Needed something to wind down after a long Easter weekend with too much food and wine (and a decent share of Bach passions, see above).

0002894831887_600.jpg

I must admit I had never consciously heard of Graun before. Turns out he is quite enjoyable.  And this is really Lezhneva at what she does best. Enchant us with baroque arias.

4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

Needed something to wind down after a long Easter weekend with too much food and wine (and a decent share of Bach passions, see above).

0002894831887_600.jpg

I must admit I had never consciously heard of Graun before. Turns out he is quite enjoyable.  And this is really Lezhneva at what she does best. Enchant us with baroque arias.

I too have but an hour of his work, mostly pieces for the viola da gamba by Frey and Perl and a few vocal works on Bartoli's "Sacrificum. I welcome the opportunity to discover these "also rans".

I see that he also wrote some works for the 'Christian season' but I am "passioned" out at the moment.

Graun: Der Tod Jesu - Passion Cantata

51BLsB7n1-L.jpg

As I write this I learn that the pieces by Graun in my library are the works of brothers.

From Wikipedia...

"Johann Gottlieb Graun (27 October 1703 – 28 October 1771) was a German Baroque/Classical era composer and violinist, born in Wahrenbrück. (His brother Carl Heinrich was a singer and also a composer, and indeed is the better known of the two.)"

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

On 4/12/2017 at 6:18 PM, Musicophile said:

Rana's Goldberg has received highest praises by pretty much every professional reviewer out there.

I find her approach very intimate and interesting, but I'm not yet 100% sold. Probably need to play it some more times.

Her Goldbergs are "nice". Pretty sounds. Rather superficial reading though. Closer to the end I found myself not listening anymore while she was laboring through the notes with apparent strain (var.25, for instance). Far from the top of my personal list.

This disc has stunning play and superb sound, but it's exhausting to listen in one sitting due to the nearly non-stop flying fingers!

51zcmIDa3pL._SS500.jpg

MI0001157718.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

A surprising new release. Via Tidal.

58f8031b1f6e0_billevansmonday.thumb.jpg.ef2bbd903df9fc8015ccd73f51a55057.jpg

From billevansmusic.com:

On A Monday Evening offers Bill Evans fans a rare treat: an unreleased (and never bootlegged!) concert recording of The Bill Evans Trio, featuring Eddie Gomez and Eliot Zigmund from Monday, November 15, 1976. Captured live at Madison, Wisconsin’s Union Theater, On A Monday Evening finds Evans at the top of his game, performing both contemporary compositions from that era, as well as his longstanding signature tunes to a packed house. New liner notes by GRAMMY Award-winning jazz historian Ashley Kahn round out the package, featuring commentary by Eddie Gomez and Eliot Zigmund

2 hours ago, Klavier said:

Fabio is fabulous! Demonstration-quality sound, too.

819hg%2BeftcL._SL500_.jpg

Indeed, Vivaldi at his best to my ear. If you like your Vivaldi "d'amore", this is also very good.

Vivaldi: Concerti per viola d'amore

Fabio Biondi with Europa Galante

81iI-gzb0PL._SL1425_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

cover.thumb.jpg.05bfef116278ca4c9930b7caab8d503b.jpg

Schumann: Cello Concerto & Piano Trio No. 1. Jean-Guihen Queyras beautifully plays the concerto, with the Freiburger Barockorchester conducted by Pablo Heras-Casado. (A baroque group playng Schumann? Yes, but it makes for an intimate, engaging reading). Queyras joins Alexander Melnikov on piano and Isabelle Faust on violin in the trio, also a very fine performance.

The sound, from a 24/96 Qobuz download, is vivid and clear, but also a bit harsh and with little hall ambiance. Perhaps the result of close miking.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

These performances are technically very clean, but I don't detect a lot of personality in his playing, a common problem with many young musicians. Very well recorded--he's practically in my listening room!

51ggg5tt%2BwL.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22