9 hours ago, EuroChamp said:

In 2016 he released an album, called Schubert/Beethoven. As far as I remember, the Schubert is quite okay.

I heard many of his recordings. Sokolov has extremely idiosyncratic way of dealing with musical pieces - almost everything is "his own". In some cases it may work – you resist strongly, nevertheless in certain moment you find yourself captured by its crooked logic. What a pity in most of the cases this moment is not coming.

11 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

I heard many of his recordings. Sokolov has extremely idiosyncratic way of dealing with musical pieces - almost everything is "his own". In some cases it may work – you resist strongly, nevertheless in certain moment you find yourself captured by its crooked logic. What a pity in most of the cases this moment is not coming.

Seems to be his specific style ...

Composer and saxophonist Yosvany Terry with French pianist Baptiste Trotignon, Yunior Terry on bass and Jeff “Tain” Watts on drums.

From Yosvany Terr's website - "  the project captures the rhythms, melodies, and harmonies of the Caribbean, New Orleans and French Louisiana, re-imagined through 21st century aesthetics and a jazz sensibility"

Excellent jazz

Via Tidal

image.png.f338c78d1c88374420f9cd38acea4f1d.png

21 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Which are other favorites?)

For no. 1, anything with Szell (Curzon, Fleisher, Serkin), but I also like Zimerman/Rattle. 

For no. 2, Gilels in the different permutations, idem for Richter.

See also here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/06/12/gerukr-differently-brahms-piano-concerto-no-2-with-gilels-ukr-and-jochum-ger/

On 10/3/2017 at 9:09 AM, accwai said:

That reminds me, I have a stash of works by Toru Takemitsu that I should go through sooner rather than later.

And speaking Zen inspired music, album of last weekend:

禅 · 意

81oe%2BW3dDsL._SL300_.jpg

Rhymoi Blu-spec CD. Got mine from local China town. Image above has link to Amazon China.

Some combinations of Qin, bamboo flute and percussion on each track. Some of the tracks are from traditional Qin repertoire, those are Qin solo. The rest are improvisation with two or three instruments. The album cover has the English title Zen · Mind, but it's probably more appropriately translated as Sentiment of Zen.

Anyway, not posting for a little while since the Internet connection to my house was cut by vandal middle of last week. Lots of work to get Internet back :(

@accwai

Just got this in my main language (Spanish) and it's very good, but available in several languages from:

https://www.zamstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=841_843_669&products_id=30287

59e03897b2b29_SogyalRinpoche.thumb.jpg.b1a85f0c12094300d8239e2d0953e831.jpg

Roch

Ferdinand David: Caprices Suite for Solo Violin, Op. 43

Reto Kuppel

9.70213.gif

The whole album is only 11min. Was going to post it to Song of the Day, but couldn't find a video anywhere.

Ferdinand David was a professor at Leipzig Conservatory, so writing solo violin studies was quite natural. He was also heavily involved with Felix Mendelssohn and the Gewandhaus orchestra in Leipzig, original founded by J.S. Bach. And he was the soloist that premiered Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto in E minor. Interesting. Didn't know that until quite recently.

Cara Dillon's latest, "Wanderer":

5052442012139_600.jpg

Available as Redbook download:

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/wanderer-cara-dillon/5052442012139

As always, beautiful music, pristine voice and recording :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

5 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Cara Dillon's latest, "Wanderer":

5052442012139_600.jpg

Available as Redbook download:

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/wanderer-cara-dillon/5052442012139

As always, beautiful music, pristine voice and recording :)

Thanks for recommending her. She is a new artist for me.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull