficult piece and has received mixed reviews from lofty praise to scorching critique.

There are SACDs floating around, but I didn't find high-res download.

It's still unsettling in a way to see anyone other than Christopher Hogwood leading the Academy of Ancient Music, just as it is for anyone other than Trevor Pinnock to lead The English Concert!  I find that both ensembles have now lost part of what gave them each a distinctive "voice" compared to other orchestras.  Oh, well, time marches on, and I'm grateful for Trevor Pinnock's solo work since he stepped down from The English Concert.  Not sure what Christopher Hogwood is doing now, I guess I'll have to "google" him lol

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子